Rachel-K
0 Kudos

World War Two / Holocaust Links

Two group members have asked for a place to post links to historically relevant material available on the web. If you have one you want to share (even if you've already posted it in another thread) please post it here, and it can be a thread to browse through as we have time. (Um, does FL ever have down time?)

Also, please remember to post a brief note describing the material you are linking to, so your fellow group members know what they're clicking into.

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Re: World War Two / Holocaust Links

Thank you Rachel.

Here is the World War II timeline I posted earlier in another thread.

http:///www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/ww2time.htm#1940

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this Rachel and thanks to the users for posting links!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

I was interested to find out more about the camp in France that is mentioned in the book. Otto Schelling, the German, who lives in Harry Vale's house and works at the garage sends money to Gurs where his wife is held captive.

And here is the link:

http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/places/camps/western-europe/gurs/

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Edward Murrow was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. You can listen to his voice here:

http://www.radiohof.org/news/edwardmurrow.html

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Edward Murrow was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. You can listen to his voice here:

Thank you Sunitcloud, hearing Edward Murrow's voice and the air raid sirens gave me chills.

Cora

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

You're welcome, Cora. I had chills too while I was listening.

Coral50 wrote:

Thank you Sunitcloud, hearing Edward Murrow's voice and the air raid sirens gave me chills.

Cora

Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Re: Images of the Holocaust.

At the age of 13 I was taken by my father to see the Pathe News Gazette film of the liberation of the Belsen death camp:smileysad:.  These images of man's inhumanity to man seared themselves upon my brain and helped to make me a lifelong political activist, as my father probably intended.  Despite their sickmaking horror, I think they should be shown to every schoolchild in the world as a warning of what tyranny, war and racial prejudice can engender. This is a documentary made at that time 'to serve our collective memory', which is chillingly narrated by Alfred Hitchcock. If you have not seen these images, I urge you to have the courage to watch them and remember.  Also, one of the things which Hitchcock brings to our attention is that it was not only 6 million Jews who perished in the death camps but people of many other denominations, races and political persuasions, not least homosexuals and communists, the latter being at the forefront of the fight against Nazism in the early 1930s.

This is not what we went to war about, as is often supposed, but it remains a salutary lesson about what being at war can lead to and why striving for peaceful solutions to international problems is so essential.  'Jaw Jaw not War War', as Churchill said after WWII. .     

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Thank you for posting this Sunltcloud; it certainly adds a whole new dimension to the story.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Choisya,
I don't watch most fictional films about war, but force myself to watch documentaries and agree with you that every schoolchild should see this. Several places were mentioned of which I had no previous knowledge, such as Ebensee, Mauthausen, Ludwigslust, and Ohrdruff. To my surprise I reacted most to a scene that depicts a child eating soup after Belsen was discovered.

Choisya wrote:

At the age of 13 I was taken by my father to see the Pathe News Gazette film of the liberation of the Belsen death camp:smileysad:.  These images of man's inhumanity to man seared themselves upon my brain and helped to make me a lifelong political activist, as my father probably intended.  Despite their sickmaking horror, I think they should be shown to every schoolchild in the world as a warning of what tyranny, war and racial prejudice can engender. This is a documentary made at that time 'to serve our collective memory', which is chillingly narrated by Alfred Hitchcock. If you have not seen these images, I urge you to have the courage to watch them and remember.  Also, one of the things which Hitchcock brings to our attention is that it was not only 6 million Jews who perished in the death camps but people of many other denominations, races and political persuasions, not least homosexuals and communists, the latter being at the forefront of the fight against Nazism in the early 1930s.

This is not what we went to war about, as is often supposed, but it remains a salutary lesson about what being at war can lead to and why striving for peaceful solutions to international problems is so essential.  'Jaw Jaw not War War', as Churchill said after WWII. .     

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Here is a link to Ebensee, one of the camps mentioned in the documentary Choisya posted. It was small in size but big in cruelty and brutality. One of the commandants, Otto Riemer, gave extra cigarettes to the sentries who could account for the most death. Another one, Georg Bachmayer, hung people from trees and let his dog loose on them.

Sunltcloud wrote:

I don't watch most fictional films about war, but force myself to watch documentaries and agree with you that every schoolchild should see this. Several places were mentioned of which I had no previous knowledge, such as Ebensee, Mauthausen, Ludwigslust, and Ohrdruff. To my surprise I reacted most to a scene that depicts a child eating soup after Belsen was discovered.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for adding these links.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Sunltcloud: 

Thank you. Quite humbling.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sunltcloud wrote:

Wow I didn't realize this character was real. Chilling to listen to the sample of his voice.

Thanks for all the links. I am finding them very informative.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks Snltcloud.  If you can bring yourself to read more truths and statistics, I suggest the latest edition of Hitler, the Germans, and the Final Solution, which has facts discovered in more recent times from both Allied and German archives, and which also debunks some of the myths. Kershaw is one of the most respected authors in this field.

Sunltcloud wrote:

Here is a link to Ebensee, one of the camps mentioned in the documentary Choisya posted. It was small in size but big in cruelty and brutality. One of the commandants, Otto Riemer, gave extra cigarettes to the sentries who could account for the most death. Another one, Georg Bachmayer, hung people from trees and let his dog loose on them.

Sunltcloud wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

This is a great site for history and remembrance.  Very informative.

Thanks

Sunltcloud wrote:

I was interested to find out more about the camp in France that is mentioned in the book. Otto Schelling, the German, who lives in Harry Vale's house and works at the garage sends money to Gurs where his wife is held captive.

And here is the link:

http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/places/camps/western-europe/gurs/

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Thanks for the links, very interesting

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Sunitcloud,

Yes I remember the child. This documentary brought me to tears and prayer. OMG

Cora

Sunltcloud wrote:

Choisya,

Choisya wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I just now finished watching the documentary for which you provided the link. I could not watch all of it; I had to look away and just listen to it, now and again. It was overwhelming and like nothing I have ever seen before. I don't think it is easy to view but I believe it is a valuable documentary because it preserves the images of what really did happen and the horror of it can never be denied. Truthfully, it literally turned my stomach because of its intensity. I am not sure schoolchildren would come out of it unscathed. It is the stuff of nightmares. The film I just saw showed the evil that man is capable of and it knew no bounds.
I hope that the film that your father took you to see at the age of thirteen, was a watered down version of it. I hope he held your hand and offered you comfort and explanations to help you understand that it didn't have to be that way, that man allowed it to happen, that people could prevent it from happening again if they were vigilant. I can't imagine its effect on you who had already lived through bombings and other nightmares!
Thank you for sharing it.

Choisya wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It wasn't a watered down version - it was straight from the newsreels of the day.  I came out of it relatively unscathed I think:smileyhappy:. The point is TWJ, that my father thought people, including children, should be shocked and upset because only by searing such images onto their brains did he think these horrors would stop. German  schoolchildren are taken to the death camps as part of their history lessons and these images are displayed there.  It certainly had an effect on me and caused me to be engaged in many political causes, both in my young life as well as later, including the return of Jews to Israel.  He did not hold my hand but he thoroughly explained what led up to the Holocaust and the politics of Germany after Versailles. We discussed newspaper articles together and he gave me books to read.  It was an intellectual hand holding.   I have done the same for my own children and my 18 year old grandchild (who is about to go to Oxford to read geo-politics and wants to work in the developing world) - they have all seen these films at my bidding.  I urge you to get others to see them, young and old.  
I would also show (senior) schoolchildren images of other genocides like those under Stalin, in Rwanda, in Bosnia.  I think this news is disgraceful and IMO the sooner our history teachers start to teach about 20th century horrors instead of, say, those of the Inquisition, the better. Fortunately, some are being taught about the Holocaust. BTW have you seen/read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas ?

thewanderingjew wrote:

I just now finished watching the documentary for which you provided the link. I could not watch all of it; I had to look away and just listen to it, now and again. It was overwhelming and like nothing I have ever seen before. I don't think it is easy to view but I believe it is a valuable documentary because it preserves the images of what really did happen and the horror of it can never be denied. Truthfully, it literally turned my stomach because of its intensity. I am not sure schoolchildren would come out of it unscathed. It is the stuff of nightmares. The film I just saw showed the evil that man is capable of and it knew no bounds.
I hope that the film that your father took you to see at the age of thirteen, was a watered down version of it. I hope he held your hand and offered you comfort and explanations to help you understand that it didn't have to be that way, that man allowed it to happen, that people could prevent it from happening again if they were vigilant. I can't imagine its effect on you who had already lived through bombings and other nightmares!
Thank you for sharing it.

Choisya wrote: