dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: About The Wake of Forgiveness" and Bruce Machart

ilenekm wrote:

I am having a really hard time getting into this book. I have read only 15 pages and I cannot seem to pass it. It seems as though I am the only one having this problem.  Do I need to read further for it to grab me? I really love the first look program and feel bad putting this down after I committed to reading it by getting the book for free

I agree that the subject that Bruce writes about is hard to accept, and that may put some people off, but the narrative and the beautiful way he portrays his characters have really brought me in even though the cruelty is hard to handle. But there's no one that says we all have to like the same novels what a dreary world that would be and FL is all about how we feel about the particular book we're reading, so just try to keep reading and see where it leads you after all 15 pages is not very far.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I had a hard time too, but having read the first section and participated in the discussion, I am ready to continue on. The violence was what turned me off. I encourage you to continue. It will be worth it.

ilenekm wrote:

I am having a really hard time getting into this book. I have read only 15 pages and I cannot seem to pass it. It seems as though I am the only one having this problem.  Do I need to read further for it to grab me? I really love the first look program and feel bad putting this down after I committed to reading it by getting the book for free

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
fordmg

This does seem to be more of a "male" book.  But really, this book shows an accurate portrait of the way life was iin the early 20th century.  Unfortunately it was a hard life back then and we need to becareful not to judge charachters and story lines by our 21th century morals.  There were no TV's , cell phones, computers etc. Children didn't have fancy toys to play with.  Families were often large, if all the children lived.  Men would remarry to have someone to take care of their children if a wife/mother died.  It isn't fair to look for the perfect husband who would nurture the family.  They worried about putting food on the table.  Turning this story into a romance would not accurately portray the time and culture of Texas farming in the early 1900's.  And we all seem to agree that the writing style is great. 

So anyway, the next time you are dreaming about the 'good old days', they maybe weren't so good after all. 

MG

DSaff wrote:

I had a hard time too, but having read the first section and participated in the discussion, I am ready to continue on. The violence was what turned me off. I encourage you to continue. It will be worth it.

ilenekm wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I as well as DSaff agree that you should keep reading because I also had a real hard time to keep on reading-but I did because I felt obligated having gotten the book for the discussion.  Believe me it does get better, you just have to get through the "not easy to read" parts. 

Kittysmom

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ilenekm:  I agree with you that is is/was hard to read.  I was not comparing to todays standard, nor was I imparting 'unrealistic expectations' when I read the book.

I wonder now that two weeks is past have you read more of  the book?  Were you able to finish the book?  Do you even desire to finish the book?

I made myself read the book, even though I had other books which caught my eye more so...

The start and stop of the scenes made it a hard read for one; and the language or analogies thru-out was a bit too intense for some passages.

I read the thread about how harsh farm life was during the timeframe, yet not every family had these trials/tribulations nor treatment of the family in which the book is based upon.  "It is what it is" and just that!  

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I had read everyone threads, and I felted no need to post the same things that had already been voice. Plus I so agree with you that I had other books that I wanted to read, but I tried to give this book a fair chance.