Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Community Room

Feel free to gather and chat here.

What's everyone reading?

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Just finished reading Chris Bohjalian's Secrets of Eden.  Am just beginning Kings of the Earth  by Jon Clinch.

Barb

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Crescendo and listening to Linger. Both very good so far.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I just started Bernard Cornwall's new book The Burning Land.  It is the fifth book of his Saxon Tales series.  I should be ready for this book by the end of the month.

MG

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I just got a copy of Kings of the Earth and will be interested in what you think about it. I have a few others to read first. LOL

babzilla41 wrote:

Just finished reading Chris Bohjalian's Secrets of Eden.  Am just beginning Kings of the Earth  by Jon Clinch.

Barb

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I am currently finishing up Resurrection in May, and am reading Mudbound. Another book I am getting ready to start is The Passage.

Resurrection in May

Mudbound

The Passage

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I just got a copy of Kings of the Earth and will be interested in what you think about it. I have a few others to read first. LOL

babzilla41 wrote:

Barb

Donna:

Will let you know about Kings of the Earth.  The main characters, the three brothers, actually lived about 45 minutes from where I live.  So will be interesting to see how familiar the geography, etc will be.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

I am currently reading "Eat, Pray Love".  Finished up "The Mailbox" which was a good one. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

babzilla41 wrote:

Barb

I just finished Secrets of Eden a few weeks ago as well.  Really liked it; did you read his previous book, The Double Bind?  Also a really great read!

coffee_luvr

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

I just finished Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.

Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death Series #1)

I will probably start House Rules next.

House Rules

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
dhaupt

I am reading 

Antiphon 

for the sneak peek in Sci-Fi 

and

Drawing in the Dust 

for the August read at General Fiction

and 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

for my pleasure read

Donna let me know what you think of The Passage

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I am reading 

Antiphon 

Debbie-  How are you liking Antiphon? I got it the other day for Sneak Peek, and am getting ready to start it.

-Lisa

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Contributor
ESTONE
0 Kudos

I just finished "The Shack" and I am about finished with "Eat, Pray, Love"   I am kind of on a religion kick right now...who knows what started it.

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I am currently reading

The Scent of Rain and Lightning 

Contributor
BHall
0 Kudos

I, too, am interested in the Kings of the Earth.  I enjoyed Jon Clinch's first book, Flinn as well.  Please do let us know.   

babzilla41 wrote:

DSaff wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Barb

Donna:

Will let you know about Kings of the Earth.  The main characters, the three brothers, actually lived about 45 minutes from where I live.  So will be interesting to see how familiar the geography, etc will be.

b

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

This is a wonderful book! I hope you enjoy it.  =)

jabrkeKB wrote:

I am currently reading

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just finished reading

The Elegance of the Hedgehog 

And I'm planning on starting

Apologize, Apologize! 

and of course, I hope to also start the FL book  :smileyvery-happy:

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I am reading 

Antiphon 

and

Drawing in the Dust 

for the August read at General Fiction

and 

Hurricanes in Paradise 

for my pleasure read

Donna let me know what you think of The Passage

I am reading Antiphon and Drawing in the Dust like Debbie. I have read the first sections of both and really like both of them. I just finished The Passage and The Left Hand of God. Both good books.

The Passage

The Left Hand of God

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Well,  I just got the fastest confirmed in all the times I've done the First Look!  Exciting.

I just put down Wolf Hall.  It was with great reluctance that I chose not to read it at this point.

However.....as much as I was enjoying the new perspective on a well-known story. and the picturesque writing, I was really struggling with her presentation of characters.  With Mantel referring to them at various times by their first name, last name, title, it just was taking too much for me to follow at this point.  I plan to pick it up once I'm no longer pregnant and am not in the new baby fog.  I think I might give it a go again next summer.   I just wasn't not getting all out of it that it has to offer.

So, now this is embarrassing, I'm reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.  My friend loaned me the first 4 in the series claiming it was perfectly mindless and just what I needed for a VERY hot, very pregnant summer.

On the way I have The Cheese and The Worms by Ginzburg which I will likely start this week and I'm also going to read The Help this month (for a irl book club on the 7th of September).

So, there you go - my reading list for the next few weeks.  Supposedly the Harris series books take about 2 days to read at most.

Amanda

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

I am currently reading

I just read this book also. I thought it was one of the best that I've read recently. You might want to read The Virgin of Small Plains also by Nancy Pickard. It's excellent.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~