Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

debbaker wrote:

Jane M is right-if we don't like it we don't have to finish it--no law. But, I am one of those people who has a hard time not finishing a book even when I don't like it. It is a me thing. I am working on changing that.

My confirmed message came through today! I am very excited.:smileyvery-happy:

I know it is hard to just give up on a book, no matter how much time I may have invested in it.  I have been trying to change that about myself as well.  I sometimes feel ( or have frequently) obligated to finish a book- especially one that someone else has enjoyed or recommended.  I need to work on changing that too. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
BookWoman718

liisa22 wrote:

debbaker wrote:

Jane M is right-if we don't like it we don't have to finish it--no law. But, I am one of those people who has a hard time not finishing a book even when I don't like it. It is a me thing. I am working on changing that.

I know it is hard to just give up on a book, no matter how much time I may have invested in it.  I have been trying to change that about myself as well.  I sometimes feel ( or have frequently) obligated to finish a book- especially one that someone else has enjoyed or recommended.  I need to work on changing that too. 

If I find my interest is lagging, I will sometimes stop and ask myself if I really care to find out what happens to these people, especially in fiction.   Sometimes there seems to be not one character that you relate to.  Then I'll give myself permission to just lay it down and be done.

On the other hand, sometimes it's a matter of timing or just plain "mood".  You can feel the need for something lighter when your life gets complicated, for instance.  And of course real life can spark your interest in a topic you haven't explored before and for a while you want to read everything you can lay your hands on!   I bet we've all had the experience of buying a book but setting it aside for something more appealing, only to pick it up at a later date and be delighted we've rediscovered it. 

My local book club meetings always have a few people who didn't finish the book;  sometimes it takes hearing how much the rest of us enjoyed it for them to continue on.  Other times we say, don't bother!!  You haven't missed a thing!

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

JaneM wrote:

literature wrote:

I'm reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz for my library bookclub and am trying to figure out the purpose of the book.  I'm about 2/3's into it and am forcing myself to finish it.  Has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts?  The author paints such a negative picture on the people in the Dominican Republic and for those that have relocated to the NYC area.  The only positive thing I can say about the book is when the author talks about Rutgers University in New Brunswick NJ as I work right in that area and am familiar with everything he mentions.

Sheila

I had heard good things about Oscar Wao and gave it a try.  I got it as an audiobook from the library.  I'm not convinced that it is as good as the reviews made it sound.  I got very tired of hearing about drunks, wife beaters, adultery and child abuse.  If this is an accurate picture of the Dominican Republicans, it's certainly not flattering.  If you want to stop now, you won't have missed anything because it doesn't get better or become different.  We don't have to finish every book we pick up - isn't there a law about that somewhere?:smileywink:

Thanks, Jane M and debaker.  It's just with a book club I get kinda' anal and have to finish the book, which I will do today.  Why would an author paint such a bleak picture of his country?  Although, think back to books written about wars.   I've read so many gory details but this was because of war.  I can understand the writing about the leader (dictator) of the Dominican Republic.  It's more the language used in the book that I object to.  I think I am enjoying the footnotes on the pages better than the story.

Back in February the library bookclub did "Into Thin Air", about climbing the highest mountains in the world and what the people had to prove to themselves while suffering through hyperthermia and death.  That book I gave up on.  But I did watch it on the Weather Channel and I still wondered what did these people have to prove to themselves...freezing to death!  I guess they look at me and wonder why I don't live a little.

Sheila aka Literature

I finally finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and gladly deposited it in the library book drop this morning.  Finishing the book only reconfirmed what a down and out bleak picture the author painted of the DR and in such a negative way.  Books can be about poverty, drugs, sex, politicians and abuse but there are ways of writing about it.  It was almost as if the author wrote proudly of  what goes on in his country.  Glad to be finished with that one.  NOW, WHERE IS THAT BIG, BROWN TRUCK.!

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I'm reading now:

Idiot (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

(on my Nook)

and in paper form: 

Scout, Atticus, and Boo 

Inkdeath (Inkheart Trilogy #3)  

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Re: iPad????

liisa22 wrote:

krb2g wrote:

Well, I am now pretty set on not getting a Nook--I have a Kindle (which I love) and I just got an iPad (which is amazing, good for .pdfs in ways that the Kindle sometimes is not, and can check email when I'm near a wireless network)--and I've been reading B&N ebooks on the iPad instead of the computer now--which is about 1000x more pleasant.

So, do you recommend I just go ahead and get the iPad? I have been trying to justify a nook (or K.)  but not there yet.   I will be in the need of a new laptop fairly soon, and am leaning toward the iPad, as I use my powerbook MOSTLY for surfing.  I have a great desktop for  'real' stuff'.  

In my experience so far, there are a few things the iPad can't do/does not as well/you need special stuff for that you wouldn't for a laptop:
1) If you want to transfer pictures directly from your digital camera (say you're on vacation and you need to clear a card) you have to buy a camera connection kit + it doesn't have a huge hard drive (I take a lot of pictures in RAW format, so even 16 GB can go pretty quickly)
2) If you want to do a lot of typing/word processing, a keyboard will run you $70. I got the wireless keyboard, and while sometimes it gets a little awkward positioning both, I really like it. It makes a huge difference.
3) You'll want to budget for a case and screen protector of some type.
4) You can only run one program at a time. So if you want to check wikipedia, while reading, you'd need to go back to the home screen and then to your browser and then back to the reader again. This is actually less of a pain than it sounds and than I thought--and it helps me be more directed in my work.
I'm running a mac desktop for most of my work (my writing, for example) and I have a MacBook (4 years old) for mobile computing needs and I've been using the iPad for e-reading, surfing the web, checking my email and feed reader, and netflix (AMAZING!--this is the size I like to watch movies on, if I'm not sitting across the room and using my big desktop).
I love the iPad. Caveats aside, it's been working great, and I think it really does help me be more focused in my webbrowsing (and especially email checking and feed reader checking). I've used it to play music, show pictures to family members, read, surf the web, watch movies, and much more, and really find the interface easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Re: iPad????

[ Edited ]

Throwing my 2 cents worth into the IPAD ring.

As a reading device, for me the ONE most important difference between my Kindle and Nook is that the IPAD is backlit

I started my eBook experience with the Rocket Ebook which sadly was ahead of its

time, and it was backlit, when the next generation came on the scene I was shocked that all three, (Kindle, Nook and Sony) opted not to add that feature.

You don't need a lamp or a little book light, just turn it on and you're good to go.

It has great APPS for reading Kindle or Nook format books.

Mazz

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Reader-Moderator
liisa22

Re:book lists

You guys have got my anal side going-  I feel as though I need to try to remember every book i have ever read and put it on a spreadsheet !:smileysurprised:

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Re: Re:book lists

Done and done! I read a lot of fantasy for pleasure, and one day I realized I was reading one of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books for the second time (inadvertently). That day, I decided to start a spreadsheet. Now it's a behemoth. I have a sheet for books I've read (at least since I started keeping it, with ones I remembered having read, and collating other lists I had as well), a sheet for books I want to read, a sheet for books I want to buy, a sheet for books I own, and several other sheets (one to keep track of Star Wars novels, one to keep track of library books, one to keep track of First Look books, one to keep track of forthcoming books, and one to keep a list of authors I want to keep an eye on, among others). I've also started doing a short blog about each book I read for my own pleasure--it's been a help at various times.

liisa22 wrote:

You guys have got my anal side going-  I feel as though I need to try to remember every book i have ever read and put it on a spreadsheet !:smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:
Done and done! I read a lot of fantasy for pleasure, and one day I realized I was reading one of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books for the second time (inadvertently). That day, I decided to start a spreadsheet. Now it's a behemoth. I have a sheet for books I've read (at least since I started keeping it, with ones I remembered having read, and collating other lists I had as well), a sheet for books I want to read, a sheet for books I want to buy, a sheet for books I own, and several other sheets (one to keep track of Star Wars novels, one to keep track of library books, one to keep track of First Look books, one to keep track of forthcoming books, and one to keep a list of authors I want to keep an eye on, among others). I've also started doing a short blog about each book I read for my own pleasure--it's been a help at various times.

liisa22 wrote:

Okay, you guys.  Now you've got me going.  What a brilliant idea about the spread sheet for books read, to be read, authors, etc.  If I did that I would put MMM out of business because I write down authors and books on post its and keep them in an envelope.  Eventually I add this info into my pocket calendar, which is always with me, and I do look up the books and/or the authors. 

What I've been doing is taking notes in a steno pad for all my books.  Each pad is used until it is filled up (both sides of the page) and then start another one.  I have quite a few of these filled pads of notes.  Then when I finish the book, I reread whatever notes I took and review the book that way.  Sometimes additional thoughts come to me, which I just add.  This has worked out well for my many book clubs.  If the book club is reading a book I read a year or so ago, I just review my notes and then peruse the book and then this way I do not have to reread it.  Usually works. 

Sheila

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

literature wrote:
 Okay, you guys.  Now you've got me going.  What a brilliant idea about the spread sheet for books read, to be read, authors, etc.  If I did that I would put MMM out of business because I write down authors and books on post its and keep them in an envelope.  Eventually I add this info into my pocket calendar, which is always with me, and I do look up the books and/or the authors. 

What I've been doing is taking notes in a steno pad for all my books.  Each pad is used until it is filled up (both sides of the page) and then start another one.  I have quite a few of these filled pads of notes.  Then when I finish the book, I reread whatever notes I took and review the book that way.  Sometimes additional thoughts come to me, which I just add.  This has worked out well for my many book clubs.  If the book club is reading a book I read a year or so ago, I just review my notes and then peruse the book and then this way I do not have to reread it.  Usually works. 

Sheila

Wow, what a great idea, Sheila!   It often happens that I read a book months before others in my book club.  To help save money and avoid long waiting times in the library, my club often waits until a book is out in paperback and widely available before 'assigning' it.   So I end up having to go back and at least skim to refresh my memory.   And no place to make a note of especially memorable passages.   Even a one page steno pad reminder would make a great difference.   Thanks for all these good organizing ideas, folks!

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

krb2g wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Sheila

I have had a list of books owned for a while.  When my basement flooded 10 years ago, I logged all the books I had to throw out so I could replace some of the important ones.  Then I decided that I should have a list of the books I still had left so I wouldn't duplicate the buys. 

When I finish readingi a book I highlight it as read.  The ones I have not read I try to catagorize for what to do next.  I am a real book addict.  i have many books that are still waiting to be read.

MG

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

You all need to check out shelfari.com it is a place that you can organize all your books info.  I am hooked on it...it is a great resource!!!  Let me know what you think!

fordmg wrote:

literature wrote:

krb2g wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Sheila

I have had a list of books owned for a while.  When my basement flooded 10 years ago, I logged all the books I had to throw out so I could replace some of the important ones.  Then I decided that I should have a list of the books I still had left so I wouldn't duplicate the buys. 

When I finish readingi a book I highlight it as read.  The ones I have not read I try to catagorize for what to do next.  I am a real book addict.  i have many books that are still waiting to be read.

MG

You are the author of your own life story.
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

You all need to check out shelfari.com it is a place that you can organize all your books info.  I am hooked on it...it is a great resource!!!  Let me know what you think!

That looks just what I was looking for!!  Yeah! and Thanks.  What is your name there, so I can be your friend.  Everyone needs friends!! :smileyvery-happy:

-Sir Richard Steele

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Shelfari

Hello my name is Emily and I am glad to help...it is my pleas

liisa22 wrote:

mommybooknerd wrote:

That looks just what I was looking for!!  Yeah! and Thanks.  What is your name there, so I can be your friend.  Everyone needs friends!! :smileyvery-happy:

ure to help out other book addicts!

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

fordmg wrote:

literature wrote:

krb2g wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Sheila

MG

I think I have finally found a group of friends where I realllllly belong!  Accept, I don't keep a list.  If and when I accidentally duplicate a purchase, it becomes a gift...my children are also avid readers.  What I enjoy the most is discovering a new author that I really enjoy their style and material...I will then work on collecting all their works.  You can really get to know an author that way.

Karen aka Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Frequent Contributor
Madgy
0 Kudos

I just finished "Once upon a day" .  It was a very good book.  I just started reading "Shutter Island" which is very good so far.  The movie is waiting for me when I have finished.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Madgy wrote:

I just finished "Once upon a day" .  It was a very good book.  I just started reading "Shutter Island" which is very good so far.  The movie is waiting for me when I have finished.

I just finished "Shutter Island". It was very good!  I need to talk about it!  I can't wait to see the movie, and I usually don't  want to see the movie because it doesn't live up to the book.  But in this case, I want to see how they do it.  And that is all I will say.  No spoiler from me!

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

I am currently reading:

Olive Kitteridge 

AND

Housekeeping

I'm about to start reading:

Pig Candy

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I have only given up on one book ever WICKED...loved the play...hated the book...I cannot quit a book normally...I have to finish...when I open that page or open up the nook...I make a committment!

liisa22 wrote:

debbaker wrote:

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I would, and I have tried similar things in the past (LibraryThing, Goodreads), but I can't bear the thought of all the data entry that would involve--plus they don't allow me the flexibility that my spreadsheet does. If I do anything, I will probably create a database (but I don't have Access b/c I'm on a student edition of Microsoft Access, so I have to decide if I want to get that or if I want to try something like Bento).

mommybooknerd wrote:

fordmg wrote:

literature wrote:

krb2g wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Sheila

MG