Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

I loved, and devoured, the "Left Behind" series too, Cora. It was well written and the characters pulled me in.

Coral50 wrote:

The Left Behind series was wonderful. It was a learning experience even though it was fiction; I understand terms I wasn't familiar with before reading them.  I devoured all 10 and will be reading  the other books they collabrated on soon.

Cora

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just started 

Live to Tell (Detective D. D. Warren Series #4) 

the woman is an evil genius, as usual her villain is a nasty piece of work and the bodies are piling up

New User
PaisleyV6
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Wake of Forgiveness, Dillinger's Wild Ride, and The Fortune Cookie Chronicles.

Reader 2
Anasin
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Spook by Mary Roach and I am currently reading Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, but I have put it down temporarily to read The Wake of Forgiveness which I am really enjoying.

"My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon"
Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I just finsihed these 3 mysteries on my nook. They were all part of the Free Friday blog by Paul Hochman. I liked all 3  books. But I loved Darkfever and I have alread bought the next in the series Bloodfever.

Darkfever (Fever Series #1)

Shadow Bound

A Nail through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Series #1)

Bloodfever (Fever Series #2)

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I just finished "Shadow Bound" and really enjoyed it. I love Free Fridays!  :smileyhappy:

pen21 wrote:

I just finsihed these 3 mysteries on my nook. They were all part of the Free Friday blog by Paul Hochman. I liked all 3  books. But I loved Darkfever and I have alread bought the next in the series Bloodfever.

Darkfever (Fever Series #1)

Shadow Bound

A Nail through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Series #1)

Bloodfever (Fever Series #2)

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1)  I have 2 more Chapters.. of ShadowBound  Have you dnloaded Darkfever? Free ..Addictive..and my go to UF/Paranormal Person,pen21 recommended it..I am a "Newbie"..not for long...The Tempest series,#2 is out "Tracking The Tempest" pen casually mentioned it Donna ...Set in" Maine and Boston.". I was excited just about that!!!.Waiting for #3 Jan2011...Wonderful.,the humor alone and her Brilliant writing style....6Stars. To Nicole Peeler...             #2.Bloodfever that pen mentioned has 4 to the series And One Book to tie evrything together..I believe...Glad to see more people reading UF/Paranormal..Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Peppermill
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Is there a high school literature teacher here who would be interested in using the Classics Board in conjunction with her/his classroom in September or beyond?

If so, please send me a PM.

Pepper

PM sent  :-)

Lisa -- please check your PM box.  Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I loved, and devoured, the "Left Behind" series too, Cora. It was well written and the characters pulled me in.

Coral50 wrote:

The Left Behind series was wonderful. It was a learning experience even though it was fiction; I understand terms I wasn't familiar with before reading them.  I devoured all 10 and will be reading  the other books they collabrated on soon.

Cora

Have you read

Rapture Ready! by Daniel Radosh; Rapture Ready! (paperback)?

It was featured on the religion board a few months ago.  I resisted reading it, but found it fascinating when I did.  I disagreed with a number of the observations; the author did not seem skilled in many of the biblical and religious faith distinctions writers like Marcus Borg (e.g., Embracing an Adult FaithLiving The Heart of ChristianityReading the Bible Again For the First Time) or Walter Brueggemann (e.g., Awed to Heaven, Rooted in EarthThe Bible Makes SenseBiblical Perspectives on Evangelism) can make, but Radosh himself comes from a different faith tradition (Jewish).  But it was fascinating to see what he saw. 

There is also a related web site.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

I just started reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I don't know how I missed this book when it came out. I am finding it fascinating and easy to read so far. It is long but seems worth putting the time into it.

If any of you have read it, let me know what you thought of it and what I should pay special attention to. Thanks.

Betty

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

bettymac wrote:

I just started reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I don't know how I missed this book when it came out. I am finding it fascinating and easy to read so far. It is long but seems worth putting the time into it.

If any of you have read it, let me know what you thought of it and what I should pay special attention to. Thanks.

Betty

I read Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.  They are both excellent books.

MG

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Wonder how many people in the FL club has read past a few chapters thus far?

I am 1/2 way thru the book already; had to slow myself to re-read a few passages & chapters because I was so getting lost by the language

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
EmmasGrandma
0 Kudos

Get ready for some late nights reading The Passage. It is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand. I've looked at Resurrection in May.  What did you think of it?

Contributor
sorele
0 Kudos

Just finished "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts.  It's a very long book, but I really enjoyed reading it.  

pen21
0 Kudos

EmmasGrandma wrote:

Get ready for some late nights reading The Passage. It is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand. I've looked at Resurrection in May.  What did you think of it?

I really enjoyed The Passage. Be sure to come back and let us know what you think of the book. Luanne

The Passage  

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It's a good book. I would recommend keeping track of the people at first. That was tedious for me until the story really got going.  =)

bettymac wrote:

Betty

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed "Resurrection in May," although parts were hard to read. I found the reading to be fast paced because I wanted to know what happened.  =)

EmmasGrandma wrote:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished

Live to Tell (Detective D. D. Warren Series #4) 

what a great thriller it was but very scary

And I LOVED

The Passage 

I can't wait for the next in the series

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I really liked this book, can't wait until the next one comes out

nancybout wrote:

The Passage  I'm reading this....over half way done.I say 3 days i'm fininished.

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I just finished Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah,  This is the 3rd book I've read by her and they just keep getting better.  Very emotional book.

Firefly Lane Firefly Lane