Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

BethAnnH wrote:

I am  currently reading this book and have to agree with your description "the main character can be extremely irritating in her neediness"  I keep hoping the book will get a little better, but so far it's not doing much for me.   However I usually don't like to put a book down, once I've started it I like to finish it.  

babzilla41 wrote:

Home Safe  

Just finished Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg - one of the ebooks that was offered free some time ago.  A lot of reviews for this book aren't very good and I have to agree with some of those who reviewed the book that the main character can be extremely irritating in her neediness.  But there's something here that struck me - I'm not sure if it's the stories within the story (the main character teaches a writing workshop and provides the reader with a look at her students writings) or if it's simply that Berg is able to create characters who are relatable and realistic, despite their flaws.

I have liked every book I ever read by Berg.  There is something real in what she writes and not all characters, like the people among us, are perfect.

You are the author of your own life story.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I'm just starting

Saving Max 

Reviewing it for Harlequin, now don't poo poo this because it's published by Harlequin, their Mira division is really getting into more mainstream and literary fiction and really great romantic suspense with a slant toward suspense. So far Saving Max is excellent.

It'll be out in October

Hi Deb..Although I have never read a Harlequin Romance ,I did discover Carla Neggers through a Mira Book.."Welcome to Tyler"A Wisconsin Wedding"  years ago..She is one of my favorite Authors...and yours as well.....'Saving Max" does sound very good Deb..Will wait for your review,,Best Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

ok,i'm reading wake of forgiveness

aren't we supposed to do a discussion of that book??Isn't that why we gotit for free??lol

I'm curious..

The Wake of Forgiveness 

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

The Scent of Rain and Lightning  

Addicted to the Nook:smileyhappy: I am reading this and Reading Wake of forgiveness.

(book)..I'm almost done with Scent and going Straight to the wake of forgiveness..wow BOTH are GREAT..and SAD..=(

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

how was House Rules???Looks good!!!!

SO many books and SO little time..and MONEY lmao!

I went through 100 this morning On books,plus I got an Oberon cover =X I better not break my Nook LOL till i at least READ allthese books Lmao!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I read House Rules and really enjoyed it.

I posted this review which might contain spoilers:

When I first began reading the book, I thought that it would be primarily about Autism but I soon realized that it was also a mystery and romance novel.  Autism was the central theme used to create the plot and move the tale along its path. This novel illustrates how being different can cause tremendous hardship and can disrupt ordinary family life; it is a tale of how dysfunction affects each member of the family in a different way; it is a tale about how hard it is to attempt to function in a normal world when everything about you and your world is not the norm.
The story is told in the voices of the five main characters.
1-Jacob is the main character. The author gets inside his head and really shows what it is like to have Asperger's, to be locked out of the normal world and to live in a space where all outside stimuli are larger than life. She has captured what it feels like to be an outsider, always looking in, trying to belong but never being accepted because the necessary skills are absent.
Jacob’s inability to function normally in the world has had devastating effects on the life of his entire family. He cannot read the clues people send out and he often misinterprets behavior and makes inappropriate responses. The family is preoccupied with preventing an outburst from too much sensory stimulation.
He is an exceptionally bright senior in high school. His hobby is forensics and he uses a police scanner to learn about crime scenes, offering advice to the trained detectives.
2-Emma, Jacob’s mom, is very devoted to him, often leaving her other son to fend for himself. She works from home writing an advice column, which is ironic since she has a hard time dealing with her own problems, let alone those of strangers. Money is always tight because Jacob needs an enormous amount of intervention in order to be mainstreamed so he can function somewhat, in the real world.
Her marriage has ended in divorce because Henry cannot cope with Jacob and his effect on their daily and married life. Emma is often preoccupied with Jacob and neglects, of necessity, everyone else. Although Henry supports them financially, he is emotionally and physically absent from the family.
3-Theo is Jacob's brother. Because of Jacob's bizarre abnormal reactions to normal situations, Theo's needs are often ignored. Although Theo is not autistic, he also exhibits some anti-social behavior as a result of his loneliness and feelings of neglect. He wants a normal home life.
While Jacob has no friends because his mental problems keep people away from him, Theo has no friends because when his brother appears on the scene, they shun him too. The stain of his brother’s Asperger’s colors him as well.
4- Jess is Jacob's social skills tutor who is writing a paper on Autism. She has helped him when it comes to interacting in the world in ordinary social situations. He really relates well to her and likes being with her because she makes him feel comfortable. When she is found murdered, Jacob is accused and arrested. His arrest sets the story in motion.
5-Oliver is the lawyer who represents Jacob in the murder trial. He relates well to Jacob and is helpful to Emma. The relationship that develops between them makes the story a bit contrived. It seems convenient and not very plausible. He is 28 and she is the mother of an 18 year old.
Once you become drawn into the story, however, the harder it becomes to put the book down. It is upsetting because of the injustice of the way society treats people who march to a different drummer, but it is also very exciting and keeps you guessing as to the ultimate outcome.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I would like to wish those of you celebrating the start of the Jewish New Year, a healthy and a happy one. Actually, I would like to make that wish for everyone, regardless of their background.

The holiday begins at sundown, on Wednesday, September 8th, with the start of Rosh Hashanah. It ends on the 18th, at sundown, at the end of Yom Kippur, The Day of Atonement.

I am leaving town to be with family for much of the holiday but I will continue to try and post whenever possible.

twj

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

My husband and I both read, "The Scent of Rain and Lightning" and loved it. We also read it on our Nook.  :smileyhappy:

nancybout wrote:

The Scent of Rain and Lightning  

Addicted to the Nook:smileyhappy: I am reading this and Reading Wake of forgiveness.

(book)..I'm almost done with Scent and going Straight to the wake of forgiveness..wow BOTH are GREAT..and SAD..=(

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Have a wonderful holiday with your family!  :smileywink:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I would like to wish those of you celebrating the start of the Jewish New Year, a healthy and a happy one. Actually, I would like to make that wish for everyone, regardless of their background.

The holiday begins at sundown, on Wednesday, September 8th, with the start of Rosh Hashanah. It ends on the 18th, at sundown, at the end of Yom Kippur, The Day of Atonement.

I am leaving town to be with family for much of the holiday but I will continue to try and post whenever possible.

twj

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

twj

Thank you twj, I make the same wish for you and your loved ones. And I have to say that's it's been my pleasure to chat with you about all the different novels we've talked about, and am looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Well thank you and right back at ya! I enjoy chatting with you too.

dhaupt wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

twj

Thank you twj, I make the same wish for you and your loved ones. And I have to say that's it's been my pleasure to chat with you about all the different novels we've talked about, and am looking forward to your thoughts on this one.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I'm just starting

Saving Max 

Reviewing it for Harlequin, now don't poo poo this because it's published by Harlequin, their Mira division is really getting into more mainstream and literary fiction and really great romantic suspense with a slant toward suspense. So far Saving Max is excellent.

It'll be out in October

Hi Deb..Although I have never read a Harlequin Romance ,I did discover Carla Neggers through a Mira Book.."Welcome to Tyler"A Wisconsin Wedding"  years ago..She is one of my favorite Authors...and yours as well.....'Saving Max" does sound very good Deb..Will wait for your review,,Best Susan..

Susan your wish is my command, it was an exceptional read and everyone should read it.

you can read my review here at B&N http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1446324

or on my blog

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I'm just starting

Saving Max 

It'll be out in October

Susan your wish is my command, it was an exceptional read and everyone should read it.

you can read my review here at B&N http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1446324

or on my blog

Hi Deb..Theres been some interest in "Saving Max"..Passing along your review to some BNers who are Curious by nature  Thanks Deb... Susan

Contributor
AnneEK
0 Kudos

Re: BookMarks-

I got  my first library card in Third Grade.  I just couldn't believe that a place existed where I could borrow books for FREE.  It still seems amazing to me.  :smileyhappy:

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

Anne
dhaupt
0 Kudos

AnneEK wrote:

I got  my first library card in Third Grade.  I just couldn't believe that a place existed where I could borrow books for FREE.  It still seems amazing to me.  :smileyhappy:

or use the computer, rent movies, audiobooks, ebooks, newspapers and more!!!!

I know how you feel Anne, I feel the same way.

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

OK as I was grabbing a bookmark for my current read, I realized that I have some really cool and interesting bookmarks! I must collect them- LOL.   I ought to post pics of them on my blog.  Does anyone else 'collect' bookmarks?  Many of mine have been gifts, but some i have bought!

I collect bookmarks also.  Some of mine have been gifts but most I have bought.  Whenever I travel to a different state or country I buy a new bookmark

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I read The Passage, last month, and I really enjoyed/loved it.  Now I am having the problem with other books I have picked up since reading The Passage, somehow just not being as good as I wish they were, but I know these books I'm reading are Great books, maybe it's a little bit of readers burn out at the moment. :smileyhappy:   

DSaff wrote:

I am currently finishing up Resurrection in May, and am reading Mudbound. Another book I am getting ready to start is The Passage.

Resurrection in May

Mudbound

The Passage

New User
RebeccaK26
0 Kudos

I'm still trying to finish The Wake of Forgiveness because I put out down after the first 50 grim pages.  I think it will get better!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

RebeccaK26 wrote:

I'm still trying to finish The Wake of Forgiveness because I put out down after the first 50 grim pages.  I think it will get better!

Welcome RebeccaK26..To BN FirstLook..The first 50 pages are grim and cruel,but it does give you the background..It goes into more depth concerning the characters,and how so much hardship has shaped them..So much  more Rebecca..Other readers including myself to a lesser degree,because I always think there is a light at the end of the tunnel,so to speak.. : ) Let us know how its going..When I read such an intense book,I have a lighter book around to balance me.Stay in touch with us..Susan....I haven't started the second half yet....

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

RebeccaK26 wrote:

I hear ya!    I am not as enamored with the book as others seem to be.  I will finish it, but I am still having trouble picking it back up.  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/