Reader 4
Jrsygirl
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Just finished reading The Wake Of Forgiveness.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Jrsygirl wrote:

Just finished reading The Wake Of Forgiveness.

Please come and share in the discussions!  Our moderator has posted some penetrating questions for us to comment upon and some interesting side conversations are percolating.  But be careful of "spoilers,"  since you have finished the book and others of us are still reading to schedule.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: great discussion!

I really can't put a finger on it.  Perhaps it is not what I need to read right now. Thanks for the offer.

thewanderingjew wrote:

Is there a particular part of the book that is troubling you? Maybe if you ask us a question, some of us could help you through it.

liisa22 wrote:

I have enjoyed reading some of the discussions, but, I still am having a difficult time picking it back up.  :smileysad:

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Betty...Sorry this is so late. Yes, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is long and well worth it. I read it a while ago and now I'm ready to read his next book 'World Without End'. The inside cover flap says it picks up two centuries after Pillars's ends.

I can't wait to find the time.

Cora

bettymac wrote:

I just started reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I don't know how I missed this book when it came out. I am finding it fascinating and easy to read so far. It is long but seems worth putting the time into it.

If any of you have read it, let me know what you thought of it and what I should pay special attention to. Thanks.

Betty

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi

I have the same problem but now I moving along and glad I stuck with it. I'm late here but I feel worthy to discuss it now.

Cora

Atreyu59 wrote:

Wonder how many people in the FL club has read past a few chapters thus far?

I am 1/2 way thru the book already; had to slow myself to re-read a few passages & chapters because I was so getting lost by the language

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have finished The Wake of Forgetfulness. I think the book is alive. I loved it. Glad you stuck with it.

BTW, I have two copies of Pillars of the Earth. One has such small print, I couldn't read it if I wanted to without a magnifying glass placed over the page! The other one is easy to read but it is such a fat book it feels like a daunting task and whenever I go to pick it up I think, but there are so many books out there I want to read how can I make the time to read this one? I know that I will, at  some point. I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews from everyone who has read it.

Coral50 wrote:

Hi

I have the same problem but now I moving along and glad I stuck with it. I'm late here but I feel worthy to discuss it now.

Cora

Atreyu59 wrote:

Wonder how many people in the FL club has read past a few chapters thus far?

I am 1/2 way thru the book already; had to slow myself to re-read a few passages & chapters because I was so getting lost by the language

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

"" Spoiler Maybe""  I finished TWOF on Friday..I loved the pace and it put the whole book for me,in perspective..I saw another side of Karel,and was finally introduced to his brothers,as Karel saw them,felt about them,his need for them.the night his father died..and Hildi... It made me cry and also laugh..It couldn't have been any better for me. Bruce brought some closure..I still am hopeful that we will have another look at "The Skala's'' ..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I agree I would love to see a sequel but I would also like to see the Villasenors explored more fully.

It was a marvelous selection by Barnes and Noble, once again. This one, I think, was the best so far. They just keep outdoing themselves.

Vermontcozy wrote:

"" Spoiler Maybe""  I finished TWOF on Friday..I loved the pace and it put the whole book for me,in perspective..I saw another side of Karel,and was finally introduced to his brothers,as Karel saw them,felt about them,his need for them.the night his father died..and Hildi... It made me cry and also laugh..It couldn't have been any better for me. Bruce brought some closure..I still am hopeful that we will have another look at "The Skala's'' ..Susan

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

Lisa I feel the same way, I am not sure what it is about me and this book,  I am about half way through the book, and can't seem to get it finished,  But I have also been following the discussions and enjoying them.
Beth

liisa22 wrote:

I really can't put a finger on it.  Perhaps it is not what I need to read right now. Thanks for the offer.

thewanderingjew wrote:

Is there a particular part of the book that is troubling you? Maybe if you ask us a question, some of us could help you through it.

liisa22 wrote:

I have enjoyed reading some of the discussions, but, I still am having a difficult time picking it back up.  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
gackie
0 Kudos

I had a hard time reading The Wake of Forgiveness at first but it totally sucked me in around the middle of the book. In my opinion it does get better.

On another note I have finally jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon and am currently reading it.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

gackie wrote:

I had a hard time reading The Wake of Forgiveness at first but it totally sucked me in around the middle of the book. In my opinion it does get better.

On another note I have finally jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon and am currently reading it.

I agree  gackie,Bruce slowly built up our anticipation and then when I wasn't quite sure,where he was going,and I did want more,The last Section.was incredible..It became almost like new book,not entirely,but meeting everyone years later again, it was very moving..I did cry a bit and ,getting into Karels head was where I wanted to go.,as  he grew,I grew with TWOF...The Trailer gave me a Visual,so it was like Frame,by Frame,because of the pace..Susan  A great Thread on "Mockingjay "is here on BN..So there must be a "Hunger Games one as well..

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

gackie wrote:

I agree  gackie,Bruce slowly built up our anticipation and then when I wasn't quite sure,where he was going,and I did want more,The last Section.was incredible..It became almost like new book,not entirely,but meeting everyone years later again, it was very moving..I did cry a bit and ,getting into Karels head was where I wanted to go.,as  he grew,I grew with TWOF...The Trailer gave me a Visual,so it was like Frame,by Frame,because of the pace..Susan  A great Thread on "Mockingjay "is here on BN..So there must be a "Hunger Games one as well..

The Scifi/Fantasy Board had a discussion for Hunger Games and Catching Fire. The link is below. I really like this series. There is also a Mockingjay discussion this month on the Scifi/Fantasy Board.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/OCTOBER-FEATURE-3-The-Hunger-Games-an...

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

When I read Pillars, I stopped a few times and went back after reading other books. The story is unforgetable and after reading a chapter or two I was right back at it.

I finished Pillars over a year ago and it is still with me, now looking forward to his other book,World Without End.

Cora

thewanderingjew wrote:

I have finished The Wake of Forgetfulness. I think the book is alive. I loved it. Glad you stuck with it.

BTW, I have two copies of Pillars of the Earth. One has such small print, I couldn't read it if I wanted to without a magnifying glass placed over the page! The other one is easy to read but it is such a fat book it feels like a daunting task and whenever I go to pick it up I think, but there are so many books out there I want to read how can I make the time to read this one? I know that I will, at  some point. I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews from everyone who has read it.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

RebeccaK26 wrote:

I'm still trying to finish The Wake of Forgiveness because I put out down after the first 50 grim pages.  I think it will get better!

I hear ya!    I am not as enamored with the book as others seem to be.  I will finish it, but I am still having trouble picking it back up.  

Lisa -- glad to see you with a few minutes back here!  (If anyone doesn't know yet, Lisa has taken on moderating the Classics board!)

It took me awhile to overcome my aversion to reading a story with so many allusions to bodily excretions, human and animal, without a clarity of their significance to the plot or the setting.   Still have no clear sense, but have largely suceeded in setting aside personal prudishness and have immersed myself in this first week's reading, the questions, and the discussion here.

Pepper

I know I'm a little late getting in to this discussion.  I started the book, in fact, I'm almost finished with it but have put off any discussion because I'm not "getting it".

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I agee with you, Donna.  This is the first First Look book that I have found difficult to get through, due to the violence and unpleasant subject matter.  However, reading the comments has encouraged me to stick with the book.  If it weren't for all of you participating in the lively discussions here, I would have probably put this book down 2 weeks ago.

Carolyn

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

gackie wrote:

The Scifi/Fantasy Board had a discussion for Hunger Games and Catching Fire. The link is below. I really like this series. There is also a Mockingjay discussion this month on the Scifi/Fantasy Board.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/OCTOBER-FEATURE-3-The-Hunger-Games-an...

Thanks pen The More i read about The Hunger Games,and especially Mockingjay..I have given more thought to actually reading it..and not skimming through the posts and reviews..Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

bookowlie wrote:

I agee with you, Donna.  This is the first First Look book that I have found difficult to get through, due to the violence and unpleasant subject matter.  However, reading the comments has encouraged me to stick with the book.  If it weren't for all of you participating in the lively discussions here, I would have probably put this book down 2 weeks ago.

Carolyn

So Glad bookowlie that you continued with TWOF..Sometimes thats all it takes is a discussion,reading feedback.etc.I'm not sure if you finished,but post if you want to about how you felt about TWOF..after you decided to continue.;Best Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

It is odd, but I didn't find this book as violent as some of the teen reads, in the horror genre, that have recently come out. Perhaps it is the idea that it is not fantasy or supernatural that is so off putting to some of the readers.

Maybe it is the fact that this story is in the realm of the real world that makes it harder to read for some of us. For me, the "Freddie" movies, Friday the 13th and The Hunger Games, to name a few, are far more violent and bloodcurdling than TWOF. Those tales are everyone's worst nightmares yet, because that is what they are, nightmares, I suppose that they are easier to read and then laugh about later on.

I enjoyed the book or its message.

Vermontcozy wrote:

bookowlie wrote:

Carolyn

So Glad bookowlie that you continued with TWOF..Sometimes thats all it takes is a discussion,reading feedback.etc.I'm not sure if you finished,but post if you want to about how you felt about TWOF..after you decided to continue.;Best Susan

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

It made me feel,amazed that such extreme violence does happen,IN REAL LIFE! However,thats the only reason I felt so stunned by it.

I am reading it now,and getting it finished.I m putting it as the book of the year,that i read thats REAL WORLD..not fake.
THanks for such a perspective,that I really needed to open my eyes..

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I definitely agree that it is the fact that this book wasn't fantasy or horror that made it so difficult to read. Taking a "trip" in a fantasy book gives me a break from reality for a little while, but...

thewanderingjew wrote:

It is odd, but I didn't find this book as violent as some of the teen reads, in the horror genre, that have recently come out. Perhaps it is the idea that it is not fantasy or supernatural that is so off putting to some of the readers.

Maybe it is the fact that this story is in the realm of the real world that makes it harder to read for some of us. For me, the "Freddie" movies, Friday the 13th and The Hunger Games, to name a few, are far more violent and bloodcurdling than TWOF. Those tales are everyone's worst nightmares yet, because that is what they are, nightmares, I suppose that they are easier to read and then laugh about later on.

I enjoyed the book or its message.

Vermontcozy wrote:

bookowlie wrote:

Carolyn

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com