Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: BookMarks-

What a wonderful legacy!  :smileywink:

Coral50 wrote:

When my son-in-law passed away he left behind a library of books with wonderful notes. We now share them with his grandchildren and hope this is passed on through the generations.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Yes, I collect bookmarks too. How funny. Mine range from hand-made to ribbons to photos, but all are special. The neat thing is that I use them all at different times.

When I taught, one of the book reports my students had to do was create a bookmark. It had to have the review on one side, but could be decorated however they wanted on the other. When they were done, I laminated it. As I have talked to former students, I have found, to my great delight, that many still have their bookmarks and use them. I really love that!

liisa22 wrote:

OK as I was grabbing a bookmark for my current read, I realized that I have some really cool and interesting bookmarks! I must collect them- LOL.   I ought to post pics of them on my blog.  Does anyone else 'collect' bookmarks?  Many of mine have been gifts, but some i have bought!

I keep the ticket stubs to concerts and sporting events that I have enjoyed and use them as bookmarks.

Bonnie

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I belong to a neighborhood book club and last Christmas the monthly host of the club made all of us beautiful beaded bookmarks.

I really like having a special bookmark in my books but sometimes I just use the library checkout slip.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Bonnie_C wrote:

I keep the ticket stubs to concerts and sporting events that I have enjoyed and use them as bookmarks.

Bonnie

That's a good idea too!  I have ribbons,  paper, magnetic,  handmade (in several forms), pictures, post-its, postcards.... no ticket stubs, that I remember using anyway.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

I belong to a neighborhood book club and last Christmas the monthly host of the club made all of us beautiful beaded bookmarks.

I really like having a special bookmark in my books but sometimes I just use the library checkout slip.

I have used the checkout slip too. Mostly because that is the reminder to get returned on time, since they no longer stamp the due date.  I miss that.  

Which reminds me- 

Does anyone remember getting their FIRST library card?  Care to share?

-Sir Richard Steele

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

I have used the checkout slip too. Mostly because that is the reminder to get returned on time, since they no longer stamp the due date.  I miss that.  

Which reminds me- 

My first library card was paper with a metal tag inserted in it with my number stamped into it. I have fond memories of my mother taking me to the library to check out books.           Remember card catalogs.  I'm so glad those are a thing of the past!!!

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi everyone - I hope everyone is having a nice evening!

I have yet to be confirmed for this book but right now I am reading "A Soft place to land" by Susan Rebecca White and I am truly looking forward to reading "The Wake of Forgiveness"!

I really like to read trilogies by Nora Roberts and Linda Lael Miller but I read other books as well!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hi Cora,

what a sweet, thoughtful way to bring history, love of books, family relations, and remembrances together.

I write notes on pieces of paper and glue those into the backs of books. As for bookmarks, I have a friend who collects them and it is always an easy gift to bring back from a trip, since it takes so little space and sometimes bookstores hand them out with a book I buy.

For myself I make my own bookmarks with photographs, glued to cardboard, cut to the proper shape, a whole punched into them and a braided or beaded string attached.

Coral50 wrote:

Wheeze...I don't fold to many corners but if the book is a keeper I write notes in the margins. I use and enjoy my books.

Cora

When my son-in-law passed away he left behind a library of books with wonderful notes. We now share them with his grandchildren and hope this is passed on through the generations.

wheeze wrote:

That is a really cute idea! Nice and creative! I may use that for my projects I have coming up

Sadly, I am one of the worst bookmark users ever. I usually fold down the corners, which everyone yells at me for and thinks I am hurting the books. If it's a new, fresh book, or a nice conidition from my library I usually grab whatever is closest to me. A Post it... my electric bill, whatever works!

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Sunitcloud

Been a while since we have spoke, really missed FL. I did get the ebook, but it wasn't enjoyable on the computer, I'm a paper turner so far.

Cora

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I also remember the library card with the metal chip and card catalogs. memories.....

jabrkeKB wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Which reminds me- 

My first library card was paper with a metal tag inserted in it with my number stamped into it. I have fond memories of my mother taking me to the library to check out books.           Remember card catalogs.  I'm so glad those are a thing of the past!!!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I use both. For my upcoming cruise I will take my nook, but sometimes, when I am in the store and don't see the ebook on my screen, I just buy the dead tree book. I'm impatient.

Glad you are getting organized after your move. I do imagine a brand new - empty - place occasionally, but I know that I would just fill it with books and photographs and yarn and dolls immediately, so I try to accept my fate. The other day I bought a new shed and for a few hours, while I was putting together a shelving unit, I sat in the empty shed and thought about moving into it. All that blank space. Wonderful.

Coral50 wrote:

Hi Sunitcloud

Been a while since we have spoke, really missed FL. I did get the ebook, but it wasn't enjoyable on the computer, I'm a paper turner so far.

Cora

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Which reminds me- 

I remember my first library card as being just a small card and then later on was replaced with a card with a metal tag.  I was so proud of my library card and still am.  I keep it in a case so it doesn't get damaged.  The library I used as a child is still there and has been designated as a "landmark".  It sits on an overpass that goes over a major highway.  Yes, it is old but so am I!  In fact, my daughter is celebrating her 41st birthday today.

Contributor
SherylNC
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Just finished Steve Martini's Rule of Nine!

Contributor
SherylNC
0 Kudos

I remember those old library cards with the metal tag! But I've also had the paper ones.. and then finally the thin plastic one.. leading up to my firm plastic one. :-) I adore my library card!

Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

Current Read

I have just started reading 1610: A Sundial in a Grave by Mary Gentle.  It's very Three Musketeer-ish with swashbuckling duels and royal intrigue. 

I don't remember my actual first library card, but I remember hanging out at the Armed Forces library at the base where my father was stationed in Germany.  The librarian used to let me stamp the cards sometimes; the first book I ever checked out was Where the Wild Things Are.  I loved the library and still do.  My husband and I are active participants in our local library's expansion project so others can enjoy the gift of reading!

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

LOL...I sat in my new place for a couple of weeks with the bare necessity of furniture. It was an interesting feeling of empty space but became boring (the simplest way to describe it). My new place is larger by 200sq ft and I'm having fun creating a quiet room, a computer and sewing room, and a livingroom space for visiting friends. Of course, now my needlework books and yarns are invading my livingroom; a nice touch...:smileywink: 

Cora

Sunltcloud wrote:

Glad you are getting organized after your move. I do imagine a brand new - empty - placeoccasionally, but I know that I would just fill it with books and photographs and yarn and dolls immediately, so I try to accept my fate. The other day I bought a new shed and for a few hours, while I was putting together a shelving unit, I sat in the empty shed and thought about moving into it. All that blank space. Wonderful.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

SherylNC wrote:

I remember those old library cards with the metal tag! But I've also had the paper ones.. and then finally the thin plastic one.. leading up to my firm plastic one. :-) I adore my library card!

I had one with metal, I think it was after my very first one though. It was sky blue and a bit shorter and fatter than a credit card.  I used to have it ( and may still) as well as a bookmark from that library ( which is 900 miles away).  

-Sir Richard Steele

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

First ever library card, or check out I remember was when they stamped the back of the books. I always thought those stampers were amazing! How they flip, stamp the date, and make the loud noise. I think that is when I first fell in love with the library.

Now, just the firm plastic card, it will be interesting to see what they use next, in the future!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Contributor
CindyWhoLu
0 Kudos

Which reminds me- 

I remember my first library card.  I'm originally from a small town and I lived at in about the middle of the block that the library was on.  It was on the corner and I would go to the library just about every day during the summer (and often during the winter too) and get several books and make my mom read them to me so I could go back for more.  It was not unusual for me to make several trips a day to the library.  I guess I was about 4 or 5 then.  Wouldn't dream of letting your kids do that now, but my brothers and sister (and all of there friends) were always around and normally someone would be with me.  Plus all of the old(er) people that lived between us and the library would be on the porch and watch me walk down.  That is really what started my love of reading. 

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I remember the paper ones with the metal strips, and the stamps on the back of books. Now I have mine attached to my keyring. I love that because I always have it with me, even when i go to the gym. Who knows maybe working out will send me to the library next for a new read!

I remember the first book I checked out from the library was Where the Wild Things Are. I read The Bobsey Twins, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, and the Hardy Boys. After that I moved to Black Beauty followed by all of the Agatha Christie mysteries, Ellery Queen, and the Hobbit series. What fun!

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt