Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

dhaupt wrote:

Hey guys I just got a nook, registered it and voila all my previous ebooks from my B&N library magically appeared, I am now officially in the 21st century. ;-)

Congrats! I just got my Nook a few weeks ago and I love it! I was a sworn no ebook reader until the last First Look book. When I discovered it wasn't so bad, I just had to have one.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Re: BookMarks-

I also remember my first library card plus the card catalog. Sometimes I date myself because when I am talking about the libraries, and how things used to be done the young people just look at me as if I am from another country.:smileyhappy: What I also remembers is that you had to be quite in the library, and now you can talk on your cell phone etc. I should say that people do talk on them even when there are signs all over the place to shut your phone off.  Do you think that the libraries will be around in the near future? Especially since books as we know them to be.

Contributor
erinsam
0 Kudos

Received Confirmation

Just got my confirmation.  Can't wait to get reading.  The book looks really good.

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Re: Received Confirmation

Still haven't received my confirmation. :smileysad:

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Re: Received Confirmation

:smileysad:     You are not alone.
Anna_Louise wrote:

Still haven't received my confirmation. :smileysad:

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

Are you a true "Jersey" angel?  I live in central NJ and always wanted to meet someone from the B&N club.

I did the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society with Annie Barrows on B&N about a year or so ago.  Annie Barrows writes children books and I had emailed her about her children's books, prefacing the B&N club, and she, too, remembered me.  There is definitely a special relationship that forms not only with the author, but also with the participants as well as the B&N staff.  I hope B&N never stops these book clubs.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Yes, I am! Well not sure about the angel part lol Born & raised in NJ. South NJ actually.

Stephanie

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Well, I am now pretty set on not getting a Nook--I have a Kindle (which I love) and I just got an iPad (which is amazing, good for .pdfs in ways that the Kindle sometimes is not, and can check email when I'm near a wireless network)--and I've been reading B&N ebooks on the iPad instead of the computer now--which is about 1000x more pleasant.

I'm currently reading

Antiphon  for the scifi/fantasy sneak peak here and then 

Lord Jim  on the beach (since I'm breaking up Antiphon by section, at least for the first two, to conform to the reading schedule).

Mystery and Manners  is next in my beach bag (I love Flannery O'Connor's short stories, and this caught my eye one day while shopping at B&N).

The Princess And Curdie is what I'm reading for the moment on my e-reader.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz for my library bookclub and am trying to figure out the purpose of the book.  I'm about 2/3's into it and am forcing myself to finish it.  Has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts?  The author paints such a negative picture on the people in the Dominican Republic and for those that have relocated to the NYC area.  The only positive thing I can say about the book is when the author talks about Rutgers University in New Brunswick NJ as I work right in that area and am familiar with everything he mentions.

Sheila

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Wow, I remember that card, I had one also....so how bad are we dating ourselves with that memory? haha

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

literature wrote:

I'm reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz for my library bookclub and am trying to figure out the purpose of the book.  I'm about 2/3's into it and am forcing myself to finish it.  Has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts?  The author paints such a negative picture on the people in the Dominican Republic and for those that have relocated to the NYC area.  The only positive thing I can say about the book is when the author talks about Rutgers University in New Brunswick NJ as I work right in that area and am familiar with everything he mentions.

Sheila

I had heard good things about Oscar Wao and gave it a try.  I got it as an audiobook from the library.  I'm not convinced that it is as good as the reviews made it sound.  I got very tired of hearing about drunks, wife beaters, adultery and child abuse.  If this is an accurate picture of the Dominican Republicans, it's certainly not flattering.  If you want to stop now, you won't have missed anything because it doesn't get better or become different.  We don't have to finish every book we pick up - isn't there a law about that somewhere?:smileywink:

Jane M.
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Jane M is right-if we don't like it we don't have to finish it--no law. But, I am one of those people who has a hard time not finishing a book even when I don't like it. It is a me thing. I am working on changing that.

My confirmed message came through today! I am very excited.:smileyvery-happy:

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn

gmfuhlman wrote:

Do you think that the libraries will be around in the near future? Especially since books as we know them to be.

I don't see libraries going away. Libraries will just change to fit the new types of collections. My sister is the head of reference at a small public library in another state, and in charge of nonfiction, DVDs, ebooks (no, I don't get special treatment for my Nook), and she runs activities like a Seniors Wii night, teaches classes and a runs a book club. My local library has a big video game and DVD collection and they tend to be quite forward looking with their collection. My state has merged all of the libraries for the Overdrive collections and have over 1,200 epubs, plus PDF and mobi books and lots of audiobooks. True, my tastes are very different from most patrons, but I've been checking out lots of material I'm only partly interested in to show my support for their electronic collection. If I don't show demand, they won't know to keep working on it.

The library isn't just shelves of books. Someone has to purchase and maintain the collection in physical or electronic format, help people use and find material, teach them how to use it. You may not always have a building to go to but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Scribe
DSaff

Bruce Machart website

Hi everyone. If you haven't seen this, here is Bruce Machart's official website. There is some great information there, and it will only grow as time goes on. You can also become a fan on Facebook and Twitter through the link.

http://brucemachart.com/

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Re: Bruce Machart website

Thanks DSaff. It is a nice site.

DSaff wrote:

Hi everyone. If you haven't seen this, here is Bruce Machart's official website. There is some great information there, and it will only grow as time goes on. You can also become a fan on Facebook and Twitter through the link.

http://brucemachart.com/

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

william hazlitt
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

literature wrote:

Sheila

I had heard good things about Oscar Wao and gave it a try.  I got it as an audiobook from the library.  I'm not convinced that it is as good as the reviews made it sound.  I got very tired of hearing about drunks, wife beaters, adultery and child abuse.  If this is an accurate picture of the Dominican Republicans, it's certainly not flattering.  If you want to stop now, you won't have missed anything because it doesn't get better or become different.  We don't have to finish every book we pick up - isn't there a law about that somewhere?:smileywink:

Thanks, Jane M and debaker.  It's just with a book club I get kinda' anal and have to finish the book, which I will do today.  Why would an author paint such a bleak picture of his country?  Although, think back to books written about wars.   I've read so many gory details but this was because of war.  I can understand the writing about the leader (dictator) of the Dominican Republic.  It's more the language used in the book that I object to.  I think I am enjoying the footnotes on the pages better than the story.

Back in February the library bookclub did "Into Thin Air", about climbing the highest mountains in the world and what the people had to prove to themselves while suffering through hyperthermia and death.  That book I gave up on.  But I did watch it on the Weather Channel and I still wondered what did these people have to prove to themselves...freezing to death!  I guess they look at me and wonder why I don't live a little.

Sheila aka Literature

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Just finsihed THE DEATH AND LIFE OF CHARLIE ST CLOUD on my nook and now onto OLIVE KITTERRIDGE also on my nook

You are the author of your own life story.
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Zia01 wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hey guys I just got a nook, registered it and voila all my previous ebooks from my B&N library magically appeared, I am now officially in the 21st century. ;-)

Congrats! I just got my Nook a few weeks ago and I love it! I was a sworn no ebook reader until the last First Look book. When I discovered it wasn't so bad, I just had to have one.

you guys may influence me yet!!!     but for  now- it's old skool all the way LOL

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

gmfuhlman wrote:

I also remember my first library card plus the card catalog. Sometimes I date myself because when I am talking about the libraries, and how things used to be done the young people just look at me as if I am from another country.:smileyhappy: What I also remembers is that you had to be quite in the library, and now you can talk on your cell phone etc. I should say that people do talk on them even when there are signs all over the place to shut your phone off.  Do you think that the libraries will be around in the near future? Especially since books as we know them to be.

OH, I sincerely hope they will always be around.  but I am honestly concerned that they may not.  I am not sure why I am as concerned about it as I am.  I know that the fact of library branches closing around here, and hours being cut that they are open is a big concern.  I know of at least one on this forum that is in one of those affected one way or another in my area.  I had been in the process of working toward my MLS, but am right now running scared because of all the cuts.   I have decided just to go ahead and stay in the classroom.  That is still not a given anymore.

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: iPad????

krb2g wrote:

Well, I am now pretty set on not getting a Nook--I have a Kindle (which I love) and I just got an iPad (which is amazing, good for .pdfs in ways that the Kindle sometimes is not, and can check email when I'm near a wireless network)--and I've been reading B&N ebooks on the iPad instead of the computer now--which is about 1000x more pleasant.

So, do you recommend I just go ahead and get the iPad? I have been trying to justify a nook (or K.)  but not there yet.   I will be in the need of a new laptop fairly soon, and am leaning toward the iPad, as I use my powerbook MOSTLY for surfing.  I have a great desktop for  'real' stuff'.  

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

nymazz wrote:

Wow, I remember that card, I had one also....so how bad are we dating ourselves with that memory? haha

Probably more than we would like to admit.  Speaking for myself, I am '33'; quite a feat I think since my daughter is reaching the 3-0 herself.  oops I meant '25'. But still.....

-Sir Richard Steele