Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Readers

The boys with the crooked necks fascinate me. In that day and time they probably had no idea what their father was doing to them. From the beginning of the book you know you're rooting for the boys and that their hard work early in life will do them well as they grow up. Just as in real life you hope the inspiration for these boys have had a good life. And maybe the real life boys will feel honored to be part of this book.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Thanks for a thoughtful and open introductory letter Mr. MacHart. I am looking forward to both reading and discussing your book. 

Bonnie

New User
candisita
0 Kudos

Hello Bruce, I am about 3/4 done with The Wake of Forgiveness. It is one of those rare treasures that I cannot put down, yet despair that it will soon be over. Your prose touches my soul, there are passages that I read over and over, relishing their beauty. One that especially touched me was when Sophie describes Karel, describing how he touches her with the back of his hand so as to not suffer her to feel his callouses. She explains how the injuries of his soul open something in her that can only be appeased by loving him. I brought tears to my eyes. The thems of hurt and redemption, of family, of loss, all set in the rugged terrain of Texas make your work one that I will definately recommend. I'm already looking forward to your next work. can
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I have enjoyed numerous books thanks to the First Look Club, but I must say between the jaw dropping trailer and your raw description of how this book came to be, I am beyond excited to start on this jewel.

I am holding out until discussion time simply because I don't want to divulge the "dreaded spoiler", but I must admit I am completely antsy about getting started on this.

I can't wait to get reading and now that I have the visual as well as your insight, I feel I'm going to get SO MUCH from what looks like a terrific read!

Thanks again and I look forward to chatting with you about this beauty!

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Hi:  Thank you for sharing some of the history behind your book. I am looking forward to discussing your book with you and members of this First look Club. I can't wait to receive my copy.

CAG
Reader 2
SusieLMNOP
0 Kudos

Great intro!  It's so nice to "meet" you and I'm looking forward to some big conversations about your book.   I love to hear about the writing process from an author's perspective-- it's so interesting when those little bits of reality get wrapped up in a fictional story.  I'll be keeping those real life brothers in mind as I read TWoF.

Contributor
erinsam
0 Kudos

Thank you for the sharing your book and story with us.  We all look forward to having a lively discussion.

Contributor
Phoenix913
0 Kudos

Bruce

One of the things I TRULY enjoy about being a First Look reader is getting to know the author. I honestly believe there is a little bit of truth in all fiction. Where did you build the story from about the midwife? It was very realistic.

I must confess that I have already finished the book, and I am going back for a second, more "analytical" read, if you will. I want to thank you for sharing yourself with us on such a deep level. It really takes a lot of courage to do that.

I had to laugh at myself in the first chapter in order to bear some of the sadness because I was diagnosing what the medical problem was (placental abruption or previa) and then I was rewritting scenarios in my mind on how different things might have turned out if such and such medical intervention had taken place, and on and on.... It is a nurse thing I guess!

I will keep my commentaries until the end of the discussion in order to avoid "spoiling" things for the other readers.

Phoenix

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I am very excited to read your new book. I have read the first few chapters and had to stop myself because I didn't want to finish it in a week. I know reading this book will be an adventure and I'm happy to be sharing it with so many book lovers and yourself. Thanks for the opportunity.

Happy Reading!

Danielle

Frequent Contributor
Madgy
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce! This is my first book club and it is my pleasure to be a part of this group and have the opportunity to read and discuss your book before it's released!  This is very exciting to me and I look forward to the discussions with everybody! 

So welcome,

Madgy from Massachusetts!

Contributor
cbaaa108
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce,

Thank you so much for sharing your background with us. I often wonder how authors come up with their stories and love to 'hear' just what they were thinking/experiencing during the time of writing.

No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to hold off reading a book when I have it in my possession. So as you probably have guessed I finished it yesterday and like other readers I will be going back to it to refresh the many thoughts/feelings I experienced. I didn't want it to end :smileysad:.

You're book was wonderful and very thought provoking and I am looking forward to the discussions that lie ahead. 

Cathy

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thank you for sharing your book with us!  I'm nearly half way through and find your writing, your sentences, to be so beautiful that I often have to reread them.  It is so interesting to hear about the family using the children to plow that inspired part of the story.  My father was quite a storyteller, and humorous, and he used to tease a good friend that he could strap his wife to the plow to save the tractor.  We all smiled because it was such a far-fetched idea, but I wondered where Dad ever came up with such a thought.

I am looking forward to finishing and discussing the book.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

I am looking forward to reading this book with you and the others in this group.  My family roots are deep in the land of Texas and New Mexico farming.  After reading the previews, this book drew me to it's story. 

Thank you for sharing some of your journey to through this story. The story within the story is always one that brings depth to the reading and breadth to the understanding.  I can hardly wait for next week to arrive.

Karen aka Mtn_Muse

~The flow of words from an artist's pen can reveal much beauty without and within.~

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

Your introduction is so eloquent that my anticipation for the book is increasing. Thank you for allowing your story to reach us. It is a privilege to be allowed to read and discuss an author's new "child" with the author and so many terrific readers.

In the FL groups you will find a wonderful group of people who love books and the process itself. Your introduction allows us the honor of peering inside the process/birth of a story and the art form it takes.

So many things in life can distract us from our work that it really isn't surprising how long it takes us to "learn" how to do something important. You have done a great job. I have only read a small portion of the book as I am awaiting the schedule and the discussions to begin but what I read was captivating.

Thank you again for allowing us into your world and your process.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

I am really looking forward to reading your book and having the opportunity to discuss it with you and the book group. I am a retired high school English teacher who spent 35 years teaching books written by authors long dead. Since my retirement, I spend as much time as possible finding opportunities to be involved with discussions or readings that  include the writer. How wonderful it is to be able to ask the questions that I could never ask of the classic writers! Thank you for giving us this gift of both the book and your participation in our discussions.

I did read the first few pages and want to read more, but I'm disciplining myself - at least for another few days. :smileyembarrassed:)

Betty

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Bruce, Welcome! 

Thank you so much for offering your book to our group, and then for giving us the behind the scenes look at the writing of it.  This always makes the reading a deeper and more meaningful experience for us!

I haven't begun the book yet as we're leaving for vacation in a couple of days and it's my vacation reading selection, but it sounds very intense and emotional.  I look forward to this experience. 

I can only imagine how vulnerable a writer must feel about putting either their experiences or  even just their thoughts to paper, and then putting the whole thing out there for us, the readers.  From the introduction, I think I'll be very glad you were brave enough to share! <grin>

---Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce..I have been   admiring The Artwork...and have only read a few Pages of your Novel "The Wake of Forgiveness"Looking forward to our discussions..Its a Wonderful way to Debut your Novel..I can tell as so many others have stated,we are waiting and privileged  to have this opportunity.........Thank you Paul and BN,Paul you know us well.......Susan ..VTC

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Thank you for your post and look forward to reading The Wake of Forgiveness. Fiction or not the title sounds appropriate from what you have said about this story.  

Your writing flows on and on, I see why people are having trouble setting it down. :smileyhappy:

I haven't started reading for that exact reason, it would be too hard to stay away from soilers.

Cora

Contributor
beadedchihuahua
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce,

I came home from a camping trip to find your book waiting for me. I've already read the first chapter. I found that chapter alone full of emotions. I won't say more because I don't want to leak any spoilers..

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Once I received the book I had to open it and take a peek.  I will be on schedule, with reading for school and all, I wanted to be sure I was able to keep up therefore I read ahead.

I will wait to post comments when the time is right.  Glad to have you share your background so I can better absorb the book and the meaning as well.  I must say I've had to read & re-read some of the passages to understand the prose of your writing . . .   I have been reading attempting to see if I get a "feel" for your style but not able to get my hands around it in this novel.

Can't wait for honest open dialogue about the book

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color