Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sorele
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Readers

Dear Bruce,

This is the first time that I've been able to participate in a First Look group.  I am really excited to have the chance to read a book and enter into discussion with the author.  The whole process of writing a novel is a mystery to me.  But I'm so glad there are people like you who can manage such a feat.

Looking forward to our discussion.

Sue

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Bruce...can't wait to speak with you about your book!

You are the author of your own life story.
Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

Dear Bruce, it will be a treat to have you with us on line for the duration of the discussion. Thanks in advance for doing that. It will be interesting to see how or if your east coast experience gets utilized in this western tale. 

Jo
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us and agreeing to join in the discussions.  I am looking forward to finishing the book and the upcoming discussions.  Thank you for having the courage to "give" us your book. As someone mentioned earlier, we are a friendly group.  I welcome you to the First Look Book Club and hope you will get as much out of this opportunity as I am sure we, as readers, will. 

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Contributor
ToniWI
0 Kudos

Thank you for offering background information on The Wake of Forgiveness and your journey to publishing your book.  I love when authors take real life situations and turn them into "believable fiction".

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Thank you Bruce for sharing your work with us, and for giving us insight on your thoughts for writing the book.. I am looking forward to the discussion! 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Bruce...knowing the basis of where the book came from in your mind makes me love it more.  Cover to cover this was a great book.  I cannot wait until the conversation opens up!  The first chapter pulls you in and it is impossible to stop reading!  Well done!

You are the author of your own life story.
Contributor
jodell7
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for sharing your behind the scenes thoughts about your book.  It makes the book more real to the reader knowing that a real live person put their heart and sole into writing it.  As an avid reader, I sometimes take it for granted that there is an author.  You can sometimes get so engrossed in the books and the characters that you don't make the connection.  I am very excited about reading your novel.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Bruce_Marchart, Hi, I just started your book. It sound interesting and I am anxious about reading this story.

I am glad that you are with us.

I see that this book was based on some real life story. I like that is some books. It gives me a reference point.

What are you working on now?

ReadingPatti

Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

Bruce, I see that you  went to OSU--Buckeyes!!! My husband, myself and all 3 three grown children attended OSU.   Just out of curiousity--what years were you in Columbus, where did you live around campus.  Did you ever get out to Newark and see the Moundbuilder Indians Great Circle?

Thanks --I know they aren't about the book  but you piqued my interest.

Correspondent
PinkPanther
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I would first like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to share your book in our first look club. It is very exciting to read a book in which the author put so much of his time and love into it. I am sure that we will feel your 8 years of ups and downs throughout the book. I have already read the first chapter and I am hooked. I am even more interested in the book now that I know some characters are true in your fathers memories. Thank you again!

"I ought, therefore I can"
-Immanuel Kant
Contributor
AshDar
0 Kudos

Thank you for telling us your story, Bruce. I am excited to read your book. I have read about four or five chapters and I am really enjoying this story. It's not exactly a happy one, but there are moments that are full of joy and moments full of pain. It's a real story, something that everyone can relate to. Life is not all happiness or all pain. It is a mix of the two.

I look forward to discussing your book with you and the other First Lookers here. Thank you so much for letting us be apart of your world.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce: I just finished your book and just want to say what a great story. I am looking forward to the discussions.

CAG
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Bruce,

When starting a First Look Book session such as this-what is the outcome you have set out to accomplish with the interaction?  Will you fine tune some of the content?  Are you looking for a certain type of 'thought-provoking' response from your readers?  Will you tweak content based upon our didactic interaction?

One of the first thoughts I wondered as I started the novel was - "should I point out some content issues", "shall I make notes or scribbles based up chapter content"?

Just curious as to your main goal and what you will take away from our participation since each person reads something different into the words as well as their past experience bundled into the readings.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
FireRaven9
0 Kudos

Bruce, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am excited about the opportunity to read your book as an advanced reader. I appreciate the opportunity to do so, so thank you and thanks to Barnes and Noble for hosting the club.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

FireRaven9 wrote:

Bruce, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am excited about the opportunity to read your book as an advanced reader. I appreciate the opportunity to do so, so thank you and thanks to Barnes and Noble for hosting the club.

I know this is Bruce's thread,but i wanted to Welcome you  FireRaven9..to FirstLook A very exciting Book..Any questions,feel free to ask any of us,,Enjoy  Susan Vtc..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Hi,

I have read the first part of the book for our discussion. The suspense and emotional draw that you create is magnetic. From the first page I was hooked. I must admit if I was a nail biter, I wouldn't have a single one left!  I know that I am going to have a hard time reading it according to our schedule. The pages turn themselves.

In your introduction, you wrote:  "Years after hearing this tale, I wondered if I could make such an outrageous truth both believable and compelling in fiction, if I could make it as indelible for the reader, for you, as it was in my father’s memory, and that was the driving question behind which The Wake of Forgiveness widened."

You have made it both memorable and indelible.

Inspired Correspondent
nfam

I love the story about where your idea came from. It certainly makes the book memorable. 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

nfam, I agree. I love how Bruce's book came about.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

thewanderjew, Patti, here. I read your post and agree wholeheartedly.

Bruce's book is very beleiveable and very readable. I want to read more and hope it never ends.

Great post.

ReadingPatti