Contributor
Mia_C
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Readers

Thank you for sharing your book with us in this forum. I find that many books here are among those I may not have stumbled upon on my own.

I must say that I've enjoyed reading the book because it's given me much insight about a place, environment and point in time quite foreign to me. For this reason, everything is fresh and a total learning experience -- even the nuances in the language. The descriptions are very vivid and facilitate imagery in my head which always spells success for me when I read a book.  The pace and the back and forth between characters, time and events also keep me at a certain level of unease which makes me eager to read on.

Inspired Contributor
suzebomb54
0 Kudos

Thank you for your insight to the book. It makes reading the book much more interesting.

I want to compliment you on your writing style. I am throughly enjoying reading this book. I am usually a reader that gets through a book very quickly and I find myself purposely slowing myself down in order to savor your beautiful words and passages. I find myself rereading parts just to embrace your thoughts

Thanks again fro sharing your book with us!

"So many books, so little time"

Susan
Contributor
katiegirl
0 Kudos

Thank you, Bruce for being so open with us about your past and what led you to write the book. I enjoyed reading the book, even if the subject, a western in the 1800's is not something I would have normally read. I think that you nailed it on this one!

katiegirl
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I loved this book! I found that it was so powerful that I experienced it rather than just read it! Having taught American literature to high school juniors for "many" years, I am a fan of Steinbeck's works, large and small. I felt sometimes as if I were in the midst of a Steinbeck novel. I kept thinking of the struggles in Grapes of Wrath. However, I do think there is some happiness hinted at in your novel and I'm not sure we ever find that in Steinbeck.

I also appreciate your style of writing. I was reminded of the cataloging of Walt Whitman and Carl Sandburg. I am a fan of compound-complex sentences, especially those with colons in them. My book is full of underlined passages. I often stopped to study the structure as well as the meaning of a sentence or paragraph. I compare this skill of yours to the writing of Pat Conroy whose sentences can stand alone in their beauty.

I was so moved by your book that I found myself talking about it to anyone who would listen to me. I needed to talk about these characters, especially Karel. I share a special bond with my two sons and know how important I am in their lives. My heart went out to Karel because he didn't have that mother to turn to or depend on or to learn tenderness or love from. I think he was lucky to have Sophie and seems by the end to have learned to appreciate much in his life.

Thank you for this beautiful story. It is certainly not beautiful in the standard ways because it is a harsh, tragic story, but it is beautiful in its imagery and its lessons.

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
lmp
New User
lmp
0 Kudos

Thank you for allowing me to read your novel before it is released to the public. I'm not finished yet, but I would recommend it to my friends. One of my favorite lines so far is: " The rain needles his good eye, and the sky is dark enough to suggest that the moon has orphaned the heavens" (126).

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

lmp wrote:

Thank you for allowing me to read your novel before it is released to the public. I'm not finished yet, but I would recommend it to my friends. One of my favorite lines so far is: " The rain needles his good eye, and the sky is dark enough to suggest that the moon has orphaned the heavens" (126).

Welcome Imp To FirstLook..Bruces passages are so vivid,I liked that one as well...Enjoy TWOF..A very special Book..Best Susan..Any questions,just ask us..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Bruce Machart

First, I'd like to say I'm a late bloomer to the addiction of reading, and recently caught the writing bug. That said, I thank you for your insights and explanations in writing your book. And giving me the privilege of reading your pre-published 'Novel'.

I like your honesty on how long it took to write/learn to write The Wake of Forgivness.

I've had a few false starts in getting use to your writing style. Now I don't want to put it down.

Thank you

Cora

Frequent Contributor
mgmama33
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thank you for such a touching a beautiful novel.  I loved your story and imagery.  I felt like I was in the story peering into these lives as I read it.

Sara

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thank you for sharing the background behind the story.  What an interesting story about your aunt's first husband and his brothers.  I admire you for writing such a powerful book.

Judy 

Contributor
MarabPillot
0 Kudos

Bruce, i just finished reading your book and thought it was excellent! It's not the usual type of book that I like to read but am glad that I decided to participate in the First Look book club and read this type of book. I found some of the parts of the book difficult to read as there were some brutal parts but knew that they were essential to the story line. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Best,
Mara Bosch