Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Machart Family Photo

“Taken in Lavaca County (Probably in the town of Weid, TX) in either 1910 or 1911. This is the Machart family. There would be two more kids before my poor great grandmother would get a reprieve. 11 (surviving) children in all. My paternal Grandpa is standing at the far right, just to his mother's left.” -- Bruce
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Machart Family Photo

This is so cool, thanks

Paul_Hochman wrote:
“Taken in Lavaca County (Probably in the town of Weid, TX) in either 1910 or 1911. This is the Machart family. There would be two more kids before my poor great grandmother would get a reprieve. 11 (surviving) children in all. My paternal Grandpa is standing at the far right, just to his mother's left.” -- Bruce

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Wow. what a great photo! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Frequent Contributor
gackie
0 Kudos

Great photo. Thanks for sharing.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

What a great photo, and a great way to connect to the book. Thanks for sharing it!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
MissJ4
0 Kudos

Great photo - thanks for sharing so we can relate it to our reading!

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I love old family photes...thanks so much for sharing!  A snapshot of history is something amazing!

You are the author of your own life story.
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the picture Bruce, it gives more life to the story!

Kittysmom

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Contributor
Dotcat
0 Kudos

I love seeing old photos...especially around the turn of the century. It really takes you back in time and makes it easier to imagine what it would have been like in those days. I cannot imagine having so many children!

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

This is great. Thanks.

CAG
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i don't have any family photos; i wish i did. was it the style to shave th children's heads?

Frequent Contributor
crazylilcuban
0 Kudos

This is a fantastic old family photo! I love seeing how Bruce's family could sort of fit in with the story, just because it makes it that little bit more real and personal.

Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the photo. It helps to relate to the time period.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Wow!  They all look so serious!  Thanks for sharing.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Contributor
DfiggZ
0 Kudos

Oh Wow Thanks for sharing.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I love old photos like this, thank for sharing. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Thanks for sharing!  I don't quite understand the caption, however.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

including a photo helps relate to the book

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

i don't have any family photos; i wish i did. was it the style to shave th children's heads?

Oh, twj, your reply struck at my heart.  I had some that were "handed down" directly, but one of the best "whole big family" ones that I now have came from a second cousin whom I connected with, when I started exploring my family's genealogy.   Have you done any of that?   There may be people out there to whom you are a bit distantly related, who have images that you would so enjoy, and who would be happy to share with you.   Most of us genealogy buffs love connecting with a new 'cousin' and sharing what we know.  It's so much easier now online.  (Until recent technological advances, it was much harder to find them, and then we had to mail packets of info, copies of  old photos, obituaries, family trees, etc)

And if your precious family records were some of those tragically lost in the Holocaust, I am even manyfold sorrier.  When I was a child,  my mother worked with Displaced Persons who had seen their whole families die, and the memory of their quiet faces and sad eyes has never left me.    

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

This photo is priceless.  It is amazing that I had pictured a family like yours.