Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Re: Machart Family Photo

I just love old photographs. Thanks for sharing it!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:
“Taken in Lavaca County (Probably in the town of Weid, TX) in either 1910 or 1911. This is the Machart family. There would be two more kids before my poor great grandmother would get a reprieve. 11 (surviving) children in all. My paternal Grandpa is standing at the far right, just to his mother's left.” -- Bruce

Wonderful Bruce..It gives me That Visual that I Always need when reading. TWOF  Was a visual feast for me..,as well as a Great Book.. Thanks Bruce...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

That is an amazing picture, thanks for sharing! I love seeing old photos of people's family history.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

I like the picture.  It definitely shows me the time frame of the novel and maybe a little more insight as to where the idea came from for the novel.  Thank you for sharing this photo.

Paul_Hochman wrote:
“Taken in Lavaca County (Probably in the town of Weid, TX) in either 1910 or 1911. This is the Machart family. There would be two more kids before my poor great grandmother would get a reprieve. 11 (surviving) children in all. My paternal Grandpa is standing at the far right, just to his mother's left.” -- Bruce

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Reader 2
JuliaWo
0 Kudos

That's a fantastic photo. My Mom was decluttering her house and was going to throw away lots of old family photos (from around the 1920-30's), I said no, save them and send them to me. Those kinds of family records are priceless.

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing, Bruce!  Don't forget, we look at it as your poor great grandmother with all of those kids, but actually, the bigger the family, the more help for her---down the road!

My dad was one of 7 kids (farm family) and one was lost at birth, so there would have been 8!  Everyone had a job, according to my dad!

Barb

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

That's a great photo--I absolutely can see it being a family from the book.  Thanks for sharing!

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn

Wow, I love historical stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

What a wonderful picture!

Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

Wonderful picture. I enjoy seeing the way they dressed.  I wonder if it was a "formal" occasion or if they got into their "Sunday best" for the photo.   

Frequent Contributor
Suyai
0 Kudos

Wow! Thank you for sharing! It really helps add details to how I imagine the characters

Frequent Contributor
reader76
0 Kudos

To have the evidence of your family history is great.  Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

What a rare gem.  Recently I have been going through my family's old pictures and would have loved to have found one so complete.

Thank you for sharing.

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

What a great photo!  Thanks for sharing.  It helps to relate to the location and time period.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Wow, what a wonderful photo!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  It really helps me relate to the story.

Frequent Contributor
sylvia387
0 Kudos

What a great photo!

My mother was born in 1910, so it gives me a nice point of "time" reference.  I LOVE the hats!

Sylvia

No expectations..No disappointments
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Eleven kids? Bless her heart.  I think it's great you have a picture from so far back.  Very cool. 

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Thanks for the photo. It really helps paint a clearer picture of life during the book.

Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thanks for sharing this amazing photograph.  I love the feeling of connecting with previous generations through old family photos.  You may not have known them personally, but there is always that indelible connection that you feel to your kin.

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero