Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Bruce's Editor, Adrienne Brodeur?

Adrienne:

Thank you so much for your editing insights.  I'm enjoying TWOF and look forward to finishing the third section.  I intend to go back and re-read the book as a "whole" when done.  I'm sure I'll pick up things that I've missed along the way. 

Best of luck to you and Bruce - hope to see you on the bestseller list.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Adrienne:

Thx for joining this discussion. And for your eye and ear for spotting writing talent.

Keep parsing those long sentences, or find a colleague who will!  :smileyvery-happy:

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Well Adrienne ,What can I say..Its been great having you with us ,your insight is refreshing,and recognizing Bruce as a  Wonderful Challenging,Writer I will promote to friends here in Vt,,We do a lot of Reading,,My Very Active and Beautiful Bookstore is so very far away from any BN,That I will mention it here The Northshire Bookstore Manchester,Center ,Vt...Vt has  so many great writers living here..as I'm sure you know..I emailed the WSJ Review to a Bookseller friend there..I will lend him my Copy..But he must return it  lol..  Much Success...Maybe one Day a visit...Glad we Have Bruce for one more week..The Best is yet to come....SusanVtc Please Visit your Thread and The Wake of Forgiveness Board.,It will be here for a very long time....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Adrienne, I wanted to say welcome and thank you for your time this week. I don't have a specific question for you but have enjoyed your responses. You have a hit on your hands!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
crazyladyteacher
0 Kudos

This is not so much a question as a comment.

Although I am enjoying the book, I find the pace to be too slow. It's beautifully written, but I keep finding myself putting the book down to read something else that moves a bit faster, then I come back and enjoy the beauty of WoF. Unfortunately, that means it is taking me a long time to get through this story. Because of the times I have to read during the day, WoF often gets set aside because I can not concentrate on it long enough to appreciate it. I have had to move this to my weekend read instead of my daily read.

Contributor
Adrienne-Brodeur
0 Kudos

Rachel, 

Most days I feel incredibly lucky to be an editor, but it is rare that I feel so appreciated for my work. Thank you! 

My best, Adrienne

Contributor
Adrienne-Brodeur
0 Kudos

Dear B, 

You will definitely want to read the novel straight through.

Thanks so much for your good wishes for TWOF ... and for your help getting it on that list! Please spread the word. 

My best, Adrienne

Contributor
Adrienne-Brodeur
0 Kudos

DSaff, 

I love the sound of "a hit" -- many thanks for your help in spreading the word and making it one. 

My best, Adrienne

Author
Bruce-Machart

Thanks so very much for all of the time and insight, Adrienne!

Many of you know this, of course, but many may not---hence my words here:

Editing and publishing have changed so much in the past twenty years or so, and editors like Adrienne are expected to perform so many functions.  It's part gut interpreter, part entrepreneur, part business manager, part financial consultant, part salesman, part public relations agent, and on and on.

And Adrienne has been a Godsend. On all counts.  TWOF would not have seen the light of day without her, and I can't help myself if, as the case is here, I am given the chance to sing her endless praises.

Cheers to you, Madame Editor.  You have made, in Frost's words, all the difference.

B.

www.brucemachart.com
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Adrienne, Sorry I missed saying thank you, but THANK YOU! Glad you could join us and thanks for answering my question!
Danielle

Adrienne-Brodeur wrote:

Hi Danielle, 

Thanks for the question.

I tend to be a bit anti-establishment by nature, so I most love to find stories/writers through other than the ordinary means. Typically, an editor finds writers by taking the agents who represent them out to lunch and schmoozing. (And for the record, I do my fair share of that.) But I also try less conventional means -- I read literary journals, I listen to my writer friends when they tell me of a great student they’ve had, and I pay attention at conferences, on line, etc.

Once I fall in love with a book (and really, that is what it comes down to), I have to be able to effectively convey my passion to everyone in house. That sounds easier than it is. As is true in every aspect of life, people tend to be far better critics than supporters, and by and large, try to talk you out of things. "Well, that book is guy fiction and men don't buy books." "It's another _____ (fill in the blank) knock off." "He has a terrible sales record." ETC. And, as you all know, everyone is busy. Additionally, editors have to compete against one another, in effort to get the attention of folks in publicity, marketing and sales. Your job is to get as many people on board as possible.

On different days, I love/hate different aspects of the job, but mostly I feel lucky because I really do love what I do.

Best, Adrienne