Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Congratulations, Gisela! What a worthy project. You are making many children very happy.  =)

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am Gisela from Northern California, retired and always willing to join another First Look conversation.

I read, I write, I knit, I photograph, I travel, I pull weeds. That sums up my life. As for knitting, last month I finished knitting my 200th teddy bear for the Mother Bear Project (teddy bears for HIV/Aids infected children in Africa and other places) and will resume with bear #201 in September. On Thursday I am going to travel to the Greek Islands and Turkey to take lots of photos of ruins. The weeds will have to wait until I return home.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Erinsam.  Welcome to First Look!  =)

erinsam wrote:

Hi everyone from Philadelphia

This is my first "First Look" and am excited to join in the discussion....

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the First Look group, Robyn! It's good to have you here. =)

Robyn_Nichole wrote:

Hey All,

My name is Robyn.  I am from Dallas, Texas and 30 years old.  I have a huge appetite for books.  Sometimes I get so lost in the story that I feel a explosion can go off beside me and I wouldn't know.  I read about 1 book a day.  I am in between jobs since the beginning of the summer so the extra time has helped feed my addiction.  I have never participated in a First Look but hopefully I will get to join this one.  I can't wait!!!

Robyn :smileyhappy:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Ashley  =)

AshDar wrote:

Hi all! My name is Ashley and I was in the Monsters of Templeton FLBC but I got bogged down with university. I am 22 and just recently graduated with a bachelors in history. :smileyhappy: I hope to work in the publishing field and I think this will be a great way to spend my free time. 

Scribe
DSaff

Welcome, Sheryl! One of the things I love about First Look is that we get to read different genre and many new authors. I hope you enjoy yourself.  =)

SherylNC wrote:

Hi! My name is Sheryl and I live in NC. I moved here several years ago from California and absolutely love it here! I adore reading and have always loved it. I have spent many nights NOT sleeping.. but reading one of those books you just cannot put down. If I get selected for this First Look (which will be my first), I'm looking forward to reading this book because of the historical aspect of it.

I love all kinds of books.. but mostly get into either historical fiction or mystery/suspense/drama genre. But in reality... I've read all sorts of books across all genres! Good writing is good writing! :-) My brother has even gotten me to read some sci-fi.

Thanks!

Sheryl

pre
Reader
pre
0 Kudos

I'm a single mom of 2 adult kids; just finished some grad school classes and ready for some "pleasure" reading.

Contributor
CindyWhoLu
0 Kudos

This is my first attempt at doing something like this and I'm excited to (hopefully) participate.  I love to read and always look for new authors to try.  I think the only time I ever had to discuss a book is during an English class and those were never books I was reading for pleasure.  I'm sure this will be a better experience.:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Gail Marie, and I live in Spanaway/Graham area (Washington state). I have been with the First Look from the beginning and I have really enjoyed this book club and the people I got to talk too. Plus meeting new authors that I wouldn't have read if it wasn't for Paul Hochman our(administrator). Any way I will be finish with college on August 17, and I am hoping that I can find a job since I have been laid off since March of last year. Going back to college when you are 58 years young . Can't wait to read this book because I am from Texas, I love to read anything about my home state.

Take care and great reading.

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I'm Susan from So California.  This will be (I hope) my 3rd First Look read.  It's such a unique experience for me, I hope to return again and again.  I love to read, make quilts, spend time with friends and family,  puttering in the yard and lots of other things. 

Take care,

Susan

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone!

I'm Rachel, your moderator for this next month. I'm thrilled to see so many new members and old timers up and running already! 

If you are new, please hang out and browse the threads and jump to ask as many questions as you like. We have a wonderful crowd of regulars here who love to welcome new folks and have many tips and tricks for navigating the boards. 

I also seem to have a bunch of neighbors. I grew up in St. Louis, lived in Baltimore for some wonderful years (and the Eastern Shore) and now live in North Carolina. I've got two great little girls and a golden, (who also thinks he's a little girl). I'm also a librarian, so I get to enjoy in person book groups, too. 

Bravo to Sunltcloud for Bear #200!  

And Katiegirl, I adore you feisty survivors. I'm so happy you're joining us while you tackle the next step. 

And, Amanda-Louise--2nd trimester rocks! (Third trimester, no one was allowed to speak to me unless they were handing me chocolate ice cream.)

And If DfiggZ offers a class on how to squeeze two hours out of every single hour, please sign me up. 

Thanks to all who've joined so far. I'll post a reading schedule when the brown trucks hit the road, and then I'll post new discussion questions on Monday mornings. 

Cheers!

Rachel

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Thanks, Donna. Looking at a picture of a child holding the bear I knitted makes me happy too. One of our bears sometimes is the only thing a child will possess.

DSaff wrote:

Congratulations, Gisela! What a worthy project. You are making many children very happy.  =)

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am Gisela from Northern California, retired and always willing to join another First Look conversation.

I read, I write, I knit, I photograph, I travel, I pull weeds. That sums up my life. As for knitting, last month I finished knitting my 200th teddy bear for the Mother Bear Project (teddy bears for HIV/Aids infected children in Africa and other places) and will resume with bear #201 in September. On Thursday I am going to travel to the Greek Islands and Turkey to take lots of photos of ruins. The weeds will have to wait until I return home.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I'm Jo from PHX, AZ,  so one more west-of-the-Mississippi signing in.  Have to admit I'm not from there originally and have lived in maybe ten different states, so many of you are on territory familiar to me and I feel like I'm talking to neighbors ;-)  

I've done a bunch of FL discussions and have really enjoyed the chance to preview the books, interact with the authors and editors, and exchange views on this lively forum!  I'll be very glad if I make it in again.  I was freaking today because I had to be in airports and on planes most of the day, and I knew sign-up started at noon.  EEEEK, fingers are crossed, this sounds like a good one.

Just want to say "Thanks for the job you do!" to AutismTeacher.  One of my daughters is a school psych and I hear lots of stories about the challenges you face. 

And Congratulations to Ashley for finishing your bachelor's.   A history major should enjoy this book a lot.  I love the way a well researched novel adds life to the dry facts that are so much of what we learn about history. 

Hope I make it in and can look forward to talking to everyone again soon!

Contributor
tcg60
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Terri and I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I love to read and would enjoy being part of this. I have 4 children, ages 12 to 22. I honestly do not understand people who don't read every day!
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi...

I'm Cora, living in Northern California, USA. I'm retired. And have been widowed for almost 6 years, now. I recently moved closer to my 87 year old Dad, my children and step children.

It feels good to be back here. I moved a few months ago from a home I lived in for 20 years. Since the move I've been cataloging my books as I shelve them. So far my count is 512 and I'm about 3/4 done. My poor, tired kids, they are moving everything for me. I have the basic furniture, lots of bookcases for my books and they put all those books into shelves in the garage so I could take my time cataloging them. It's cubersome and fun. I've found lost treasures and old treasures needing a new home; time for credit at the used book store. I'm adding to my newly started want to read stack, it's never complete.

Cora 

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Reading is my "main" hobby, lol.  To me, First Look is the next best thing after a physical book club, especially reading all the differing view points.     Then there's the Community Room where just about anything goes. 

Atreyu59 wrote:

Ebony,

You have read many books I see.  Interesting, I want to make more time to so the same, just have to slow down from some of my other hobbies to make it happen.

How did you like the First Look book club when you participated previously?  This is my first attempt & I think it will be good to interact & have dialogue about a book-hope it is interesting enough to engage me.  Thanks

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Terri! I agree with you. A day without some reading is like a day without water.  =)

tcg60 wrote:
Hi. My name is Terri and I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I love to read and would enjoy being part of this. I have 4 children, ages 12 to 22. I honestly do not understand people who don't read every day!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm Katie from Charlottesville, VA where I'm in grad school. I noticed a lot of folks from around Baltimore--which is where I grew up and where my folks still live. When I'm not reading for work, I'm reading for fun. I'm really looking forward to this book--B&N and these boards have introduced me to many great books!

New User
PaisleyV6
0 Kudos

I'm originally from Arkansas, but I've lived here in North Carolina most of my life. I've been unemployed since March 1st. This will be my first First Look, and I'm looking forward to it!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Yeah, Rachel! It's good to see you again, and I look forward to another discussion with you.  =)

Rachel-K wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I'm Rachel, your moderator for this next month. I'm thrilled to see so many new members and old timers up and running already! 

If you are new, please hang out and browse the threads and jump to ask as many questions as you like. We have a wonderful crowd of regulars here who love to welcome new folks and have many tips and tricks for navigating the boards. 

I also seem to have a bunch of neighbors. I grew up in St. Louis, lived in Baltimore for some wonderful years (and the Eastern Shore) and now live in North Carolina. I've got two great little girls and a golden, (who also thinks he's a little girl). I'm also a librarian, so I get to enjoy in person book groups, too. 

Bravo to Sunltcloud for Bear #200!  

And Katiegirl, I adore you feisty survivors. I'm so happy you're joining us while you tackle the next step. 

And, Amanda-Louise--2nd trimester rocks! (Third trimester, no one was allowed to speak to me unless they were handing me chocolate ice cream.)

And If DfiggZ offers a class on how to squeeze two hours out of every single hour, please sign me up. 

Thanks to all who've joined so far. I'll post a reading schedule when the brown trucks hit the road, and then I'll post new discussion questions on Monday mornings. 

Cheers!

Rachel

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Cindy! We have a great time discussing books and I hope you jump right in.  =)

CindyWhoLu wrote:

This is my first attempt at doing something like this and I'm excited to (hopefully) participate.  I love to read and always look for new authors to try.  I think the only time I ever had to discuss a book is during an English class and those were never books I was reading for pleasure.  I'm sure this will be a better experience.:smileyvery-happy: