Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to First Look, pre! Congrats on finishing the classes and having time for fun reading.  =)

pre wrote:

I'm a single mom of 2 adult kids; just finished some grad school classes and ready for some "pleasure" reading.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, PaisleyV6. Welcome to First Look!  =)

PaisleyV6 wrote:

I'm originally from Arkansas, but I've lived here in North Carolina most of my life. I've been unemployed since March 1st. This will be my first First Look, and I'm looking forward to it!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Hi Cora, welcome to First Look!  Our circumstances are similar, I am a widow-my husband passed away 6 years ago and I retired two years later.  I however am in the same house now for almost 40 years and my youngest son lives with me along with Miss Kitty our cat! I am doing a lot of updating on my house so reading has become a great pastime!  Good to meet you!

Gail or Kittysmom!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

My name is Eadie and I'm from Perkasie, PA in beautiful Bucks County PA which is 1 hour north of Philadelphia and 30 minutes south of Allentown. I have 1 husband (can only handle one at a time), 2 daughters (one lives in Charlotteville, VA and works for 5 deans at the university of VA and one is attending vet school at University of PA), 3 cats (Mulchy, Zebe and Blackberry) and 1 dog (Abbey who was my daughter's first spay and she asked me to rescue her). I also have 1 granddaugher in Charlottesville who will be 3 in September.

I have participated in over 10 First Look books. I am also participating on the Mystery and Fiction boards. If you love mysteries, then you should come over to the Mystery board and meet Becke Davis the moderator. She has introduced me to the best mystery authors. I have never read so many great books. Also check out the Fiction board with Debbie Haupt. She is the new moderator there and the last two books she chose have also been winners. So many books and so little time!

And most important, I go my confirmation for The Wake of Forgiveness this morning! Yeah!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Reader
TXShoeGal
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Kim and I'm from Houston, Texas.  This will be my first on-line book club experience.  I'm a licensed massage theraprist and performance improvement coordinator at a hospital in the Texas Medical Center.  I am divorced and have one amazing son who has recently returned home after completing a 5 year stint in the US Marines.  I worked for the enfamous Enron for 16+ years and to this day, I continue to have a hard time adjusting to a new career and financial strains.

Looking forward to reading "Forgivness" and discussions with the group!

Happy Reading :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rachel, it's good to see you here again. And if you lived anytime at all in St. Louis you'll understand this question, Where'd you go to high school. It's a small world.  I'm glad you'll be moderating I really enjoy the way it's done here so much so that I've modeled my forum from it. 

It's so good to see so many old friends and so many new faces, it makes the conversations so much better the more voices there are. And also for you newbies out there, please don't hesitate to ask questions we veterans are all here to help and make your visit here one that will make you want to come back again and again.

Eadie thanks for the ad, they never hurt.

Donna as usual is our welcome wagon hostess to make sure everyone feels at home right off the bat.

I also saw the confirmed in my mailbox and I so look forward to enjoying another new author and another new read. Now I just have to wait for the Brown Truck and the guy with the very nice legs to deliver my coveted package.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hiya Debbie and thanks! I went to UC High, and yes, isn't it funny? I've know native St. L's who refuse to answer that one. 

And I agree with you, the party hasn't started here in FL until I see Donna's first warm welcome posted!

Frequent Contributor
wendyroba
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have participated in First Look before and have really enjoyed the discussions. When I saw this book, I knew I had to read it :smileyhappy:

My name is Wendy - I'm a physical therapist living in Northern California. I love animals, reading (of course!), and quilting...and I have a very active book blog located here.

Looking forward to reading with all of you,

Wendy

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome to First Look, Kim! I'm sure your adjustment has been hard, but hopefully this experience will brighten your day.  =)

TXShoeGal wrote:

Hi my name is Kim and I'm from Houston, Texas.  This will be my first on-line book club experience.  I'm a licensed massage theraprist and performance improvement coordinator at a hospital in the Texas Medical Center.  I am divorced and have one amazing son who has recently returned home after completing a 5 year stint in the US Marines.  I worked for the enfamous Enron for 16+ years and to this day, I continue to have a hard time adjusting to a new career and financial strains.

Looking forward to reading "Forgivness" and discussions with the group!

Happy Reading :smileyhappy:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Great blog, Wendy!

wendyroba wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have participated in First Look before and have really enjoyed the discussions. When I saw this book, I knew I had to read it :smileyhappy:

My name is Wendy - I'm a physical therapist living in Northern California. I love animals, reading (of course!), and quilting...and I have a very active book blog located here.

Looking forward to reading with all of you,

Wendy

Contributor
cskiles80
0 Kudos

This is my first time with First Look, how long does it ususally take to get confirmed.  I signed up about noon yesterday and I see that some of you are already confirmed.  I have not, I am getting nervous that I will not be confirmed!!!

Colleen

Colleen Skiles
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to First Look, cskiles80! Confirmations are done daily, but it may take a little time to get your message because of the number of people signing up. But don't worry, Paul and his team are really on top of it.  =)

cskiles80 wrote:

This is my first time with First Look, how long does it ususally take to get confirmed.  I signed up about noon yesterday and I see that some of you are already confirmed.  I have not, I am getting nervous that I will not be confirmed!!!

Colleen

Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

Welcome Helen,

My name is Pat from New York. I have participated in about 5 First Looks.  Great reads !  I just received my confirmation and now the anticipation comes while waiting for the brown truck to arrive. 

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I never thought the word "confirmed" would become one of my most favorite words but it has.  Thank you, B&N.  I just received my confirmation!

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

katiegirl wrote:

Greetings!  I just put in a request to participate. Think it would be fun to be chosen. I am a single, childless female in her mid thirties living in the Midwest. I work in the medical field and obviously love to read! I've never been in a book club before and have always wanted to join one, so this really seems like an interesting opportunity! Although this does not define me, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May and celebrated my one month surgery anniversary yesterday. My prognosis is excellent and will start radiation mid to late August. I have cleared my calendar of all non work related items, but I know that I can participate in this!

Hi katiegirl,

Welcome.  Congratulations on your one month anniversary.  You are going to have a lot of fun here.  We will definitely clear your mind of everything but The Wake of Forgiveness.

Your new friend, Literature

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

Nice to be reading with you again.  Yes, I got my confirmation, so now the wait begins! 

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA and work for the Audubon Society there.  I've been doing the FL books since January of 09 only, but enjoying them so much.  Like other, only a couple I've enjoyed "less". 

Besides work, there's knitting, reading, cooking real food (I had to reteach myself that one) and dog rescue work.  Oh yeah, gardening, too!  This year, my special project was an "edible border", full of herbs and edible flowers.  So fun!

Hoping to get this copy so I can read on the plane to Alaska at the end of August.  Most beautiful place on earth---for us anyway!

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Correspondent
bibanon1
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I'm a Northern California library worker. I have worked in the retail and library book world for over ten years and I have had a book blog since 2003.  I have participated in many of the First Look programs and there have been only two that I did not enjoy.  I didn't participate in the last one because I do not enjoy digital book formats.  I am very excited to read this one!!!

-bibanon1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Hi I am Deb. I live in Southern NJ about 20-30 minutes outside Philadelphia. I am originally from NC, lived in Texas (San Antonio and Houston) for 5 years, PA for 2, Baltimore for 5 years. I have been in this area for over 15 years. I am married, have 3 children, expecting my first grandchild in about 3 weeks. My youngest is starting his second year of college in Sept. The middle son is leaving for the Marines on Sept 13. We will suddenly be empty nesters in the course of the next month. I am an English Teacher currently not teaching. We may be moving sometime this fall. I have particpated in several First Look reads prior to this. I love the experience and the books are terrific. I do have a Nook but did not participate in the last ebook FL.

I am looking forward to receiving a confirmation and getting to spend time with all of you. The discussions are always interesting and fun.

I also knit, crochet, cross stitch, and read of course. Good Luck everyone. I am looking forward to the fun.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Colleen - I also signed up yesterday morning and still haven't received a confirmation and am getting nervous.  When I signed up for the Antiphon ARC it did take awhile to get my confirmation but I can't exactly remember how long plus it was my first time signing up for one. From what I understand BN will give away quite a few ARCs so I am keeping my fingers crossed and I will cross them for you also. :smileyhappy:  Looking forward to discussing the book with you in September

Anita

:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

coffee_luvr wrote:

Hello!-

Just signed up; looking forward to it. 

I live in VA outside of DC.  I participated in one of the First Looks and also a Sneak Peak.  Really looking forward to this one.

Received my confirmation email yesterday (8/2/10); really looking forward to reading and discussing this selection.  My other FL and Sneak Peek experiences were really good and it broadened my horizons with different genres and subject matter that I would not normally have selected on my own. 

coffee_luvr

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman