Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi Everyone!

I just got my confirmation!  I'm Suzi and I've been participating in FL almost from the beginning.  I'm SO happy to have a "real" physical book coming to my door for this upcoming discussion.  Since I have a Mac, it seems the last e-book was near impossible to download and enjoy from my computer.  I just couldn't get into that style of reading, however I do see that they have an application for the ipad now, so someday I'll have an ipad and join the 21st century, I suppose.  For me though, nothing beats holding a real book and turning its pages.

'The Wake of Forgiveness' sounds like a fabulous book.  I can't wait to get started.  It's just my kind of novel.  I can't wait to hear what all of of you have to share about your reading experience.  You all make reading so much fun.  I'm so glad to be back!

Suzi

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Contributor
MissJ4
0 Kudos

It's an Italian restaurant - we serve sandwiches, pasta and of course lots of pizza!!

Frequent Contributor
BOOKWORM1414
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions (New)

:smileyhappy:Welcome Kathiegirl!

I have participated in several FL selection discussions and enjoyed all but the last one.  Have an NOOK (which I received as a gift).  My NOOK goes everywhere I go.  Glad that "Wake of Forgiveness" is in paper form.  Still like holding the book in my hands.  Especially for  reviewing purposes.   I am awaiting my confirmation as I enrolled Tuesday evening.  I know that you will find the discussion very interesting.

Much luck and support during your upcoming radiation therapy.  Although I do not have cancer, many people surrounding me do and my support and prayers reach out to them.

Glad to have as part of our discussions.

Bookworm1414

Reader-Moderator
liisa22

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I just got my confirmation!  I'm Suzi and I've been participating in FL almost from the beginning.  I'm SO happy to have a "real" physical book coming to my door for this upcoming discussion.  Since I have a Mac, it seems the last e-book was near impossible to download and enjoy from my computer.  I just couldn't get into that style of reading, however I do see that they have an application for the ipad now, so someday I'll have an ipad and join the 21st century, I suppose.  For me though, nothing beats holding a real book and turning its pages.

'The Wake of Forgiveness' sounds like a fabulous book.  I can't wait to get started.  It's just my kind of novel.  I can't wait to hear what all of of you have to share about your reading experience.  You all make reading so much fun.  I'm so glad to be back!

Suzi

Hi suzi,

I too am a Mac user. I think downloaded it here, but I actually read it on my iPhone!!  That was not a pleasant experience.  I think I will get an iPad when I decide to enter the 21st century!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Re: Hi I'm Bonnie

salander_9277 wrote:

I'm thrilled to be in on this First Look.  I only recently became a member of the forums and have been reading an ARC by Ken Scholes.  I love reading (and discussing!) and am trying to get in as much as I can before starting the last half of my Bachelor's degree in October.  I am a stay-at-home mom to two little boys (ages 1 and 3), Navy wife of 7 years and obviously a student.  

I am also participating in the ARC by Ken Scholes and it is my first time also.  Sci/fi is definitely not something I usually read but, I do have to say, that I am hooked.  Hope to talk to you in that forum soon and can't wait to talk about Forgiveness in September.  Anita

:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I am so happy to hear that you beat breast cancer!  That is an amazing thing.  My thoughts are with you.  I have lost a l ot of family to it and I am go happy to hear the good stories!

You are the author of your own life story.
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I love your quote

You are the author of your own life story.
Contributor
Maya2
0 Kudos

This sounds like a great book. I haven't been online with B&N for a while since I took B&N University classes.   Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Patty

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

Hi! I received my confirmation today. This is my second First Look, and I wish this was offered in ebook like the last one. I've been reading ebooks for years on my laptop and it was great to read the last FL on the Nook. I had a bookshelf in my house fall apart a month or two ago so getting rid of paper books would be a great. But, the book sounded good so I'm willing to risk another bookshelf collapse.

Frequent Contributor
camibones
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Cami and this will (well, provided I get a copy!) be the 2nd First Look I've participated in. I think this book looks really interesting and I can't wait to get started!

Contributor
annemd
0 Kudos

I am a doctor, and at times my work, plus being a mother and wife, takes up much of my time.

I love when I can make the time to read a good book.  I loved Eternal on the Water so much that I read it again with my book club.  Whenever I am in Barnes and Noble  recommend it to strangers (as well as B & N staff).  I look forward to another excellent book.

AnneMD
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to First Look, Patty! You will find that many of us were members of B&N University. This is a great forum for discussion and I hope you enjoy yourself.  :smileywink:

Maya2 wrote:

This sounds like a great book. I haven't been online with B&N for a while since I took B&N University classes.   Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Patty

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Yummmmmm  :smileyhappy:

MissJ4 wrote:

It's an Italian restaurant - we serve sandwiches, pasta and of course lots of pizza!!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

That's so funny about the chocolate ice cream.  With my second pregnancy (my daughter) my husband was out so many midnights driving the city looking for chocolate milkshakes.  He never did twig to the fact that he could just make them if he brought in the ingredients.....

Amanda

Rachel-K wrote:

And, Amanda-Louise--2nd trimester rocks! (Third trimester, no one was allowed to speak to me unless they were handing me chocolate ice cream.)

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Hey Juliet!  I homeschool too.   Probably the most fun and most enjoyable job I've ever had.

Amanda

Maxjujumom wrote:

I recently quit my job of 12 years to stay home and homeschool my kids, so this will be perfect for some "me" time.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Amanda-Louise wrote:

That's so funny about the chocolate ice cream.  With my second pregnancy (my daughter) my husband was out so many midnights driving the city looking for chocolate milkshakes.  He never did twig to the fact that he could just make them if he brought in the ingredients.....

Amanda

Rachel-K wrote:

And, Amanda-Louise--2nd trimester rocks! (Third trimester, no one was allowed to speak to me unless they were handing me chocolate ice cream.)

Ok I'm going to give away my age, but when I was pregnant with my daughter Peanut Buster Parfaits had just hit the market w/Dairy Queen and my stepdaughter and I would drive up every day and buy one, I couldn't go a day without one. I usually couldn't eat otherwise but for some reason the PBP's went down just fine, today my daughter, stepdaughter and I both enjoy them 31 years later.

Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Margot out in Northern California. If confirmed, this will be my sixth First Look book. I have thoroughly enjoyed each one. This one looks as good as the rest.

One of the things I love about First Look is that it encourages/forces me to read books I might not normally have read. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and Of Bees and Mist are two examples. My life is richer from having read those books. I never would have picked them up at the bookstore. So - thanks First Look.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am Gisela from Northern California, retired and always willing to join another First Look conversation.

I read, I write, I knit, I photograph, I travel, I pull weeds. That sums up my life. As for knitting, last month I finished knitting my 200th teddy bear for the Mother Bear Project (teddy bears for HIV/Aids infected children in Africa and other places) and will resume with bear #201 in September. On Thursday I am going to travel to the Greek Islands and Turkey to take lots of photos of ruins. The weeds will have to wait until I return home.

I'm just learning how to knit.  I've set it as my goal this fall to teach myself or take a class and complete a knitting knitting project.  I've always envied those of you who are so good with your hands.  I learned the basics of knitting when I was in elementary school, so now I want to actually do something besides make an endless, growing swath of wool. LOL  I think this will be a healthy goal for me to accomplish during our cold winters.  Perfect for me and my mother-in-law, I think.

Maybe some day I'll graduate to teddy bears....waaaaaaay in the future.  Something to aspire to! ;-)

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

I am a 31 year old stay at home mother of 2 young sons.  I love to read and some of my favorite authors are Lesley Kagen (also a friend of mine), Sandra Kring, Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffin, James Patterson along with many others.  I am on my 53 book of the year.  I just love books and enjoy being part of discussions about books.  I look forward to getting to know some of you!

That's an interesting idea.  I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year.  I'm going to have to do that.  I wonder how many there would be.  I tend to forget what I've read from time to time.  They all tend to run together after a while.  I'm amazed and impress that you have time to read with 2 little ones at home.  Way to go! You must be very organized and the kids very good! lol

Suzi

Frequent Contributor
reader76
0 Kudos

I am in the teaching field.  Have seen the school supplies in the stores.  Savoring my vacation moments before new school year begins.  Looking forward to reading this book...