Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

This is such a wonderful idea, and one of the fascinating conversations that rises in the community room pretty often. Would be a nice idea for nooks! To keep a timeline spreadsheet of your books read and a few comments to scroll through. 

blkeyesuzi wrote:

suzebomb54 wrote:

That's an interesting idea.  I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year.  I'm going to have to do that.  I wonder how many there would be.  I tend to forget what I've read from time to time.  They all tend to run together after a while.  I'm amazed and impress that you have time to read with 2 little ones at home.  Way to go! You must be very organized and the kids very good! lol

I have kept a log of the books that I have read since about 1996, first in a little notebook and now in an Excel spreadsheet. I never thought when I started the list that I would continue it for so long. But you know what, I just keep reading, so I just keep writing them down. :smileyhappy: It is very interesting to go back and see all the books I have read and to see how my favorite genres have changed over time. (and as I have aged) :smileywink: I highly recommend it!!

Wow!  You ARE Organized!!!!!!! Excel spreadsheets and all! lol  I'm even more impressed than ever!   So....I'm curious, about how many books do you think you've read since 1996?

Contributor
Whiskerbiscuit73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello! I received my confirmation last night and I am so excited, as this is my first FL. I have been reading through all of your introductions and I am glad to meet you all and looking forward to the discussion. I am a stay at home mom- from college aged to kindergarten. I am recovering from brain surgery- it's been about 8 weeks and I know that reading has helped my recovery immeasurably. Can't wait to start reading this book!

~Nicole J.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

blkeyesuzi wrote:

I agree, Johanna. It expands our horizons. I read my first historical fiction at FL.

Cora

That wouldn't happen to be 'Under the Unbroken Sky' would it?  I loved that one.  It's one of my favorite FLs

Under This Unbroken Sky  was my favorite FL too.  When I saw the trailer for The Wake of Forgiveness I immediately thought about Unbroken Sky - it looks like it will be just as raw and gritty.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Correspondent
flouncyninja
0 Kudos

I'm Leslie and I live in Texas, where I spend my time filling up book shelves with books and watching movies from Netflix.  This will be my first first-look book, but my second BN.com book club.  Currently taking part in the Antiphon discussion on the sci-fi board.  I'm normally more of a sci-fi/fantasy/spies fan, but I'm looking to expand outside my comfort zone with this book.

Leslie

Contributor
hollygolitely817
0 Kudos

Hi, all!  My name is Kim and I hail from the great 'ole state of NC!  This is my first first look and my first experience with an online book club.  I'm super excited!  By nature I'm a reader and a writer.  I just graduated with my Master of Science degree in Publishing and am currently looking for a job in editorial.  For right now though, I'm busting it out in retail and spending quite a lot of time with my NOOK.

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

For my book journal, I use a little notebook called a Moleskin. . . it's said Vincent Van Gogh, Henri Matisse, Ernest Hemingway, used a similar book to jot notes, sketches (who really knows if that's true, but it sounds nice).  For me it's perfect. . .it has one expandable inner pocket in the back. . .a bookmark ribbon and an elastic strap that goes around it.  I have one special pen I use only for my book journal.  I keep in my reading area, right by my side.  I really LOVE it. 

I've read there are other brands of similar notebooks with better paper quality, but I haven't had any trouble with this one so far. 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

We are glad to have you and glad that you are feeling better...you are in my thoughts!

Whiskerbiscuit73 wrote:

Hello! I received my confirmation last night and I am so excited, as this is my first FL. I have been reading through all of your introductions and I am glad to meet you all and looking forward to the discussion. I am a stay at home mom- from college aged to kindergarten. I am recovering from brain surgery- it's been about 8 weeks and I know that reading has helped my recovery immeasurably. Can't wait to start reading this book!

~Nicole J.

You are the author of your own life story.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

socalreader wrote:

If I want to reply to a specific message, how do I do that and have the message I'm replying to display on my post?

Thanks,

Susan in So Cal

Hi Susan,

To reply to a specific message and have it above your message, click on REPLY in the lower right hand corner.  When the new dialog box opens up, click on QUOTE in the upper right hand corner.  You should also click on Subscriptions (lower left hand corner) and check the box Email me when someone replies.  After you do this a couple of times, you'll be a pro.  This group is going to be a lot of fun and I'm sure a lot of interesting thoughts will be posted.  I'm waiting for the post that the big brown trucks are being loaded up!

Sheila aka Literature

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Welcome to FL Book Club.  It really is very exciting and I think you'll love it. 

Whiskerbiscuit73 wrote:

~Nicole J.

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Thank you for all of this good information.  And yes, I'm anxiously waiting for the big brown truck post too.  :smileyhappy:

Susan

literature wrote:

socalreader wrote:

If I want to reply to a specific message, how do I do that and have the message I'm replying to display on my post?

Thanks,

Susan in So Cal

Hi Susan,

To reply to a specific message and have it above your message, click on REPLY in the lower right hand corner.  When the new dialog box opens up, click on QUOTE in the upper right hand corner.  You should also click on Subscriptions (lower left hand corner) and check the box Email me when someone replies.  After you do this a couple of times, you'll be a pro.  This group is going to be a lot of fun and I'm sure a lot of interesting thoughts will be posted.  I'm waiting for the post that the big brown trucks are being loaded up!

Sheila aka Literature

~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Reader 2
Anasin

Re: Welcome and Introductions- A Bit about Anasin

[ Edited ]

My name is Angel (Anasin, on this board, which is my middle name and what I prefer to go by).  I am 32 years old and I live in Honolulu, Hawaii, and have for the past eight years.  I am originally from Massachusetts and I definitely miss the "T" (subway system) and the change of seasons especially the autumn foliage.  Hawaii has become near and dear to my heart though, mostly for the community I've found here.

Love is what brought me to Hawaii.  More specifically, my husband of five years now, Daniel.      We have two boys living with us, Avery who is  in the 6th grade and Matthew who is in 8th grade. We also have a Jack Russell Terrier named Ginger.

Until recently, I worked at a local university here in the School of Social Work, and I was also getting my degree in Social Work.  I wanted to work with the terminally ill and bereaved either with Hospice or an organ donor procurement center.  Recently though, I decided to return to school full-time and pursue a degree in English (Writing Concentration), my first love. I am an avid reader and lover of books and the written word. It's a big risk honestly because it's a lot less direction-specific than social work, but it is growth for me to follow my heart and my passion instead of what seems most practical.  I do love to serve others and I am confident that life will offer opportunities for me to do just that, no matter what career I end up in.

I am looking for a community of avid readers and book enthusiasts to contribute to, socialize with, have fun, and learn from.  I believe we are all students and teachers at the same time.  I am happy to have found my way here and look forward to meeting all of you.

With Aloha,

~Ana~

"My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon"
Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

My name is Jen and I am an elementary school teacher in MA.  I love reading and have ever since I could read.  I love the summer because I get to read so much more than I do during the school year.  I have been a part of so many First Looks, this being my seventh I believe.  I love the First Look experience!  I love being able to read the book before anyone else and then discuss it with the author.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying cool, it's been hot here in MA.  I can't wait to get the book and start the discussion.  See you then!

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

DarcyPDX wrote:

Hooray, I'm confirmed.  It took almost a week to get it, so those of you who have been waiting for a few days, don't give up!  I'm really looking forward to getting the book and reading it.

BTW, I'm still trying to get used to the message board posting process.  Hope I'm doing it right and posting my own message and not confusing someone by doing a REPLY to their original message.  :smileywink:

You are doing great!!  if you WANT to quote someone, you'll need to also hit the "quote" button at the top right of the posting box.   

Glad you are IN as well!!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

suzebomb54 wrote:

That's an interesting idea.  I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year.  I'm going to have to do that.  I wonder how many there would be.  I tend to forget what I've read from time to time.  They all tend to run together after a while.  I'm amazed and impress that you have time to read with 2 little ones at home.  Way to go! You must be very organized and the kids very good! lol

I have kept a log of the books that I have read since about 1996, first in a little notebook and now in an Excel spreadsheet. I never thought when I started the list that I would continue it for so long. But you know what, I just keep reading, so I just keep writing them down. :smileyhappy: It is very interesting to go back and see all the books I have read and to see how my favorite genres have changed over time. (and as I have aged) :smileywink: I highly recommend it!!

I have been logging my books on my "my B&N" page.  I made an essential list of books read in 2010.  I have missed some though, so it's not perfect.  In fact, I need to add a few more.    But it is a ready made list. 

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

KLisette wrote:

Hi everyone.  I'm in my late 20s and live in Virginia, although I've lived all over the east coast and midwest thanks to never living anywhere for more than 4 years.  I love to read, and am excited to do another first look book - I haven't done one in years.  Grad school took away anytime of reading for fun, so it's nice to have a little time back on my hands.

Hi and Welcome!!  Grad school does have a way of interfering in reading schedules!!

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Whiskerbiscuit73 wrote:

~Nicole J.

Welcome Nicole!  Wow! you are one busy lady with kids that age range!  Wishes for you in your continued for recovery!!  

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

flouncyninja wrote:

I'm Leslie and I live in Texas, where I spend my time filling up book shelves with books and watching movies from Netflix.  This will be my first first-look book, but my second BN.com book club.  Currently taking part in the Antiphon discussion on the sci-fi board.  I'm normally more of a sci-fi/fantasy/spies fan, but I'm looking to expand outside my comfort zone with this book.

Leslie

Welcome Leslie!  I am reading Antiphon with the sci-fi sneak peek as well.  Just recieved it, so not far into it at all!  It is way out of my usual!

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

hollygolitely817 wrote:

Hi, all!  My name is Kim and I hail from the great 'ole state of NC!  This is my first first look and my first experience with an online book club.  I'm super excited!  By nature I'm a reader and a writer.  I just graduated with my Master of Science degree in Publishing and am currently looking for a job in editorial.  For right now though, I'm busting it out in retail and spending quite a lot of time with my NOOK.

Welcome Kim from another member from the Tarheel state!!  Where are you located?

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22

Re: Welcome and Introductions- A Bit about Anasin

Anasin wrote:

My name is Angel (Anasin, on this board, which is my middle name and what I prefer to go by).  I am 32 years old and I live in Honolulu, Hawaii, and have for the past eight years.  I am originally from Massachusetts and I definitely miss the "T" (subway system) and the change of seasons especially the autumn foliage.  Hawaii has become near and dear to my heart though, mostly for the community I've found here.

Love is what brought me to Hawaii.  More specifically, my husband of five years now, Daniel.      We have two boys living with us, Avery who is  in the 6th grade and Matthew who is in 8th grade. We also have a Jack Russell Terrier named Ginger.

Until recently, I worked at a local university here in the School of Social Work, and I was also getting my degree in Social Work.  I wanted to work with the terminally ill and bereaved either with Hospice or an organ donor procurement center.  Recently though, I decided to return to school full-time and pursue a degree in English (Writing Concentration), my first love. I am an avid reader and lover of books and the written word. It's a big risk honestly because it's a lot less direction-specific than social work, but it is growth for me to follow my heart and my passion instead of what seems most practical.  I do love to serve others and I am confident that life will offer opportunities for me to do just that, no matter what career I end up in.

I am looking for a community of avid readers and book enthusiasts to contribute to, socialize with, have fun, and learn from.  I believe we are all students and teachers at the same time.  I am happy to have found my way here and look forward to meeting all of you.

With Aloha,

~Ana~

Welcome Ana!!  I too grew up in Mass., but south of where the T went!!  I also have a B of Social Work; Am now a Special needs Teachers in NC.  Glad to have you here!

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:

My name is Jen and I am an elementary school teacher in MA.  I love reading and have ever since I could read.  I love the summer because I get to read so much more than I do during the school year.  I have been a part of so many First Looks, this being my seventh I believe.  I love the First Look experience!  I love being able to read the book before anyone else and then discuss it with the author.  I hope everyone is doing well and staying cool, it's been hot here in MA.  I can't wait to get the book and start the discussion.  See you then!

Hi Jen!  I grew up in Mass. and now am in NC- a special needs teacher.  I love these FL books- so many I would have never have picked up many of them otherwise!

-Sir Richard Steele