Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

About the First Look Book Club

Do you have questions about the First Look program? Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.

What is the First Look Book Club?
This is a unique opportunity to enroll in a private discussion with an author, and to talk to other readers about a book that won't be released for a few months. We'll send you an eBook -- for free! -- in time for the book club. In other words, you can be the first to get the scoop on the next great book, long before it ever hits the shelves!

How do I sign up?
Once we have a First Look selection, we'll make an announcement in the B&N Book Clubs, and open the enrollment period. If you are enrolled in one month's First Look Book Club, you're not automatically enrolled in the next one.

Why do I have to provide a credit card?
Our DRM (Digital Rights Management) system uses a credit card to encript your unique copy of the book. YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED.

How do I find out about future First Look selections? Can I enroll right now?
Sorry, there's no pre-enrollment. Stay tuned to our Announcements board for news about our next First Look book club. Along with the announcement, we'll also post instructions on how to enroll.

dhaupt

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Hi Paul, I have a question. I signed up for the B&N e-reader when it first came out and already have books in my library. So I don't know if I used a credit card to enroll or not. But if not, will you still need one, and if so because I'm already enrolled how would I go about doing that.

Thanks

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Paul, I have a question. I signed up for the B&N e-reader when it first came out and already have books in my library. So I don't know if I used a credit card to enroll or not. But if not, will you still need one, and if so because I'm already enrolled how would I go about doing that.

Thanks

Great question Debbie!  I have done the same thing and am now at a loss as to what to do.

Lisa in Georgia

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Thanks

You and Sadie should be okay if you already have a digital locker with books in it.

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I downloaded the E-reader on my computer and I have some free books in it. I never attached a credit card to my ereader but I have ordered regular books from B&N before (the only place to buy books!). Do I need to do anything else with my credit card number or should I be all set to go?

Thanks for the help,

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Thanks

You and Sadie should be okay if you already have a digital locker with books in it.

Thanks Paul

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Checking your BN Account

Just an FYI for anyone wondering:

You can check to see if you have a default credit card entered by clicking on "My Account" up at the top of the BN page (it's underneath "members get free express shipping" and "Welcome, _______" ).  Login using your BN.com account email and password. 

On the next page the second section down is "Account Settings" (the first one is "Orders" ) - "Payment Settings" is all the way on the right.  You can check on your default credit card number (if you've done an order with BN.com by CC you've probably got one stored already) or enter one if necessary.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Re: Checking your BN Account

Melissa_W,

Thanks so much for the clarification! Now it makes sense!

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Will there be an updated eReader app for the iPad?

Goodreads ID: dinib
Contributor
tumbling_block
0 Kudos

HI, I have the Nook - this might be a silly question.....but, where will I find it?  Will it just show up in my library or does go somewhere special????  Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Since I'm not a fast reader, I'm curious as to what the expected turnaround would be.  From the time the ebook is released to the First Lookers, how long of a timeframe do we have to read the book and post our reviews?

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, DiAnneinDover.  We are given the book before the discussion begins and usually spend a month discussing it. We have May 31st to June 25th for the discussion for this one. The discussion is broken down in the "Schedule" post.  :smileyhappy:

DiAnneInDover wrote:

Since I'm not a fast reader, I'm curious as to what the expected turnaround would be.  From the time the ebook is released to the First Lookers, how long of a timeframe do we have to read the book and post our reviews?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
lingling-cat
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm lingling-cat and I have  a default credit card and I have downloaded several free books and bought several eBooks as well as regular books and sample eBooks and sample regular books.  I have signed up for the writing club , the classics, and I am a member of the Mystery club. How will I be notified about  the First Look in these Clubs ? 

Contributor
lingling-cat
0 Kudos

Re:re About the First Look Book Club

This is lingling-cat again. Iforgot to add that I read jjust about everything. My interests  are quite varied and I'm interested in other things and other authors such as those in the health, alternative health, diet,weight loss,... the list continues. Please tell me how to enroll and how I am notifed about a First Look book or discussion .

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Re:re About the First Look Book Club

lingling-cat wrote:

This is lingling-cat again. Iforgot to add that I read jjust about everything. My interests  are quite varied and I'm interested in other things and other authors such as those in the health, alternative health, diet,weight loss,... the list continues. Please tell me how to enroll and how I am notifed about a First Look book or discussion .

Simply send a PM (see the How to Enroll Thread) and you'll be all set.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Re: Re:re About the First Look Book Club

Hi lingling-cat,

As Paul said, you'll need to follow the instructions on the How to Enroll thread to send a PM and get enrolled for the First Look group.

However, this is the only group you will need to formally sign-up to participate.  The other groups - Classics, Writing, Mystery, Literature by Women, etc. - don't require any sort of registration.  You can come and go as you please :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Contributor
tumbling_block
0 Kudos

Once I get the confirmed message - what do I need to do?  How do I find the book?  I have a Nook!  Thanks

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

tumbling_block wrote:

Once I get the confirmed message - what do I need to do?  How do I find the book?  I have a Nook!  Thanks

The book will be placed in your locker within a couple of weeks.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hi tumbling_block,

Paul will let us know when the eARCs have been placed in our digital lockers (he'll probably wait until all the confirmations are done and enrollment is closed).  Then you'll just download to your nook like any other book. 

tumbling_block wrote:

Melissa W.
Contributor
tumbling_block
0 Kudos

Paul and Melissa,

Thank you for helping me - just one more quick question - since I have not done this kind of book club yet - what is the digital locker - I am not familar with that????  I am looking forward to this book club!