Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Re: About the First Look Book Club

The digital locker is your ebooks library on BN.com - access it by going to your My B&N page (it's just under your avatar and about me) or through your BN.com account page (scroll all the way down to the Digital Management section).  Your eReader software or Nook syncs with your digital locker. :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I have a question about international readers. I didn't see a warning that those living outside the US or Canada are not able to download eARCs to nook. I know that books that I have purchased here and that are already placed into the digital locker can be sideloaded to nook (via laptop, USB, and wireless hotspot) since I have an established account here. But what happens to those who want to establish a credit card account from somewhere other than US or Canada at this point just to participate in the First Look group? Will they have access?

I

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Now that we've finished up another FL, what is the projected date for the next one?  Hopefully, this time we will get to "hold" the book.

Thanks.

Literature

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Hi Paul,

Now that we've finished up another FL, what is the projected date for the next one?  Hopefully, this time we will get to "hold" the book.

Thanks.

Literature

We haven't pinned down the next First Look book yet. I'll keep you all posted though.

Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh
0 Kudos

really looking forward to the next one.  Thanks for asking and Paul, thanks for keep us posted!

Frequent Contributor
flamingo
0 Kudos

Are all First Look books now on Nook?  My computer has been out awhile and I have missed the last few books.  Now that I am up and running again was looking forward to reading the latest ARC only to find the discussion is all about Nook.  Personally I would rather touch, hold, & smell the books I read and will be very dissapointed if First Look is exclusively for Nook owners.  Have enjoyed being a First Look member & have read 7 or 8 books.  Please don't forget us readers of the page.

So many books, So little time
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi flamingo aka reader of the page,

Not to worry, Paul announced yesterday that the next FL is with a real "hand-held" book.  That made my day!

Literature

flamingo wrote:

Are all First Look books now on Nook?  My computer has been out awhile and I have missed the last few books.  Now that I am up and running again was looking forward to reading the latest ARC only to find the discussion is all about Nook.  Personally I would rather touch, hold, & smell the books I read and will be very dissapointed if First Look is exclusively for Nook owners.  Have enjoyed being a First Look member & have read 7 or 8 books.  Please don't forget us readers of the page.

Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

That's funny.  I was saddened by the general grumblings I read regarding the digital edition of this book.  I have a Nook and I really enjoyed the digital experience, but it appears I am in the minority.  I am still planning on participating for the next FL, but would like to see it as a multiple format so that I could choose the format I desire.  See you soon!

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh
0 Kudos

what StewiesMom said -- multiple formats would be great!  I really enjoyed reading this on my nook.  :-)

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

I think one of the issues might be that many readers don't have the nook and had to read the book on their computers.  I'm one of those people and chose not to participate this time since I was sure I wouldn't enjoy the reading experience I normally have, by reading on a computer.  Think it would be great to offer various formats but not sure that would be feasible for B&N.

Personally, I believe over time, most books will be available only for eReaders; just think that's the way we're heading.  I do love books. .  .the touch and feel of them, but know it won't be too long before I'll love the feel and convenience of an eReader too. Just have to break down and get one which I'm not ready to do just yet.

For me, I can't wait to see what the next First Look selection is, and get my hands on the ARC.  :smileyhappy: 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

StewiesMom wrote:

That's funny.  I was saddened by the general grumblings I read regarding the digital edition of this book.  I have a Nook and I really enjoyed the digital experience, but it appears I am in the minority.  I am still planning on participating for the next FL, but would like to see it as a multiple format so that I could choose the format I desire.  See you soon!I

I have an iPod Touch, and I love the digital experience. I have so many books on it. I can read anywhere. The IPod Touch has the backlight so I can read it in bed with my husband sleeping. I am sorry so many people don't like the idea. I think it is such a new experience that many people are reluctant to give it a chance. 
Change is always scary and hard books are wonderful things. But they do accumulate.  I will be moving and the greatest sorrow of moving is figuring out what books to kee, and which ones to give away.  There is no such dilemma with the iPod.  Viva la difference!!