Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am just about to finish The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  Then I am going to read Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts.  I know, completely and thoroughly differnt books.  I feel like I need something a lot lighter and much happier after TGWTDT, though.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Melissa,

I'm into the last short story of Alice Munro's "Runaway" on my nook.

I love her writing... it's scrubbed and unadorned as a wooden table, and yet... contains knots of great complexity and beauty.

When I read her short stories on my nook, somehow the stories seemed larger... as large as novels... she squeezed so much into each 40-page short story.

I hope more readers check out her stories! And join the discussion this month in Literature by Women.

Melissa_W wrote:

I'm reading Runaway on my nook!

Come to Literature by Women...we have

See full size image

Alice Munro!

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Amanda, I've been with the FL since the beginning and I just love it.  I will admit that I wanted an e-reader and finding out that our latest selection out be only in the e-reader format pushed me to get it organized for myself!  This will be my first book on my new e-reader.  So exciting for me.

I just finished The Mystery of Lewis Carroll and I'm going to read Cosmicomics while waiting for the FL book.

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

My name is Tina, and I'm from PA.  I've  just signed up for this and also hope to be confirmed.  I LOVE reading on my Nook!  Currently I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire and Brava, Valentine.

Inspired Contributor
tweezle
0 Kudos

Hi Paul!

It's great to be involved with another First Look. The book choice looks fantastic.

Currently, I'm reading Kristen Heitzmann's "Indivisible". I'm only 3 chapters in, and it looks like it's going to be a good read.

Theresa

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” - Mason Cooley
**3 NOOKS with 3 separate accounts in one household.**
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Debbie:

That is a bummer to have to wait 5 years for another one from one of your favorite authors!

I like her writing too, so I'm glad I won't have to wait that long to read her again!

Eadie

dhaupt wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm currently reading 

Change of Heart 

for the General Fiction book club

Eadie - I'm glad you're enjoying Erin, she is one of my go-to authors, but she made me wait almost five years from her last novel. I hope she doesn't do that again.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I'll be interested to hear how you like "The Girl Who Chased the Moon." I love Sarah A. Allen's writing and this one is on my TBR list.  :smileyhappy:

GadgetgirlKS wrote:

I recently finished Reliable Wife and House Rules. I am currently reading Sarah's Key, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, and When a Crocodile Eats the Sun. I am also listening to The Help on my iPod.

Sarah's Key  

The Girl Who Chased the Moon 

When a Crocodile Eats the Sun  

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Hi all!  I am Lisa from NC.  I am reading  "Change of Heart"  by Jodi Piccoult.  

Looking forward to this new way of reading.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Hello again All my Old Friends and those that I am about to be acquainted with.

First of all, I have never read a book through an e-reader nor on a computer, so this is going to be a new experience for me.  I'm not sure if I am going to like reading without the feel of a book in my hands, but First Look has given me so many opportunities to expand my reading horizons, I am willing to try it out. 

Currently I am reading "The Man From Saigon", by Marti Leimbach.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

I'm very disappointed that this is an e-book only. After so many great ARC selections I had hoped that Barnes and Noble would continue, but it looks like they might be moving in a new direction. It's a shame. I can't get in to reading books on my computer nor do I have any interest in an electronic reader. I like my books the way they've been produced for centuries. Guess this will give me an opportunity to not get distracted from my growing TBR list.

I just can't help but feel that it is unfair to those of us who have been faithful participants of the FL process for years. But maybe that's just me, it seems everyone else is excited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I'll be reading

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #10)  as soon as it comes in the mail!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I'm very disappointed that this is an e-book only. After so many great ARC selections I had hoped that Barnes and Noble would continue, but it looks like they might be moving in a new direction. It's a shame. I can't get in to reading books on my computer nor do I have any interest in an electronic reader. I like my books the way they've been produced for centuries. Guess this will give me an opportunity to not get distracted from my growing TBR list.

I just can't help but feel that it is unfair to those of us who have been faithful participants of the FL process for years. But maybe that's just me, it seems everyone else is excited.

I don't necessarily feel that having a digital First Look is unfair, but I would definitely be disappointed if the FL program becomes entirely digital. I have had an e-reader for about 15 months now (so, no, not a nook), and while I *love* my ereader for a number of purposes (to be able to pull up a related book to the one we're discussing instantly in class, to be able to search for passages much more effectively, to take a bunch of books on vacation without paying overages for heavy luggage, and to read long ebooks (I read a lot of Star Wars fiction, and they have been releasing a series called Lost Tribe of the Sith for free but only on ereaders), .pdfs, and .docs without printing them out or reading them on a computer screen), if it comes down to reading a book in print and reading it on my ereader, I will normally choose to read it in print (partially for the feel, partially because I worry the files will become obsolete or corrupted or both, and partially for the annotation abilities that the pen has--although kindle 2 has gotten much better about taking notes on a text). Also, I go to the beach twice a year, and I would never take my expensive e-reader out on the sand, where it might get gritty or wet.

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

I'll be reading Charlaine Harris - Dead In The Family. I think because I live on the west coast I may even be able to download it on my Nook at 9:01 PM PST since I pre-ordered it. I was that lucky last week with J.R Ward's Lover Mine. I finished that on Thursday of last week.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed "The Help." I hope you do too.  :smileyhappy:

Thayer wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I am currently reading  

The Help 

Paul,

Can you tell us when we may expect our downloads to be sent?   Thanks again, this one looks great.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I love my NOOK!!!!  The ease of having  a new book, so quickly, is  fantastic.  I love being able to download a sample just to make sure I want to read the book.  I have gotten samples just out of curiosity, only to find they are some of my (new) favorites, (for example: Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt!)

I do still buy the occasional "traditional" book.....:smileyvery-happy:

Right now I am reading The Kitchen House (on my nook) but have Savor the Moment (the third in Nora Roberts bride quartet, have the other two paperbooks, need to finish the set...lol)

Also a great book I recently finished... Wench.  Not something I would have normally read, but I am so glad I did,  Everyone I have passed it onto has also loved this book!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Nobody said that this was the end of the physical First Look Book Club.

Contributor
Breezy000
0 Kudos

I am currently reading cathedral by the sea by Ildelfonso Falcones.

:smileyhappy:  Alicia

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I just finished

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet 

Great book!!!

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Contributor
jillian_lee
0 Kudos

I also enjoyed "The Help!" It was one of the first books I read on my nook!

---
Jillian

"To thine own self be true." - William Shakespeare
Contributor
jillian_lee
0 Kudos

---
Jillian

"To thine own self be true." - William Shakespeare