Contributor
skrupp
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

hope to be confirmed for the writing circle.  I LOVE my nook.  it is a great way to have many books to choose from without having three shelves filled or my nightstand over flowing and having my husband complain about all the books.  Currently I am reading The Man from Beijing and two or three free books on the nook.  Love all the choices on the nook.

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

nlsamson wrote:

I love my NOOK!!!!  The ease of having  a new book, so quickly, is  fantastic.  I love being able to download a sample just to make sure I want to read the book.  I have gotten samples just out of curiosity, only to find they are some of my (new) favorites, (for example: Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt!)

I do still buy the occasional "traditional" book.....:smileyvery-happy:

Right now I am reading The Kitchen House (on my nook) but have Savor the Moment (the third in Nora Roberts bride quartet, have the other two paperbooks, need to finish the set...lol)

Also a great book I recently finished... Wench.  Not something I would have normally read, but I am so glad I did,  Everyone I have passed it onto has also loved this book!

Nancy,

It seems we have more than just our love for NOLA in common...I too read and enjoyed Wench, as well as the Nora Roberts "bride quartet" series (plan to download the latest onto my laptop).

Have you read The Help? I am reading it now and it is really good. I think you might enjoy it as well.

Glad you are joining this First Look as well.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Correspondent
JoanieGranola

krb2g wrote:

I'll be reading

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #10)  as soon as it comes in the mail!

I can't wait to read this book -- I read all 9 Sookie's consecutively when I bought them last year. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but this book is one on the May discussions. I'm still hemming and hawing about whether or not to buy the ebook, but I'm sure I'll have it by the end of the week.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

nikki824 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I am considering buying a nook but I am so use to the old fashion way of reading---BOOKS.

There is nothing better than having a book in your hand where you can write or highlight something that you enjoy or find interesting. But it seem as though e-readers are the new thing so I was wondering if someone can try and convince me to buy a nook considering that the next FLB selection is digital.

Thanks!

Let me start off by saying Welcome to this new FL! I am an avid reader who has bookshelves full of hardcovers and paperbacks. However, when the nook came out I couldn't think of anything else. My husband bought me one for Christmas and I immediately purchased the Jonathan Adler cover for it. Because the cover is protective and opens just like a book spine, reading the nook feels just like reading a "real" book! I go through fits and bursts when reading, but I've read far more books in a 3 month period than I ever have before, because it's just so easy to start a new book after finishing one when you've got them all at your fingertips digitally. If you've been seriously considering a nook, I'd say bite the bullet and make the purchase (but also buy a cover -- it's worth the cost) -- you won't regret it.

P.S. - ever since I got my nook I've been bugging Paul as to when there will be a digital FL. I finally got my wish!  :smileyhappy:

Lisa

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am Dawn from Tennessee. I am excited about this First Look since it is the inaugural digital version.  I am still contemplating a Nook purchase and a couple of weeks ago I downloaded the free e-reader from B & N.

I must confess I am enjoying the convenience of downloading the books and having so many choices available on my laptop at all times. It truly is great when travelling. I think I definitely see a Nook purchase in my near future.   :smileyvery-happy:    I just wonder if the Nook is easy to navigate. Any of you who have one please give your feedback.

This story looks as if it will be a fun one to get into.  Oh and yes, it will be great not to have the anxiety of watching for the UPS driver.   Can't wait to begin!

You may get many replies to this, but the nook is extremely easy to navigate. You can turn pages (in reading mode, not in the Library) by swiping the LCD screen or using the back or foward buttons that appear on each side of the device. You can sort books alphabetically by author or title, you can side-load books and sort the same way, and you can use the "go to" feature when you're in a book. I've never had a problem with mine and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like is the Look Up word feature - I thought it would be great, but it's not. And that particular feature isn't as easy to navigate, and I've stopped using it altogether.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

skrupp wrote:

hope to be confirmed for the writing circle.  I LOVE my nook.  it is a great way to have many books to choose from without having three shelves filled or my nightstand over flowing and having my husband complain about all the books.  Currently I am reading The Man from Beijing and two or three free books on the nook.  Love all the choices on the nook.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about The Man from Beijing. I finished that book a few weeks ago. I was so enthralled with Steig Larssen's "The Girl ..." series that I decided to give a chance to another Swedish author.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

krb2g wrote:

I'll be reading

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #10)  as soon as it comes in the mail!

I can't wait to read this book -- I read all 9 Sookie's consecutively when I bought them last year. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but this book is one on the May discussions. I'm still hemming and hawing about whether or not to buy the ebook, but I'm sure I'll have it by the end of the week.

That sounds like my experience with these books: I started reading them and watching True Blood at the same time (around the end of last summer). I had them on hold at the library, but the lines were so long for each book, that I caved and bought the first two, and after that, all the rest in quick succession. I've had this one on preorder since March, and I'm really hoping that it ships today and comes in by the weekend.

Have you read her other series? After the Sookie books, I like the Harper Connolly ones best, then the Lily Bard stories, then Aurora Teagarden.

Thanks for letting me know about the discussion; I think I had read that on the announcements post and then promptly forgot!

Best,

Katie

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Nook/E-reader

What's your favorite thing about your nook/e-books? What additional features would you like to see? Has your device changed the way you read books?

I happen to like my [e-reader] for the ability to read books that I wouldn't spend the money to buy a print edition of but that I'd prefer not to read on the computer (yes, I am the girl who once printed out copies of random James Fenimore Cooper novels from Project Gutenburg and then had them bound at Kinko's). I am actually really happy with having a dedicated e-reader (as opposed to having a phone with an app or reading on my laptop) because the screen technology is great for books/simply typeset things, but not so much for webpages. It also helps keep me from distraction (when I'm doing things on my computer, frankly, the temptation is to keep checking my email or the boards at BN.com). My e-reader has made it much easier, also, to read things that have been produced by me and my friends: for example, NaNoWriMo novels, or a friend's undergraduate thesis.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Donna I know you didn't ask me but I read it and loved it, here's a link to my review on my blog.

love her writing also and she didn't disappoint me.

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-of-girl-who-chased-moon.html?spref=fb

DSaff wrote:

I'll be interested to hear how you like "The Girl Who Chased the Moon." I love Sarah A. Allen's writing and this one is on my TBR list.  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

Hi all!  I am Lisa from NC.  I am reading  "Change of Heart"  by Jodi Piccoult.  

Looking forward to this new way of reading.

Lisa, we're discussing this book over at the Fiction General book club. Join us. Here's a link

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/bd-p/FictGeneral

Contributor
jillian_lee
0 Kudos

I'm the same way! I have all of the other books in paper copy, so now it's the dilemna of whether or not to buy the next book in paperback or ebook...ahh, technology!

---
Jillian

"To thine own self be true." - William Shakespeare
Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I also have several Series I started before my NOOK and have to decide whether to switch to ebooks or not.  You would think the decision would be an easy one but for me it has not been so.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

nikki824, I have a nook and a Kindle and I love both of them. Originally, I was going to sell the Kindle, but there is still things on there to read. The nook, I bought it in March and love it. It takes some time to get started but your can read from it and change font styles, choose your wallpaper and screensaver. Buy the nook; it's easy to download a book and cheaper in most cases.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

maxcat, where do you get your wallpapers and screensavers from? I need a change there, something fun for wallpaper. Thanks Luanne

maxcat wrote:

nikki824, I have a nook and a Kindle and I love both of them. Originally, I was going to sell the Kindle, but there is still things on there to read. The nook, I bought it in March and love it. It takes some time to get started but your can read from it and change font styles, choose your wallpaper and screensaver. Buy the nook; it's easy to download a book and cheaper in most cases.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Hey, pen, you have an option of 3 wallpapers on the nook and a few screensavers. But the one I have is the Alice in Wonderland screensaver. I think you can download pictures on the nook but I'm not sure.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Scribe
DSaff

Debbie, I love to hear everyone's opinions on books, so thank you for the link to your blog! What a wonderful review.  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

Donna I know you didn't ask me but I read it and loved it, here's a link to my review on my blog.

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-of-girl-who-chased-moon.html?spref=fb

DSaff wrote:

I'll be interested to hear how you like "The Girl Who Chased the Moon." I love Sarah A. Allen's writing and this one is on my TBR list.  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Debbie, I love to hear everyone's opinions on books, so thank you for the link to your blog! What a wonderful review.  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Thank You Donna !!

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Yay!!  I just got the e-mail from Paul that I'm confirmed.  I'm way too excited about my first digital bookl. 

Can't wait to get started - thanks Paul!

Amanda

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

maxcat, where do you get your wallpapers and screensavers from? I need a change there, something fun for wallpaper. Thanks Luanne

maxcat wrote:

nook-look.com !!!!!!!

But recently I have been changing my wallpaper and screensaver to the cover of the current book I am reading.  SO currently my background looks like:

Angelology

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. I will check it out.

JdiennoPSU wrote:

pen21 wrote:

maxcat wrote:

nook-look.com !!!!!!!

But recently I have been changing my wallpaper and screensaver to the cover of the current book I am reading.  SO currently my background looks like:

Angelology