Frequent Contributor
blue2280
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Sherry_Young wrote:

I loved both Guernsey and Sarah's Key! I'm a sucker for WWII era fiction, though. Did you read The Postmistress by Sarah Black with First Look?

I have been wanting to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. What did you think of it?

I too love WWII era anything...fiction or nonfiction. The Postmistress was actually my first, First Look read and I liked that one as well! There are a couple of books that I have on my reading list, The Welsh Girl and The Skeletons at the Feast, that are that era too. Have you read any of those?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was good, very very slow to start though. It took me a couple of times to really get into it. I would pick it up and put it back down, but once I finally got past the beginning, it picked up the pace and got a lot better. I will continue to read that trilogy :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

blue2280 wrote:

I too love WWII era anything...fiction or nonfiction. The Postmistress was actually my first, First Look read and I liked that one as well! There are a couple of books that I have on my reading list, The Welsh Girl and The Skeletons at the Feast, that are that era too. Have you read any of those?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was good, very very slow to start though. It took me a couple of times to really get into it. I would pick it up and put it back down, but once I finally got past the beginning, it picked up the pace and got a lot better. I will continue to read that trilogy :smileyhappy:

Hi blue, if you like WWll fiction you might try Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden and Debra Dean's The Madonnas of Leningrad both give a Russian point of view of the war. And speaking of the Millenium trilogy I was fortunate to join funds with a few of my friend at work and we bought a copy from a UK bookseller and already read it. It in my opinion was the best of the three.

Have a great day.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Sherry_Young wrote:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Please feel free to chat here.

What's everybody reading?

Good morning, Paul!

I am currently reading The Heights by Peter Hedges after recently meeting him at a Book & Author event in Indianapolis. Elizabeth Berg was also one of the authors at the event and I just finished her latest book The Last Time I Saw You.

What are you currently reading, Paul?

Just finished Hampton Sides' "Hellhound on His Trail". Incredible!

Frequent Contributor
blue2280
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi blue, if you like WWll fiction you might try Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden and Debra Dean's The Madonnas of Leningrad both give a Russian point of view of the war. And speaking of the Millenium trilogy I was fortunate to join funds with a few of my friend at work and we bought a copy from a UK bookseller and already read it. It in my opinion was the best of the three.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the tip....I will definitely look into those! :smileyhappy:

I have the 2nd book in the trilogy in paperback, but have preordered the third on my Nook, in which it will be released while I am on vacation...so perfect timing if I can get the 2nd one finished first but we will see! So many books...so little time!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

New York by Edward Rutherfurd (from Welcomes and Introductions)

I'm responding to a post from the Welcomes and Introductions thread here:

nymazz wrote:

Sherry,

I just purchased New York by Edward Rutherfurd, how was it?

Any info is appreciated.

Sherry_Young wrote:

Greeting fellow book lovers!

The Writing Circle will be my 4th First Look selection to read/discuss. I began last fall with The Postmistress and enjoyed the experience immensely. When the next First Look selection was announced, I told a couple of friends about it. The result was not only that they participated in the next First Look, but also in the creation of our own local book club. Thank you B&N First Look!

We have discussed:

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society -Mary Ann Shaffer/Annie Barrows

New York - Edward Rutherfurd

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Eternal on the Water - Joseph Monninger - yet to discuss with group

Would love to hear what you think on these or any reading recommendations for our group!

Can't wait to discuss The Writing Circle with all of you!

I really liked

New York: I thought it was generally well-done. Rutherfurd's style is very similar to that of James Michener. I am not familiar with the city personally, though, so knowing the places might make someone like it more or less. Here's my review from when I read it: This book presents a long view of the history of New York by telling parts of the stories of several fictional families. I learned a lot about the city and a lot about various parts of history. I thought the book was especially good on the colonial period, the Revolutionary War, and the Civil War draft riots. While the city remains the main character, I thought the book spent too much time on upper class characters generally--they tended to be better developed and to occupy a greater part of narrative time. All in all, a book well worth the read.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Hi, MidgeFrazel, my husband would be interested in that as he has been emailing back and forth from someone in his family who found out how his Dad and uncles came over from Hungary to the USA. Apparently, they landed in Canada, not at Ellis Island. My folks came from Russia(Minsk) over through Ellis Island. My grandfather was German but somehow, he managed to to get to Minsk and work there and save some money. He met my grandmother somehow in a village near the Polish border at which time it was White Russia, not communistic.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Paul has said that the digital download will be available in 2 weeks. So keep posted.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Nook/E-reader

You mention the ability to read books that you wouldn't buy -  the new feature (that was promised when nook was first advertised) that lets you read ebooks free for an hour a day per book is now one of my favorite ones. I often walk to my local B&N store in the afternoon to have coffee and a scone and now I can read through books I am hesitant to buy. But even the free download of a chapter at home is great.

I still haven't tried the free software "calibre" (discussions about that are on the nook boards) to convert other files into epub files, but have downloaded many free books from B&N - almost all google books - and have enough to read for some time.

I didn't think I would like the browser but once I bookmarked the proper websites - the ones that are scaled down for small screens - I love to look up things. http://cantoni.mobi    is stripped of graphic detail because it is geared toward iphones etc.

krb2g wrote:

What's your favorite thing about your nook/e-books? What additional features would you like to see? Has your device changed the way you read books?

I happen to like my [e-reader] for the ability to read books that I wouldn't spend the money to buy a print edition of but that I'd prefer not to read on the computer (yes, I am the girl who once printed out copies of random James Fenimore Cooper novels from Project Gutenburg and then had them bound at Kinko's). I am actually really happy with having a dedicated e-reader (as opposed to having a phone with an app or reading on my laptop) because the screen technology is great for books/simply typeset things, but not so much for webpages. It also helps keep me from distraction (when I'm doing things on my computer, frankly, the temptation is to keep checking my email or the boards at BN.com). My e-reader has made it much easier, also, to read things that have been produced by me and my friends: for example, NaNoWriMo novels, or a friend's undergraduate thesis.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hey, pen, you have an option of 3 wallpapers on the nook and a few screensavers. But the one I have is the Alice in Wonderland screensaver. I think you can download pictures on the nook but I'm not sure.

I've loaded several wallpaper pictures and screen saver photos from my computer to nook via USB cable. There are plenty of people who make interesting wallpaper on one of the nook boards. If you search for "wallpaper" on the general nook board I think you will get lots of ideas. The important thing is that there are strong lines and good tonal differences on your photos and that they are of the proper size otherwise nook cuts them off. I resize and turn my photos to black and white before I load them to nook.

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Wow!  Everyone is REALLY making me want a nook now! Am pinching pennies as we speak...just wish we could at least use our B & N membership discount.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

thank you  =)

StewiesMom wrote:

Donna,

If you liked SAA's other two titles, you'll no doubt enjoy this one also.  I finished listening to it last week and it was quite enjoyable.  It was as different and as similar as Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen were to each other.  Did that even make sense?  What I am trying to say is that SAA's distinct "voice" is here, along with her mystical, magical style.

DSaff wrote:

I'll be interested to hear how you like "The Girl Who Chased the Moon." I love Sarah A. Allen's writing and this one is on my TBR list.  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

We have one =)

I never thought I would say this, but we have a Nook! It is a combined Mother's/Father's Day gift and is charging right now. As Mike and I have been reading all of your comments, we realized that we wanted the total experience. Lo and behold, we now can! (very thankful for those who made it possible) We still love our physical books and will continue to want that experience most of the time. This is simply an addition to our collection. Now, how are we going to share it during this book discussion! <grin>

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: We have one =)

Congratulations, Donna. You'll love it.  I guess you'll have to flip a coin each day to see who gets to read on nook and who has to use phone, laptop, or desktop? And who has to use bookmarks to find the last page he/she has read?

DSaff wrote:

I never thought I would say this, but we have a Nook! It is a combined Mother's/Father's Day gift and is charging right now. As Mike and I have been reading all of your comments, we realized that we wanted the total experience. Lo and behold, we now can! (very thankful for those who made it possible) We still love our physical books and will continue to want that experience most of the time. This is simply an addition to our collection. Now, how are we going to share it during this book discussion! <grin>

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

We are usually pretty good about sharing, but...... <grin> We will definitely take turns so the experience is real for both of us. :smileyhappy:

Sunltcloud wrote:

Congratulations, Donna. You'll love it.  I guess you'll have to flip a coin each day to see who gets to read on nook and who has to use phone, laptop, or desktop? And who has to use bookmarks to find the last page he/she has read?

DSaff wrote:

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Congratualtions Donna & Mike... and given that we live so close, maybe I can finally use the "lend me" feature.  lol

No one I know has a nook to share books with!!

ENJOY!!!!!

DSaff wrote:

We are usually pretty good about sharing, but...... <grin> We will definitely take turns so the experience is real for both of us. :smileyhappy:

Sunltcloud wrote:

DSaff wrote:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

That sounds great! I am looking forward to figuring this thing out (just did the upgrade and found the games) and then read something. We will have to chat more about sharing books!

nlsamson wrote:

Congratualtions Donna & Mike... and given that we live so close, maybe I can finally use the "lend me" feature.  lol

No one I know has a nook to share books with!!

ENJOY!!!!!

DSaff wrote:

Sunltcloud wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms and to all the women who are important in our lives.

pen21

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

midgefrazel wrote:

After buying a case, a reading light and designing a custom gelaskin, I decided to get cracking buying books!

I have finished Shutter Island, 2 Jesse Stone books by the late Robert Parker and 2 in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency (including the new one) plus a couple free books. I love the freebie on Friday.

As I am a professional genealogist, I am reading the companion book to the TV series, "Who Do You Think You Are?" I recommend this for anyone who wants to get involved in researching their family history.

Midge Frazel

http://www.midgefrazel.net

Hi Midge Frazel,,After reading your post,I must post that Dan Waddell is here "On "Mystery"the thread heading is "International Crime.".Leighton Gage and his Posse".Dan as you probably know wrote"Who do you think you Are"British "version I believe..His Mystery crime novels include of course,a Genealogist..Their blog is amazing 'Mystery is Everywhere" and you can visit Dan on danwaddell.com .Dan is around today and I am sure he would love to hear from .He is also on twitter..interesting ..Hope you get to visit with him here......Just post on that thread to him,and he will surely get it  Susan Vtc.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Pen so Thoughtful..I miss all of you..maybe next time...Its not the same for me wihout FirstLook..Miss you..Susan Vtc...Enjoy  BTW any New Englanders here,and I know of a few..Corinne will be all over New England promoting her book..her website has it all...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
babzilla41

blue2280 wrote:

Sherry_Young wrote:

I loved both Guernsey and Sarah's Key! I'm a sucker for WWII era fiction, though. Did you read The Postmistress by Sarah Black with First Look?

I have been wanting to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. What did you think of it?

Hi blue:  I just read a review for The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer - sounds like something you might be interested in.  I too love WWII era novels.  Check it out!

The Invisible Bridge 

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom