Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: We have one =)

I like it. I have downloaded some books, some free and some I bought, and started reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." It is fun to read outside on a windy day and not lose my place! It is also nice that it holds a charge for a long time.  Enjoy your!

Sherry_Young wrote:

I must admit that I just bought a Nook tonight! I didn't get it just b/c of the next FL, but these posts have convinced me that I will enjoy it!

How do you like yours, Donna, now that it's charged and ready?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Glad you like yours, Dstaff, as you will have many hours of reading books you want to read. I do have free books on my Nook and take advantage of "free Fridays". I have bought a couple of books and have a magazine subscription to The New Yorker. I like that magazine as it's entertaining.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

To Mothers of all types

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! May it be filled with love, joy, and happiness.  =)

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Contributor
beckalou
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

pen21 wrote:

I just finished Promise Not to Tell. very good book.

And I just started a free book on the nook called The Dragon Keeper. I am really enjoying the writing in this one. pen21

Dragon Keeper Free Edition with Bonus Material

I just downloaded that last night I am gonna give it a try after I finsh The Sculpter.

Contributor
joybo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone - Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there - hope you had a lot of time to put your feet up and read.

My husband has been reading George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series... I see him read them over and over again - and he kept telling me I had to read them. Well, I had tried a year or more ago and just couldn't get hooked enough to get even to the halfway point of the first one. Now since the kids are a bit older, and I"m finding more time to read - and SOOOOO loving my nook..I gave it a try again. So I've already finished

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)

and I'm currently reading

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2)

proud owner of the Nook - never thought I could live without my REAL book in my hands...pleasantly surprised!!
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Glad you like yours, Dstaff, as you will have many hours of reading books you want to read. I do have free books on my Nook and take advantage of "free Fridays". I have bought a couple of books and have a magazine subscription to The New Yorker. I like that magazine as it's entertaining.

Are Free Friday's only for nook owners, or anyone with the ereader software?

I have the Itouch and use it for reading. I would like the have a nook but will have

to wait a while. Can you tell me more about free fridays?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Free Fridays are posted on the "Unbound" blog: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-and-BN-eReader-Blog/bg-p/Unbound

You can search for free ebooks by putting "0.00" in the search box.  You will find thousands of them.  :smileyhappy:  You can also find a few hundred listed in the Free eBooks section of the eBook section of the site. 

They all work on any B&N eReader software as well as the NOOK.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

There is a discussion of this book over on the Fantasy and Science Fiction Board. I put the link below. I plan on adding my thoughts after I finish the book. There is a sequel to this book that just came out. pen21

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/FEBRUARY-FEATURE-2-Dragon-Keeper-by-R...

beckalou wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I just finished Promise Not to Tell. very good book.

And I just started a free book on the nook called The Dragon Keeper. I am really enjoying the writing in this one. pen21

Dragon Keeper Free Edition with Bonus Material

I just downloaded that last night I am gonna give it a try after I finsh The Sculpter.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I have the same free book on my Nook. I'll have to give a try after finishing the Tale of Halcyon Crane.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hannibalcat, I think the "free Fridays" are for Nooks. I don't know if your iTouch will take free books from B&N.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

maxcat wrote:

Hannibalcat, I think the "free Fridays" are for Nooks. I don't know if your iTouch will take free books from B&N.

They work on the B&N eReader software and will work on any devices that support it.

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

I am reading Wrecked by Carol Higgins Clark.  This week I'm also going to start Shanghai Girls by Lisa See for my RL book club.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Happy Monday everyone.

I hope all you moms out there had a wonderful day.

My daughter, light of my life graduated with her Masters on Saturday and then she took my mom and I out to lunch yesterday.

I have now officially told everyone in my family to stop with the gifts and pool their funds cause I want a Nook ;-)

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: New York by Edward Rutherfurd (from Welcomes and Introductions)

Hi Sherry,

I will definitely get to read New York this year.  As long as NYC's history is still fresh in your mind, and if you have the time, read Forever by Pete Hamill.  It's a fast read and goes through the history of NYC (lower Manhattan) without all the Revolutionary War events, it's told through the eyes of the characters.  Right after I read Forever, B&N offered a discussion class in their BNU (Barnes and Noble University) of the history of NY.  That was a lot of work.  The class was conducted by a professor and I think he thought we were (physically) in his classroom.  Gave a lot of reading for the discussion questions but it was so interesting.  The book, which you had to buy, must have been around 900 pages.  The book remains as one of my prized possessions and I still read the different stories/essays in it.  My goal is to read the whole book when I retire (and the light is getting brighter and brighter).

Thanks for your response.

Sheila aka Literature

Sherry_Young wrote:

Literature,

Since you have lived in NYC, I think you will definitely appreciate the novel. I do recommend you find some time to read it when you can sit for a long time to read it and not just trying to read a chapter here or there.

Our book club had this selected (why, because we were insane?!?) and several didn't finish it. Many had difficulty getting through the early Dutch period. I found that the beginning did move slow for me as well, but I was determined to finish the book. I found that some sections are slower to read because you are starting to get to know new characters or don't care for a character. There might be eras in NY's history that you find more intrigueing than others. It does span a time period of hundred of years taking you up through last decade.

I hope you find time and enjoy it. After I had finished and absorbed it all, I found that I was truly glad I had read it!

Sherry

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Congratulations, Deb! What a great weekend! And, I bet you get a Nook soon.  =)

dhaupt wrote:

Happy Monday everyone.

I hope all you moms out there had a wonderful day.

My daughter, light of my life graduated with her Masters on Saturday and then she took my mom and I out to lunch yesterday.

I have now officially told everyone in my family to stop with the gifts and pool their funds cause I want a Nook ;-)

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

I discovered one of the big advantages of owning a nook a few weeks ago.  One of my friends loaned me Pillars of the Earth.  I brought the book home.  I looked at this 1000 page novel knowing that I would have to lug this around for a while.  Then I decided to splurge.  I spent $6 and downloaded it to my nook which I can slip in my purse.  I also wouldn't have to fret about getting it read and back to my friend within a certain time.  (I did enjoy this book very much)

I have quite a few free downloads and downloads for under $5.  It makes me feel like I've got a real bargain.  Plus I've discovered new authors.

Bonnie

Contributor
beckalou
0 Kudos

I agree Bonnie I figured the investment of the Nook would pay for itself eventually. Love the free downloads and the cheap ones as well. I also tend to read books that have over 1000 pages and the Nook makes it easier to carry around. One advantage for me is that I no longer flip to the end of the book to see how it ends ( I did that alot).

Bonnie_C wrote:

I discovered one of the big advantages of owning a nook a few weeks ago.  One of my friends loaned me Pillars of the Earth.  I brought the book home.  I looked at this 1000 page novel knowing that I would have to lug this around for a while.  Then I decided to splurge.  I spent $6 and downloaded it to my nook which I can slip in my purse.  I also wouldn't have to fret about getting it read and back to my friend within a certain time.  (I did enjoy this book very much)

I have quite a few free downloads and downloads for under $5.  It makes me feel like I've got a real bargain.  Plus I've discovered new authors.

Bonnie

Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh
0 Kudos

I just have to add one of the bonuses of owning a Nook (aside from this book club and free Fridays) are the special offers and coupons that arrive in the Daily.

For May, a free 7-layer bar at the store's coffee shop!  I mean what could be better than a good book, a cup of coffee, and a free 7 layer bar! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
jenno0108
0 Kudos

pen21,

I really enjoyed this book. It was the first I read by Lisa See, but I will read more of them. Thanks for the link!!! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Cynthiaoh, Idon't pay that much attention to the daily. With coupons for the coffee shop, maybe I'll start to read the daily more often.