Frequent Contributor
Cycling_Chef
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I'm reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA by Michael Pollan. I thought it would be a book I would read here and there since it is non-fiction, but Pollan's writing is so wonderful I can hardly put the book down! Corn and Nitrogen are interesting characters in Pollan's able hands.

Contributor
midgefrazel
0 Kudos

Who Do You Think You Are?  This book is the hottest title in family history right now. I recommend it for anyone interested in researching their ancestors.

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

Donna  I see you bought the NOOK,  I like what you had to say about the windy day,  I hope you enjoy it.   

"  Donna  I like it. I have downloaded some books, some free and some I bought, and started reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." It is fun to read outside on a windy day and not lose my place! It is also nice that it holds a charge for a long time.  Enjoy your!"

Beth

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I have been reading the Lumby books by Gain Fraser, they are a fast fun read.  I really enjoy the characters and can't wait to see what they get into next.  

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

I have been reading the Lumby books by Gail Fraser, they are a fast fun read.  I really enjoy the characters and can't wait to see what they get into next.  Spell Check

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I haven't seen any offers in the Daily. Are then in the articles?

I was at a Barnes and Noble tonight.

I loved sitting and reading a book I was interested in.

I might read some more in that book next time.

I really like that option, but then I have several stores close to me.

pen21

cynthiaoh wrote:

I just have to add one of the bonuses of owning a Nook (aside from this book club and free Fridays) are the special offers and coupons that arrive in the Daily.

For May, a free 7-layer bar at the store's coffee shop!  I mean what could be better than a good book, a cup of coffee, and a free 7 layer bar! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Cycling_Chef wrote:

I'm reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA by Michael Pollan. I thought it would be a book I would read here and there since it is non-fiction, but Pollan's writing is so wonderful I can hardly put the book down! Corn and Nitrogen are interesting characters in Pollan's able hands.

I really liked The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.

I read it several years ago. I keep thinking I need to check out his newer works but haven't done so yet. I have a sagging bookshelf with unread books and several on the Nook, too. In this one, the apple, potato, marijuana and tulips are the characters. I think the apple segment is my favorite.

Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh

When I was in the store, the offer came right up in my daily at the bottom of the page.  I don't have wi-fi at home, so I can't find it right now -- Sorry!

However, here is the information:

bar.JPGThe May In-Store Experience – Good Reads and Tasty Treats

Bring your NOOK into Barnes & Noble stores to access exclusive stories, articles, offers and savings including exclusive essays from Damon Wayans and Alexander McCall Smith. 

While reading, enjoy these NOOK In Store offers:

A Free Seven Layer Bar offer at participating B&N Cafés* and $1off a copy of People StyleWatch Magazine**

And don’t forget – with the 1.3 NOOK update you can Read In Store – read eBooks in our eBookstore for up to one hour free!

*Show your NOOK and the coupon to your Café server. Valid for one Free 7 Layer Bar at participating B&N Cafés.  Offer valid through May 31, 2010.

**This coupon entitles customer to purchase one (1) copy of People Style Watch Magazine at $1 off the Newsstand Price while supplies last.  Offer valid through May 20, 2010.

pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you. I will be there again at the end of the week.

I did see the essays and the People StyleWatch Magazine offer.

I will look closer. I must have missed it.

Plus I can read more in the book I started tonight at Barnes and Noble.

pen21

cynthiaoh wrote:

When I was in the store, the offer came right up in my daily at the bottom of the page.  I don't have wi-fi at home, so I can't find it right now -- Sorry!

However, here is the information:

bar.JPGThe May In-Store Experience – Good Reads and Tasty Treats

Bring your NOOK into Barnes & Noble stores to access exclusive stories, articles, offers and savings including exclusive essays from Damon Wayans and Alexander McCall Smith. 

While reading, enjoy these NOOK In Store offers:

A Free Seven Layer Bar offer at participating B&N Cafés* and $1off a copy of People StyleWatch Magazine**

And don’t forget – with the 1.3 NOOK update you can Read In Store – read eBooks in our eBookstore for up to one hour free!

*Show your NOOK and the coupon to your Café server. Valid for one Free 7 Layer Bar at participating B&N Cafés.  Offer valid through May 31, 2010.

**This coupon entitles customer to purchase one (1) copy of People Style Watch Magazine at $1 off the Newsstand Price while supplies last.  Offer valid through May 20, 2010.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I am enjoying the Nook while continuing to read my regular books. It is funny that we have had quite a few windy days since we got it, and it works really well for that.  LOL  I have also learned how to add my own wallpaper, etc. We will be going to our B&N for the Wednesday night Nook session for help. I really like that B&N offers so much support!!

BethAnnH wrote:

Donna  I see you bought the NOOK,  I like what you had to say about the windy day,  I hope you enjoy it.   

"  Donna  I like it. I have downloaded some books, some free and some I bought, and started reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." It is fun to read outside on a windy day and not lose my place! It is also nice that it holds a charge for a long time.  Enjoy your!"

Beth

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I am enjoying the Nook while continuing to read my regular books. It is funny that we have had quite a few windy days since we got it, and it works really well for that.  LOL  I have also learned how to add my own wallpaper, etc. We will be going to our B&N for the Wednesday night Nook session for help. I really like that B&N offers so much support!!

BethAnnH wrote:

Beth

Donna, that's great that they offer a session for help. Let us know how informative it is.

I think you're converting a few here to blast forth into new technology. ;-)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished PJ Tracy's latest Monkeywrench mystery

Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench Series #5) 

and I've just started my ARC of Shannon McKenna's new book for my review on Library Journal.

pen21
0 Kudos

Deb,

Out of the books written so far in the series, how would you rate this one.

I have the book, but it is next in line for me to read.

Luanne

dhaupt wrote:

and I've just started my ARC of Shannon McKenna's new book for my review on Library Journal.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Deb,

Out of the books written so far in the series, how would you rate this one.

I have the book, but it is next in line for me to read.

Luanne

dhaupt wrote:

See I knew we were separated at birth Luanne.

It was really good, it started slow but really picked up after a few chapters.

I've started a new thread on the Mystery board because I have some questions about it. Can't wait until you finish it and let me know what you think. I think my favorite in the series was the one where the evil doers poisoned that whole town, remember how really spooky that one was. Ugh the hair on my neck is standing on end just thinking about it.

I'll be posting a review on my blog later today.

pen21
0 Kudos

Donna,

Congratulations to you and your husband on the nook. I received mine as a Christmas/Birthday gift this year. I love it. I still read real books too, but love all that I can put on the nook. I have read new authors and books I normally wouldn't have picked because of the nook. The nook is great for outside. It is easy to take to work and have with me for all my errands. Now that I have wifi, I can surf the web, get email. And I am a Sudoku addict, so that was a plus.

I second Deb, please let us know what tips you pick up. I will check my store to see if they are doing a class for the nook.

Now if the nook would clean the house, I would love it more than my kids.

Luanne

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Amen to that.... I love my Nook and didn't know there were classes for it. Maybe our store doesn't do them. And thanks to whoever dropped the word about the seven layer bar. I don't have wi-fi at home either and will have to go to the store to get the message.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

maxcat,

The seven-layer bar coupon will only appear when you're using the B&N wifi - the "more in store" coupons are on the first page of the "shop" after your nook senses you're on a B&N hotspot, just arrow down until the big coupon graphic is highlighted and page forward/backward to get the coupon you want.

As for a "nook night" tell the booksellers (the CRM if there is one) that you would be interested in something like that - the more customers that do, the more likely a store is to have one.

maxcat wrote:

Amen to that.... I love my Nook and didn't know there were classes for it. Maybe our store doesn't do them. And thanks to whoever dropped the word about the seven layer bar. I don't have wi-fi at home either and will have to go to the store to get the message.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

A Nook that cleans house. I LOVE IT! More time to read. LOL

pen21 wrote:

Donna,

Congratulations to you and your husband on the nook. I received mine as a Christmas/Birthday gift this year. I love it. I still read real books too, but love all that I can put on the nook. I have read new authors and books I normally wouldn't have picked because of the nook. The nook is great for outside. It is easy to take to work and have with me for all my errands. Now that I have wifi, I can surf the web, get email. And I am a Sudoku addict, so that was a plus.

I second Deb, please let us know what tips you pick up. I will check my store to see if they are doing a class for the nook.

Now if the nook would clean the house, I would love it more than my kids.

Luanne

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Nook Tips at B&N stores

For those of you who are interested in seeing what B&N has to offer for Nook help, here is the posting for my local B&N. (I have it in My B&N as my preferred store.) Maybe yours will have something similar.

nook at Night

Conversation Group
Drop in every Wednesday evening at 7:00 pm to our nook at Night Club where one of our nook experts will facilitate nook information to you. This is an excellent way to ask questions and hear stories from other nook customers.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tips at B&N stores

I GOT ONE!!! A Nook that is. I am super excited and I love it already. Just trying to acclimmate myself to all the cool features and get comfortable with it. Already have downloading down pat haha.  Have like 20 books already-most of which have been free or below $5.00.

Now I just want to try to get some pics for wallpaper-not sure how that process works. Haven't gotten a cover yet. Anyone have any advice?  And I love that B & N offers coupons while in store. Haven't taken mine yet-our nearest B & N is like 40 minutes away. I actually bought my Nook at BestBuy.

Can't wait for our ebooks to appear in our lockers!

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.