Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thanks Paul! I trust you. I know you will solve the problem. In the meantime I "patiently" check my nook every half hour for "The Writing Circle," my account every two hours to see if it still is there,  and this board as often as I can to make sure I didn't miss anything. :smileyhappy:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

rujama wrote:

I can't download the book :smileysad: first I got an email saying that I was confirmed then 2 days ago I received an email saying that I didn't have an account with B&N or a credit card connected to it. I have both so I'm not sure what is going on. I've been downloading ebooks to my Nook since Feb. and never had a problem. I'm bummed that I might miss out on this book club. 

Happy Reading everyone. 

We're still working on getting the few who have not received their books the download. Please be patient.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Please!!! Everybody!!!

I know that everybody is usually anxious to get going once the book is available. But it would be nice if no previews of any aspects of the book were revealed until Rachel has opened it up for discussion and has given us threads to follow and answer. Some of us read according to schedule and are disappointed when we see it discussed already.

Thanks for your understanding.

Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

Secrets of Eden looks really intriguing.  I'll have to add that to my TBR list.

DiniB wrote:

Just finished last night night:

The Help 

And started:

House Rules 

And in the queue afterwards:

Secrets of Eden 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

StewiesMom wrote:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who saw the Nook back as a great way to get autographs!  I got Christopher Moore's autograph last month and have decided I'll keep having him add to it at each subsequent signing.:smileyhappy:

OMG, I'm so glad I found someone else who doesn't think it's nuts.  (Over on the nook board, I asked a question about nook and signings and basically got "That's the one time I'll shell out for a DTB..." as the response.)  My nook now has one signature on its back, and the cover I have has an autograph on its inside cover and as of last night Chely Wright's on the back of the cover.  I admit I did splurge on a copy of the book because it is incredibly amazing, and there are so many parallels in our stories (minus the music part) it's kinda scary.  She signed that AND the back of my nook cover.  The guy putting the books/cds/etc. on the signing table chuckled as he handed it to her and said "And technology enters the picture..."  Everyone was amused.  :smileytongue:  (I can't, however, say if ALL B&Ns will count an e-copy of the book as "buying the book". It was not a problem at Union Square that I only had the e-copy, but the Jen Lancaster event was not super crowded relatively speaking.  Last night I had a hard copy, so it wasn't a question I needed to stress over.)

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Deb. The actual discussion hasn't started yet, but when it does on the 31st, Rachel will post discussion questions for us. All we ask is that if you read ahead of schedule, that you are careful to only comment on the area we are discussing that week, adding "Spoiler Alert" to the Subject line if there is more information.  :smileyhappy:

ma_book_lover wrote:

Hi All! I started the book this week, The Writing Circle. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm finding it to be a fairly slow read. I'm having a hard time getting into any of the characters. They aren't clicking for me. What do you think?

Since I'm new to all of this....is there somewhere else I should be posting this stuff?

Thanks!
Deb

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
ma_book_lover
0 Kudos

Oops! Sorry! I'm new to this, so I didn't realize that I was posting ahead of schedule. Will keep all thoughts about the book to myself until discussion begins. 

Frequent Contributor
camibones
0 Kudos

Glad to know I'm not the only one having problems connecting to these characters. The writing is fine, and there's nothing wrong with the story, but I'm finding that I just don't care what happens to these people. I'm hoping that will change as I get further in.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

No problem! We all get excited about the new books.  :smileyhappy:

ma_book_lover wrote:

Oops! Sorry! I'm new to this, so I didn't realize that I was posting ahead of schedule. Will keep all thoughts about the book to myself until discussion begins. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Sunny,

Zia, Joanie, and StewiesMom were talking about The Handmaid's Tale which they've recently read/are reading (it's a favorite of mine, too) - but in regards to The Writing Circle it would be lovely if people could withhold all comments, particlarly as some participants are still working through technical glitches.

Sunltcloud wrote:

Please!!! Everybody!!!

I know that everybody is usually anxious to get going once the book is available. But it would be nice if no previews of any aspects of the book were revealed until Rachel has opened it up for discussion and has given us threads to follow and answer. Some of us read according to schedule and are disappointed when we see it discussed already.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
rujama
0 Kudos

I'm so excited I finally got The Writing Circle in my elocker!!! I just started reading it today and am really excited to share what everyone thinks about this book. I love book discussions! Sorry for all the excitement but I am really happy that I found this book club. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa and sorry Zia, Joanie, and SterwiesMom. That'll teach me to read posts on my netbook's tiny screen without seeing the quote.

Melissa_W wrote:

Sunny,

Zia, Joanie, and StewiesMom were talking about The Handmaid's Tale which they've recently read/are reading (it's a favorite of mine, too) - but in regards to The Writing Circle it would be lovely if people could withhold all comments, particlarly as some participants are still working through technical glitches.

Sunltcloud wrote:

Please!!! Everybody!!!

Contributor
midgefrazel
0 Kudos

Discussion Posting

I think it would be a really good idea if there was a note about the pre-posting of topics for discussion in the folder that is provided for "schedules and updates".

Most people here might (like me) be new to an online book club. I admit that I was expecting a "reading guide" for this unpublished book (in PDF format) to be released along with this preview.

As a tech person, I read that "update" folder each time I come here.

I am fascinated by people's reactions to the idea of reading electronically as I have been doing so for a number of years.

Midge Frazel

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Re: B & N membership

I wonder if the B&N membership discount will ever appy to ebook purchases?

I have been a member for years (and have saved a bunch) but now with my Nook, I am primarily buying ebooks, so I wonder if it is advantageous to keep my membership active.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer

Re: download gliches

PAUL AND HIS STAFF DESERVE A RAISE!!! 

I, too, have received my download after a strange problem with my email addy not being recognized.

Paul, thanks for your patience and diligence. Please pass along my appreciation to your support/technical staff as well. And most especially to your wife who by this time, I expect, is VERY tired of hearing about First Look.   :smileywink:

Let the reading begin!  

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thayer wrote:

I have been a member for years (and have saved a bunch) but now with my Nook, I am primarily buying ebooks, so I wonder if it is advantageous to keep my membership active.

The store clerks are definitely hearing that it's having an impact.  Thursday night, I was getting a hard copy of Chely Wright's book to have signed, and the girl ringing me up reminded me that my membership expires at the end of the month and asked if I wanted to renew.  I thanked her, but said I hadn't decided yet since I had a nook.  And she nodded and said "Yeah...we're hearing that a lot..."  Whether it's going to do any good or fall on deaf ears that people aren't renewing because of the nook and the lack of advantages it give us or not is yet to be seen, but they are definitely hearing that it's causing people to rethink.

Also, it occurs to me that there's not really an incentive for people who haven't decided yet to renew as there isn't a differential in price between renewals and new memberships.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
DeviousVixen
0 Kudos

Hello Akifyre!

I read Shutter Island about a month ago.  I absolutely loved it.  Although those are generally the kinds of books I read.  It also might have made a difference that I saw the movie first.  If you haven't seen the movie yet, I suggest that you do as soon as you can.  It is really good!

"Everything in the Universe denies nothing; to suggest an ending is the one absurdity."--The Man in Black (The Gunslinger-Dark Tower Series by Stephen King)
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

violetangel wrote:

Thayer wrote:

The store clerks are definitely hearing that it's having an impact.  Thursday night, I was getting a hard copy of Chely Wright's book to have signed, and the girl ringing me up reminded me that my membership expires at the end of the month and asked if I wanted to renew.  I thanked her, but said I hadn't decided yet since I had a nook.  And she nodded and said "Yeah...we're hearing that a lot..."  Whether it's going to do any good or fall on deaf ears that people aren't renewing because of the nook and the lack of advantages it give us or not is yet to be seen, but they are definitely hearing that it's causing people to rethink.

Also, it occurs to me that there's not really an incentive for people who haven't decided yet to renew as there isn't a differential in price between renewals and new memberships.

I too am trying to decide whether to renew my B&N membership and I don't have a Nook.  Now that we don't get a discount on on-line purchases I don't know if the $25 membership fee is worth it.  The free shipping is a nice perk but don't know if it justifies the expense.....

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Books I am reading

[ Edited ]

I just finished these 2 books. Both very good.

Ghost Sudoku (Sudoku Mystery Series #5)

Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench Series #5)

And I am about halfway through John Sanford's new book. Sanford really delivers so far in this book.

Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport Series #20)

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Re: Books I am reading

I'm not sure if anyone else is reading this, but I am almost through The Scent of Rain and Lightning. and I have to say it is fantastic!!!!!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Babzilla, I myself would renew because there are some books out there that I want to read but they are not in ebook format. They may eventually but I feel impulsive enough to buy the book right then and there in store. You also get discounts in the cafe which helps. I have a Nook too but I checked out a book and found it wasn't in ebook format. I went online and ordered it for half the price of the book. The book is"Haunt me Still by Jennifer Lee Carrell.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost