Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I did read some more on the pandigital ereader. It doesn't say anything about e-ink display or battery life. It will support ePub and assorted formats. Guess when it comes out, I'll check it out.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Violetangel.... You aren't the only one having a hard time with this book. Too many characters, too many subplots, so much that I have to write about each character and keep up with them. I'm plodding along and hoping that something will turn this book around for me. Right now, it's totally confusing!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I did read some more on the pandigital ereader. It doesn't say anything about e-ink display or battery life. It will support ePub and assorted formats. Guess when it comes out, I'll check it out.

Thanks maxcat for posting about The Pandigital on Mystery..I posted it,and I checked PC Magazine online  They had an article..Thanks Again Miss B&B Mimosa Owner....Suze

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

Re: what are you reading

"Right now I am reading Rooms.  If you liked The Shack you may want to give

Rooms a try.  Best of all it is available to download free at B&N!"

Thanks for the recommendation for Rooms. I would love to read it and went to BN.com to get it, and it's not free anymore. Did you have to be in a BN store to get it free?

Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Violetangel.... You aren't the only one having a hard time with this book. Too many characters, too many subplots, so much that I have to write about each character and keep up with them. I'm plodding along and hoping that something will turn this book around for me. Right now, it's totally confusing!

Keep reading. :smileyhappy: I thought I was going to have a hard time keeping up, which is really annoying, but I think Corrinne did a great job with their personalities and descriptions and I eventually followed along and felt like I got to know the characters pretty well, actually.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The Pandigital screen will be an LCD, not eInk.

babzilla41 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

I am looking forward to getting a Nook for my birthday. I am reading TWC on my iphone which is a lot smaller than a Nook. One thing I like about the iphone is that I can download audio books thru itunes and listen to them on the ipod app and I can also read books thru the Barnes and Noble eReader too.

My question is: Does the Nook have capability for audio books and would that ever be an option in the future?

Hi eadie..I was reading your post,I am reading TWC on my Blackberry,and contemplating a nook.Yesterday I saw a post about a new ereader,similar to the ipad,which will be offered by BN.along with the BN ereader already on there....Its Called the PanDigital ereader.I also read that June 1st,BN will be selling them..This was all in PCMagazine online.They will be 199...Its worth a look at,if it interests you..I am excited...Many app's are already downloaded..Just a thought....Susan Vtc...Of course I trust PCmagazine..Just doing more research on my own  Please visit Mystery..The Thread is Called Mimosa Cafe,or Party Central..we just are around giving Virtual Parties...And Discussing Books of course  ;  )Open Invitation to Everyone...

just wondering...will the PanDigital have e-ink display?  I like the idea that on the Nook you can read outside as though you were reading inside (no glare)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa..That helps in the decision making.Susan Vtc

Melissa_W wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

I am looking forward to getting a Nook for my birthday. I am reading TWC on my iphone which is a lot smaller than a Nook. One thing I like about the iphone is that I can download audio books thru itunes and listen to them on the ipod app and I can also read books thru the Barnes and Noble eReader too.

My question is: Does the Nook have capability for audio books and would that ever be an option in the future?

Hi eadie..I was reading your post,I am reading TWC on my Blackberry,and contemplating a nook.Yesterday I saw a post about a new ereader,similar to the ipad,which will be offered by BN.along with the BN ereader already on there....Its Called the PanDigital ereader.I also read that June 1st,BN will be selling them..This was all in PCMagazine online.They will be 199...Its worth a look at,if it interests you..I am excited...Many app's are already downloaded..Just a thought....Susan Vtc...Of course I trust PCmagazine..Just doing more research on my own  Please visit Mystery..The Thread is Called Mimosa Cafe,or Party Central..we just are around giving Virtual Parties...And Discussing Books of course  ;  )Open Invitation to Everyone...

just wondering...will the PanDigital have e-ink display?  I like the idea that on the Nook you can read outside as though you were reading inside (no glare)

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi maxcat..While I was reading TWC,I wasn't sure where Corinne was going with the book as well.The preface kept coming back to me....It started to come together and now(and I also jotted down a few things)it's still in the early stage of development,but getting clearer.So take your time,PM me later on,I will be at work till six..if you have any questions..I do believe that as the story progresses,you will see it all come together.I am thinking A Mystery"is in TWC..Take your time..Nobody is rushing you. Suze.aka Susan Vtc...

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thanks Melissa..That helps in the decision making.Susan Vtc

Melissa_W wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

For me - I would like to have an electronic device similar to my iphone but with an ereader that would be a larger screen than the iphone. It cannot be too big though because I would still like to use the device as a phone and would like to be able to carry it in my pocket like my iphone. Probably, I am asking for something impossible. I was thinking about an ipad but I have since changed my mind because the ipad is not really a computer. It is bigger than an iphone and easier to read but it's too big to carry in your pocket. I do like the nook but don't like that I have to carry two devices (iphone and nook) when my iphone already has an ereader (which as I stated before needs to be a bigger screen). Hope I have not confused this issue but I'm sure there will be a solution to my problem soon as the technology is changing daily. I will have to check out the pandigital as that device sounds interesting!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

maxcat wrote:

Hi maxcat..While I was reading TWC,I wasn't sure where Corinne was going with the book as well.The preface kept coming back to me....It started to come together and now(and I also jotted down a few things)it's still in the early stage of development,but getting clearer.So take your time,PM me later on,I will be at work till six..if you have any questions..I do believe that as the story progresses,you will see it all come together.I am thinking A Mystery"is in TWC..Take your time..Nobody is rushing you. Suze.aka Susan Vtc...

I enjoy watching a group of people interact and develop and I think this book is very interesting. You just have to keep the players straight in your mind in the beginning and then sit back and watch. Very fascinating to me!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

For me - I would like to have an electronic device similar to my iphone but with an ereader that would be a larger screen than the iphone. It cannot be too big though because I would still like to use the device as a phone and would like to be able to carry it in my pocket like my iphone. Probably, I am asking for something impossible. I was thinking about an ipad but I have since changed my mind because the ipad is not really a computer. It is bigger than an iphone and easier to read but it's too big to carry in your pocket. I do like the nook but don't like that I have to carry two devices (iphone and nook) when my iphone already has an ereader (which as I stated before needs to be a bigger screen). Hope I have not confused this issue but I'm sure there will be a solution to my problem soon as the technology is changing daily. I will have to check out the pandigital as that device sounds interesting!

For me, I'm happy to have multiple devices. I still have an old school cell phone (although I'm tempted by the access to email/the internet that smart phones provide), and I'd rather have dedicated devices that do what I really want/need to do well, rather than an all-in-one that's cumbersome. For example, I really enjoy photography. I get the convenience of a cell-phone camera, but if I'm going somewhere where I want good pictures, I will happily carry my SLR (with the extra lens, and a dedicated video camera in the case), rather than rely on my cell phone. Similarly, if I want to read a book, I either carry the book, or my kindle, which is much better for reading than my computer if it's any length at all. (I read a lot of .pdf articles as I'm in grad school, and I love putting them on my kindle and reading them rather than wasting the paper to print them (obviously I keep copies on my computer for reference) or straining my neck/eyes reading at the computer for long periods. My old-fashioned (heh) iPod works just fine without wireless connectivity, etc. I'd rather have the extra storage space than the bells and whistles. 

Obviously, though, manufacturers keep trying to make one device that will do it all, so I'm probably in a minority. 

For what it's worth, my original kindle died a few months ago, and as I was considering replacements, I thought about getting an iPad but decided not to because I really like the e-ink technology and my laptop's still holding up fairly well. (I also thought about the nook, but decided to go with a brand that's had more time to work out the kinks and with which I've had more experience).

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Being a rather old person ( 71:smileyvery-happy:) I love the eink screens of my nook and Kindle.

First of all because they don't give me the eye strain I get after three or four hours on my computer every day.

Secondly I am glad about the adjustable font size.

Third reason I prefer reading on a dedicated ereader is the fact that I can take either one with me to the lake for lunch - I ride a trike for exercise and enjoyment - and sit in bright light and still see the screen.

Number four: (nook only) when I go to Barnes & Noble (several times a week) there is always something new to discover; right now I am reading a book that I didn't want to buy. Occasionally there is a free cookie. Or a code to redeem later, at home.

Fifth reason: and this goes for all ereaders including the LCD screen systems; I am not going to have to build another book shelf for some time. I still buy photography books and those with heavy graphic content, and books I can't resist on the spot, or those (mostly falling into a particular time span - too new to be in the public domain and too old to be carried by the store, but available online from other book stores) I can't get as ebooks.

There is a sixth reason why ereaders are preferrable, but I can't yet tell if it is a good enough reason. "They" say that we are saving trees and that is true. But what is the price we are paying? There is no satisfactory answer yet as to the effects of inventing/building/using electronic devices in such immense numbers. More trees, more global connectivity, less personal next door neighbor involvement? We don't have evidence to pronounce the electronic age as "the wonderful age of erasing hunger and poverty." I just saw in the news that a Chinese factory has installed safety nets on the staircases of their dorms, because a number of young men have commited suicide. Seventy hour work weeks and very low income, not to speak of the way they are treated, possibly take away their wills to live.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts this morning. I love to read and knit at the same time; I am happy to combine the click click (more of a dull clck clck - I am using bamboo needles)  of my knitting needles with the swipe swipe of my nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Those of you who are interested in "Free Friday" ebooks, go to Paul's ebook blog "Unbound" and "read all about it." I was a bit late, but found the latest one still available.

"The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker" by Leanna Renee Hieber.

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I hope you enjoy The Art of Racing in The Rain as much as I did.  I finished it in our employee lounge at work, crying like a baby, and I really didn't care!!! :smileywink:

Can't wait to hear what you think!!

See_Jane_Read wrote:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Please feel free to chat here.

What's everybody reading?

I just finished

The Art of Racing in the Rain 

I didn't intend to read two dog books in a row, it just sort of worked out that way.  I enjoyed The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, but I was pretty disappointed in the ending...

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Re: Books I am reading

I don't remember how I found Water for Elephants, but that was the first book I had read in quite a while, that just took me away. ( I had a rough 18 months, lost two sisters and a grandfather, hard time focusing on anything) When my oldest daughter gave me that book for Christmas, I rememeber opening it, just to "check it out" and catching myself quite absorbed, with a houseful of company....lol  What a fantastic read! 

Sherry_Young wrote:

I keep looking at The Scent of Rain and Lightning, but I keep telling myself to wait and buy it on my Nook after I've finished some other books on my list (1 of which is Prayers for Sale). I'm so glad you enjoyed both!

Thank goodness for B&N Recommends! I have found some wonderful books that I might never have considered. I found Water For Elephants that way!

nlsamson wrote:

I finished The Scent of Rain and Lightning today at lunch, I loved it.  I had loved Prayers for Sale, and still consider that one of my favorite books ever, and although this book has nothing in common with that (other than being one of the Barnes & Noble recommends picks) it too has now become one of my favorites.  Let me know what you think if you decide

to read it......

maxcat wrote:

The Scent of Rain and lightning intrigued me. Let me know how you what you thought of it when you are finished.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Contributor
See_Jane_Read
0 Kudos

nlsamson, I just finished it a few minutes ago and I really did enjoy it!  It was a quick read and it takes you through all the basic emotions, sadness, anger (I mean seriously, how awful were his in-laws!) and humor (Enzo's episode with the legal papers...need I say more?).  One thing I can say for sure is that The Art of Racing in the Rain was exactly what I needed after reading after the disappointing ending of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

nlsamson wrote:

I hope you enjoy The Art of Racing in The Rain as much as I did.  I finished it in our employee lounge at work, crying like a baby, and I really didn't care!!! :smileywink:

Can't wait to hear what you think!!

See_Jane_Read wrote:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Please feel free to chat here.

What's everybody reading?

I just finished

The Art of Racing in the Rain 

I didn't intend to read two dog books in a row, it just sort of worked out that way.  I enjoyed The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, but I was pretty disappointed in the ending...

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

A Hoe Lot of Trouble (Nina Quinn Series #1)

Caught

I am now reading a book in Heather Webber's garden series. Heather's writing is a delight. The stories are a mystery and she makes the story fun.

I finished Caught. Coben wrote another great thriller.

pen21

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Pen21 - and everyone else interested in the genre of Kim Harrison.  I just finished her 3rd in The Hollows series; Every Which Way But Dead.  On to #4 - A Fistful of Charms as we wait for the discussion to being on the first 88 pages of The Writing Circle.

Every Which Way But Dead (Rachel Morgan Series #3) 

A Fistful of Charms (Rachel Morgan Series #4)  

John S.

Contributor
Suetj
0 Kudos

I originally started electronically reading by purchasing a Kindle awhile back.  So this makes me soooooooo excited to actually be included in an e book club!!  I love the touch and feel of a paperbook but this advanced technology for reading books adds a whole new dimension.  I have been reading  aslo from my Blackberry cellphone with the BN Reader and cannot wait to get into The Writing Circle selection.  I also downloaded it on my computer.  Thanks BN for such convenience and access to this wonderful world of e reading!!

Contributor
Suetj
0 Kudos

I ahve recently been reading some of the classics through BNs ereader.  Pride and Prejudice they offered free so I downloaded it and love it.  We just bought my daighter The Nook also  and she has not put it down since opening it up for her 17th Birthday!!