Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I just finished Promise Not to Tell. very good book.

And I just started a free book on the nook called The Dragon Keeper. I am really enjoying the writing in this one. pen21

Dragon Keeper Free Edition with Bonus Material

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am Dawn from Tennessee. I am excited about this First Look since it is the inaugural digital version.  I am still contemplating a Nook purchase and a couple of weeks ago I downloaded the free e-reader from B & N.

I must confess I am enjoying the convenience of downloading the books and having so many choices available on my laptop at all times. It truly is great when travelling. I think I definitely see a Nook purchase in my near future.   :smileyvery-happy:    I just wonder if the Nook is easy to navigate. Any of you who have one please give your feedback.

This story looks as if it will be a fun one to get into.  Oh and yes, it will be great not to have the anxiety of watching for the UPS driver.   Can't wait to begin!

You may get many replies to this, but the nook is extremely easy to navigate. You can turn pages (in reading mode, not in the Library) by swiping the LCD screen or using the back or foward buttons that appear on each side of the device. You can sort books alphabetically by author or title, you can side-load books and sort the same way, and you can use the "go to" feature when you're in a book. I've never had a problem with mine and I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like is the Look Up word feature - I thought it would be great, but it's not. And that particular feature isn't as easy to navigate, and I've stopped using it altogether.

Thanks for the info. Have you had any problems with downloads? It seems that everyone who has posted has nothing but positive things to say about their Nooks. 

I really like the ease of downloading books onto my laptop, but it is not very convenient to always read from.  I find, much to my husband's chagrin, that I am purchasing more books via download...It is so much easier to monitor spending when you are in store lugging around a stack of books. No such hassle with e books-they are weightless  :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone know whether or not you may download to more than one location when you purchase an e book? For example, once purchased could I put the download on my laptop and Nook?

Just wondering.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Have a technical question - recently when reading posts whenever I go back to a thread it brings me to the first post of the thread - used to bring me to where I left off.  Is that a setting I need to fix?  With so many posts to read it's difficult to wade through them all over and over again.

Thanks for any help!

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Babzilla.  "Message Listing" should bring you back to the place you left off reading (especially useful when you are reading new posts on pages you have read previously) within a particular topic. "Next Topic" and "Previous Topic" will take you to the beginning of that choice. Maybe that is the button you are selecting. I use "Message Listing" all the way through now.  :smileyhappy:

babzilla41 wrote:

Have a technical question - recently when reading posts whenever I go back to a thread it brings me to the first post of the thread - used to bring me to where I left off.  Is that a setting I need to fix?  With so many posts to read it's difficult to wade through them all over and over again.

Thanks for any help!

b

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Chaita

[ Edited ]

Hey, everyone.  I just found this site today and I'm excited to participate!  I hope I get accepted.  Thayer, you can access the e-books you download from B&N in multiple platforms.  I forgot my nook today but was able to read my book on my i-phone.  You just have to download the nook program onto your computer, i-phone, whatever and log-in.  You should then be able to see all the e-books in your online library.  I don't think you can do this with books you download from somewhere else.

Pen21, I've been using photographs as screensavers.  There's always plenty of those for me not to get bored :smileyhappy:  I've downloaded some of me and my husband, some of my cat, etc.  I have 6 or 7 on there right now and it uses a different photo every time it goes to sleep.  When you hook the nook up to your computer, you can just copy and paste the photos into the screensaver folder.

As for what I'm reading, currently it's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon.  It took me a while to get into it but I'm liking it now.  I see several of you are reading or have read "The Help" so I might add that to my to-read list.  How do you add the photo of the book cover and link to your post?

Thanks!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

When you're replying to a post and want to add a product link and cover click "Add Product" in the reply box toolbar.  A pop-up window will appear with a search function similar to the one for the rest of the BN.com site.  Once you find what you're looking for either click "Add Link" or "Add Link and Image".  Then click "Done".  The cover and link will appear in your post. :smileyhappy:

Chaita wrote:

Hey, everyone.  I just found this site today and I'm excited to participate!  I hope I get accepted.  Thayer, you can access the e-books you download from B&N in multiple platforms.  I forgot my nook today but was able to read my book on my i-phone.  You just have to download the nook program onto your computer, i-phone, whatever and log-in.  You should then be able to see all the e-books in your online library.  I don't think you can do this with books you download from somewhere else.

Pen21, I've been using photographs as screensavers.  There's always plenty of those for me not to get bored :smileyhappy:  I've downloaded some of me and my husband, some of my cat, etc.  I have 6 or 7 on there right now and it uses a different photo every time it goes to sleep.  When you hook the nook up to your computer, you can just copy and paste the photos into the screensaver folder.

As for what I'm reading, currently it's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon.  It took me a while to get into it but I'm liking it now.  I see several of you are reading or have read "The Help" so I might add that to my to-read list.  How do you add the photo of the book cover and link to your post?

Thanks!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Well I got my confirmation.  Let the fun begin.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Hi Barb, I'm Cathy from southern Massachusetts. How do you like Matterhorn? I have it, but have not read it yet. It's next on my tbr list.

pen21
0 Kudos

Chaita,

Photographs would be fun. I hadn't thought of that.

I have been so busy reading on the nook that I haven't played with many other features.

Thanks pen21

Reader 4
Akifyre
0 Kudos

Heya! I am currently trying to read through Shutter Island and the Handmaidens Tale. Both are outside my usual genre's so they are much more a serious read for me. I tend to be naughty and slip back into my favorites which hold my interest much more. Such as I read Joust by Mercedes Lackey yesterday. I am a voracious reader but I do have trouble staying focused on novels outside my preferences. I have read the Handmaiden's tale previously several times however and it is an interesting story. But I honestly expected Shutter Island to have more of a creepy atmosphere then I am experiencing so it is not holding my attention.
A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step.
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Dawn:

I have read The Help, and yes, it was fantastic.  Another one I have downloaded a sample of is The Known World. I seem to have a theme going.  :smileywink: (that was one in Oprah's magazine)

I'm enjoying the third in the Bride Quartet,  I also really enjoyed Every Last One,by Anna Quindlan.  I hadn't read anything by her since Black & Blue.(which was also very enjoyable.)

(oh and the other thing with the Nook, it now has Sudoku, which I love! and chess, on it!!)

Thayer wrote:

Nancy,

It seems we have more than just our love for NOLA in common...I too read and enjoyed Wench, as well as the Nora Roberts "bride quartet" series (plan to download the latest onto my laptop).

Have you read The Help? I am reading it now and it is really good. I think you might enjoy it as well.

Glad you are joining this First Look as well.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Chiata. In order to add a book cover to your reply, click on "Add Product."  It is in the line of options just above this window. That brings up a small search screen where you can type in the name of the book and then add the image to your post. You can add as many as you want. I hope this helps.  :smileyhappy:

Chaita wrote:

Thanks!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
skrupp

pen21 wrote:

And I just started a free book on the nook called The Dragon Keeper. I am really enjoying the writing in this one. pen21

I just downloaded that book as well.  I haven't had a chance to start it yet.  I look forward to reading it though.

Contributor
skrupp
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola wrote:

skrupp wrote:

hope to be confirmed for the writing circle.  I LOVE my nook.  it is a great way to have many books to choose from without having three shelves filled or my nightstand over flowing and having my husband complain about all the books.  Currently I am reading The Man from Beijing and two or three free books on the nook.  Love all the choices on the nook.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about The Man from Beijing. I finished that book a few weeks ago. I was so enthralled with Steig Larssen's "The Girl ..." series that I decided to give a chance to another Swedish author.

I haven't had much time to read it yet, but what I have read I am really enjoying.  I will let you know more as I go along.

pen21
0 Kudos

Let me know what you think of the book.

It is nice to get a free book and try a new author.

pen21

skrupp wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I just downloaded that book as well.  I haven't had a chance to start it yet.  I look forward to reading it though.

Reader 2
Adweena
0 Kudos

Hi there!

I normally have a few books going at once.  Right now I am reading:

• Ruined : A Ghost Story by Paula Morris
  • The Six Wives of Henry the VIII by Alison Weir
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  • Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

On my 'shelf' (books to start shortly) I have:

• The Running Man by Stepehn King (Richard Bachman)
  • Lady in the Tower : The Fall of Anne Boleyn by Alison Weir
  • Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger

I like a good mix of books :smileyhappy:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

pen21 wrote:

pen21

skrupp wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite writers.  This is the 10th book set in this world, and the first of a new duology.  The second book was just released.  You should really read the Farseer Trilogy, the Liveship Traders Trilogy, and the Tawny Man Trilogy.  They're awesome!

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Ugh. I hope I get confirmation soon. Sent email from husband's computer (logged in as me, of course), but no email in Sent items. Had to send another message (gasp!) 12 hours later. I'm sure I'll get a confirmation, but the suspense is killing me!  :smileyhappy:

krb2G - I love my nook and ebooks for some of the same reasons. I love to read but have no more room for physical books in my house. Love the idea of digital books - especially having read a few on my nook. Now I can't live without it. Have always gone through phases where I read a lot and then don't read as much, but having the nook makes it so much easier to read in places that I wouldn't normally feel like lugging a book (or books) along. As for ebooks, I've downloaded a lot of freebies (from B&N as well as Project Gutenberg) and I have found that some of the books are quite interesting (a few were real duds). In fact, there was one that I enjoyed so much I found the sequel and downloaded that as well. I'm finding that while I'm being a little less discriminating about the books I download for free (I'm still being very discriminating about the books I purchase), I'm going outside my preferred genres and am really glad that I did.

I'm really am glad that there's a digital edition of First Look. While the other two (as well as this one) that I've participated in are books that I normally wouldn't have bought on my own based on my own preferences, I'm glad that I broadened my horizons to read them and participate in discussions.

pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you Nallia. So far I really like the book. pen21

Nallia wrote:

pen21 wrote:

pen21

skrupp wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite writers.  This is the 10th book set in this world, and the first of a new duology.  The second book was just released.  You should really read the Farseer Trilogy, the Liveship Traders Trilogy, and the Tawny Man Trilogy.  They're awesome!

Contributor
jenno0108
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody!

I am reading for a book club I am in

Peony in Love