Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

Re: Dear First Look Group

Welcome, and hank you for letting us be a part of this!  I've read through the book--the characters drew me in, and I just didn't want to stop reading.  I plan to reread the first assignment this weekend so it's fresh in my mind for the discussion.  I'm looking forward to the discussions.

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Corinne -

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us.  As a writer, I am fascinated with your subject.  I've never been a part of a writer's group because I just haven't been able to open myself up to other writers critiquing my work.  I wonder if your book will emphasize my fear or change my mind.  I'm excited to find out. 

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

I am thrilled to be a part of reading your novel.  I love to read and I thoroughly enjoy reading what motivated you to pick the subject you did.  I am excited to explore it together.

becky in IN

Contributor
fmessick
0 Kudos

Hi and welcome!  Thank you for being willing to let us get a first look at your book.  I've just started and I am having trouble putting the book down.  I look forward to discussing your work with you in the coming weeks.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Corinne:

Just finished the assigned reading. Very interesting concept and fascinating characters. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks for the opportunity to read your writing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Contributor
Sherry_Young
0 Kudos

Dear Corinne,

Welcome to First Look! We are so glad you are here with us, too! I must admit I did not see your message on here until this morning because I've been reading your book...just finished Part I last night (shhh...don't tell anyone I've read beyond the assigned chapters:smileywink:). You have intrigued me with the relationships the further along I read. Now that I've read your post, I understand that is exactly what you intended!

We are all anxious to discuss our thoughts on The Writing Circle with you!

Thank you for sharing your story with us...

Sherry Young

Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.
— Judy Blume
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Dear Corinne,

Welcome!  I am very excited for this experience and so far have had the hardest time keeping myself from reading farther then the first reading assignment!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Welcome Connie!

Thank you for letting us be the first readers to enjoy your book.  This is a really great opportunity for us and I am looking forward to our discussions.

I am enjoying your characters and their relationships which will make keeping

to the schedule a problem.  But that's a good thing  :smileyvery-happy:

Mazz

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Good day, Corrinne.  I finished the reading assignment last weekend and had a hard time stopping.... But I did.  I also had a hard time starting so personally, I will be very interested to hear how and why you chose the intro/prologue that you did.  Once the characters evolved, it was very easy to want to read on.  I almost closed the door on Nancy after the first chapter but she evolved nicely.

Looking forward to the development of the story and your insight into how it went on paper, errr, screen.

John S.

Inspired Contributor
wendyr67
0 Kudos

Hi Corrinne! This is my first First Look discussion (I was thrilled it is in a digital format - I love my Nook). I finished the book today. I realize the schedule is broken down into shorter assignments, but I just didn't want to stop. I will reread the first 88 pages tonight so I'm fresh for discussion. It's going to be so much fun to have a book discussion that includes the writer. I had several comments come to mind throughout the read and can't wait to jump in. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hello Corinne,

Welcome to the electronic den of our First eLook Group and congratulations to you for being the adventurous writer who doesn't solely cling to the safety of the well-established world of conventional publishing. Many of us are more or less new to the phenomenon of ereading, intrigued by its possibilities, maybe just a bit surprised that we find it more agreeable than we had thought, and, on occasion, frustrated by its limitations. And though this is the first time we don't turn pages, but click or tap or swipe, we love to read; we read to gain insight into the sounds and smells and images that radiate from a novel - your novel. I am sure our journey across eink and LCD and threads of critical thinking will be an enriching one for all of us. And I wish you much success with "The Writing Circle."

Regards,

Gisela

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thank you, Corinne about telling us how you chose to write about a writer's group. It's a fascinating idea!

Chris

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
midgefrazel

It is an unexpected surprise to read about Black Jack Gum. It was my father's favorite and I have an unopened package on my desk that he gave me before he died. No one is allowed to touch it.

It is nice to meet you.

Midge Frazel

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Dear Readers—

Many thanks for your welcoming letters and for your tremendous enthusiasm for our literary adventure. It’s been interesting for me to read your introductions and begin to learn about this select group of first readers of The Writing Circle. I’m impressed by what avid readers you are and what a diverse group you are (from every corner of the country!)   Although I’m naturally a bit anxious about hearing your responses to my novel, I can tell from your letters that you are committed and careful readers, and I feel I am in safe hands. 

Although I’ve been invited to be a guest at book clubs that have discussed previous books of mine, this is the first time that I’ll be part of an on-line book group.  It will be fascinating for me to hear your ideas, impressions, and questions, and it will be equally interesting to hear the discussion among you.  I know you’ll have insights into my novel that never occurred to me.

There’s been a lot of discussion about reading The Writing Circle as a nook, rather than a traditional book.  Like many of you, I love the sensual experience of a book-- the smell, the heft, the sound of turning pages.  When the hardback edition of The Writing Circle appears on July 6th  I’ll be in raptures—it’s an incredible thrill to walk into a bookstore and see stacks of your new book, with its beautiful cover, piled there.  I confess to being a bit of technophobe, but I have to admit I appreciate technology.  I compose on my laptop and I depend on email for my writing career (I’ve trained myself to attach my attachments!)  Although I imagine I’ll never stop buying books (even though I have no more shelf space for them) I can imagine there might be situations where being able to carry all of Trollope in one hand would be useful. And for getting a manuscript to many readers before publication, wow!  I’m grateful to technology for enabling me to be part of the best book club ever.

I’m looking forward to joining the group on June 7th. Happy reading until then!

Warm wishes,

Corinne      

Reader
Kioteegirl
0 Kudos

Dear Corinne,

Being a new member to the circle, I'm very excited to be able to share not only with other readers, but you, the author.  Thank you for being brave!  And it is an honor to get a first look at a new novel.

Lynette

Reader
MelloLisa
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone!  I am also new to the experience of reviewing a book in this manner, but I find the concept fascinating and am looking forward to reading and participating in all of the discussions.

So excited was I once I got my download, I immediately dove into reading the entire book without once checking the message board for instructions for what I was really supposed to do.  So, I'll do  my best to look at the book piece at a time without any spoilers of what's to come!

Thanks!

Lisa

Contributor
jenno0108
0 Kudos

I have read the part that was scheduled so far, and I love it! I am so excited to read more.
Contributor
DiamondgirlVA
0 Kudos

This is my first First Look and I loved the book.  I too have read it all. In fact I read it in two day. The second day I couldn't put it down and stayed up until nearly 4 am to finish it.  Loved the way the character's developed.  Wanted to read more.

Frequent Contributor
Cycling_Chef
0 Kudos

Same here. I read past the first assigned section without realizing it! The writing is very readable and the story is engaging. My only critique, so far, is there are a lot of characters to keep track of and I wonder if it is necessary to give names to the previous wives, girlfriends, etc. of some of the characters, who at this stage (up to page 125), do not have a role in the story.

Is there going to be thread to list typos in the ebook version on the nook? I have found three or four, so far.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Cycling Chef,

I've found several typos too, and a couple of awkward expressions. My suggestion - and I have done this in the past - is to send either the editor or the author a PM listing the errors. Unless, of course, there is going to be a thread for it. There was none in previous First Look discussions.

As for naming all the characters, I agree with you, unless they figure into future events, I would leave a lot of the names out. I've finished reding the second assignment and have listed  45 character names in 166 pages.

Cycling_Chef wrote:

Same here. I read past the first assigned section without realizing it! The writing is very readable and the story is engaging. My only critique, so far, is there are a lot of characters to keep track of and I wonder if it is necessary to give names to the previous wives, girlfriends, etc. of some of the characters, who at this stage (up to page 125), do not have a role in the story.

Is there going to be thread to list typos in the ebook version on the nook? I have found three or four, so far.