Re: Downloading and E-Reading Issues

I still can't download my book :smileysad:

Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

Sapphire329 wrote:

joyfull wrote:

This is the message I left on the ereader technic board. I'm hoping you can help me. This is frustrating. 

Here's my message:

I do not own a separate ereader but I understood the B & N e-reader would work on my Mac laptop.

I've downloaded the ereader twice. Nothing. Double clicked numerous times. Nothing. I've downloaded the book. Nothing.

The B & N ereader shows up in my laptop's applications so I know it's on my laptop. I don't understand why it won't work. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

Please help me and, if you don't mind, give me the answer in plain English. This ereader has me baffled.

Help??

Joyfull, I have an iMac and downloaded the ereader app on it as well. I tried opening it and opening it and thought there was something wrong because NOTHING happened. But then I noticed a little instruction screen and at first I ignored it. With the MAC ereader, I'm not sure about Windows version, you have to go to File --> Open and then choose the book you want to read. You will then get a box asking for your B&N profile name and the last 4 digits of your credit card on file (this is for security purposes to unlock the book)

Sapphire329:

Thanks for trying to help me. Unfortunately, I did not get an instruction screen. I've downloaded the ereader numerous times and still I cannot open the it. It is definitely loaded on my software applications but just will not open. I double click. I go to File --> Open and nothing. I went to File --> Open With and then the option comes up Open With B & N ereader. I hit yes and still nothing.

I don't know what else to do.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

I, too, got the pm about an invalid email address and/or no credit card number attached to my B&N account, which is bizarre as I have purchased and downloaded like 10 books to my Nook since I got it last week.  I even ordered a Nook light from B&N while signed into my account with the same info.

Things that make you go hmmmm?  Hope this gets resolved quickly. I really want to be involved in this discussion.

Thanks for your help Paul, and that of your team in sorting all this out.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Just a question or two to see if I can help

For those of you who are unable to open your copy of The Writing Circle are you opening it from within the eReader app?  Does it appear in your B&N Library when you open the eReader?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand where in the process you're all at (and you're all probably in different places in the process) - if you can see your copy of The Writing Circle in your My B&N eBook Library when you check your account (either signed into BN or you can see it in the link from your MyB&N page) then it should be available to download via nook or app.

[if the problem is with your account matching up with your email that's a little beyond my abilities :smileysad:]

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Rachel-K

Paul's on it, guys!

Just imagine the frustrations those early codex readers had to deal with when they were so accustomed to handling scrolls. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

joyfull wrote:

Sapphire329 wrote:

joyfull wrote:

This is the message I left on the ereader technic board. I'm hoping you can help me. This is frustrating. 

Here's my message:

I do not own a separate ereader but I understood the B & N e-reader would work on my Mac laptop.

I've downloaded the ereader twice. Nothing. Double clicked numerous times. Nothing. I've downloaded the book. Nothing.

The B & N ereader shows up in my laptop's applications so I know it's on my laptop. I don't understand why it won't work. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

Please help me and, if you don't mind, give me the answer in plain English. This ereader has me baffled.

Help??

Joyfull, I have an iMac and downloaded the ereader app on it as well. I tried opening it and opening it and thought there was something wrong because NOTHING happened. But then I noticed a little instruction screen and at first I ignored it. With the MAC ereader, I'm not sure about Windows version, you have to go to File --> Open and then choose the book you want to read. You will then get a box asking for your B&N profile name and the last 4 digits of your credit card on file (this is for security purposes to unlock the book)

Sapphire329:

Thanks for trying to help me. Unfortunately, I did not get an instruction screen. I've downloaded the ereader numerous times and still I cannot open the it. It is definitely loaded on my software applications but just will not open. I double click. I go to File --> Open and nothing. I went to File --> Open With and then the option comes up Open With B & N ereader. I hit yes and still nothing.

I don't know what else to do.

The eReader doesn't open really which I thought was very strange. When you double click on it and you look at the top by the apple sign you will see where it says Barnes & Noble eReader, File, Edit...from there you chose file then open and then it will take you to wherever your downloaded books are and you choose the book. I hope this helps

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Thanks Rachel!

In my case, it seemed to be an upper/lower case issue with my email address.  Like Sapphire, my account with B&N is 'very' active, I purchase eBooks frequently and have not had a problem until now.

I have no doubt it will be resolved soon.  :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

Paul's on it, guys!

Just imagine the frustrations those early codex readers had to deal with when they were so accustomed to handling scrolls. :smileyhappy:

Rachel, I have complete faith in you and Paul and I a complete techno challenged person have actually downloaded, stored and am ready to read my copy. I'm still pinching myself.

So the rest of you don't worry our pros here at B&N will take care of you.

And Rachel loved the post ;-)

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Funny one, Rachel  :smileywink:

Rachel-K wrote:

Paul's on it, guys!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
edelweissAM
0 Kudos

I  received the email about my address not matching my account. My e-mail does match my account. I cannot find the book to download and I have a nook that up to this time I have had no problem with.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Edelweiss,

Make sure you PM Paul back with the email address used to register your nook - it is case sensitive so there might have been a typo or misunderstanding :smileyhappy:  Until Paul can get a match on your account he won't be able to place the eARC of The Writing Circle in your ebooks library.

edelweissAM wrote:

I  received the email about my address not matching my account. My e-mail does match my account. I cannot find the book to download and I have a nook that up to this time I have had no problem with.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

My eARC is placed on the reader locker, but I keep getting this message: "Please verify the default payment method on record in your account" when I try to download it. I've checked the account 100 times by now and can't figure out what the problem can be :smileysad:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Rosei wrote:

My eARC is placed on the reader locker, but I keep getting this message: "Please verify the default payment method on record in your account" when I try to download it. I've checked the account 100 times by now and can't figure out what the problem can be :smileysad:

We have seen this problem many times over in the nook forums. I will just mention someof the main problems that can cause this:

• You must have a credit card entered in your account and it MUST be set as the default payment method for that account.
  • The credit card must be valid, it can not be expired and it can not be "maxed out".
  • The billing address you have set for your default credit card must match EXACTLY the address that appears on your credit card billing statement.
  • The name you have entered for your default credit card must match EXACTLY the name on your credit card billing statement with the EXCEPTION that you can not include a middle initial.
  • Some people have reported problems using a bank debit card instead of a real credit card.

If everything else is set correctly a number of people have corrected this problem by simply deleting the credit card from their B&N account and re-entering it.

Contributor
edelweissAM
0 Kudos

I have checked and doublechecked all the information and still have not been able to get book. I have even changed credit card default to no avail. Am I the only one locked out?

The e-mail address is the one registered to my nook.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hmmm...when you log into your BN.com account online and look in your eBooks Library (near the bottom under Digital Management) does The Writing Circle show up?  I believe the default setting for the eBooks libraries are to arrange the books by "date added" so it should be near the top of the first page.

If you've verified your information with Paul you might need to wait until he gets back to you.  He's working as fast as he can and I think everyone's barrier to getting the eARC downloaded is slightly different some one to the other (The Writing Circle isn't something we can search and add to our eBooks libraries ourselves). 

edelweissAM wrote:

I have checked and doublechecked all the information and still have not been able to get book. I have even changed credit card default to no avail. Am I the only one locked out?

Melissa W.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

edelweissAM wrote:

there are apparently others having issues as well, Paul is trying to solve all the problems and I'm sure either Rachel or Paul will let us all know when all is fixed. 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hi Rosei,

Are you reading via nook or eReader app?  I couldn't find a post where you said which device you were using.  If this is the first time you're using the eReader app then you'll need to enter the same credit card # as the default in your account; that's usually what that prompt is for - does it give you a dialogue or text box to enter the number?

Rosei wrote:

Melissa W.
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm able to download the book from my locker, but when I try to read it I get a message saying that neither my reader nor my computer is authorized to display pages, or the book is authorized to someone else.

Sorry I just looked again - it says exactly:

This ebook cannot be transferred because there is no license to view on this device or it is authorized to another user.

Anyone else have this problem?

Amanda

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Hi, Melissa!

I'm using the eReader app for PC and it gives me a dialogue box.

Correspondent
joyfull

I took my Mac laptop into the genius at the Apple Store. Turns out B & N ereader will only work if my laptop is 10.5 or better. Mine is 10.411. Looks like I am out of First Look for this book.

Any chance of a hard copy somewhere?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com