Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008

Re: How to Enroll

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed with Barnes and Noble - and I also would appreciate the "head's up" if the First Look will only be e-copies from here on out... if so I'll find another venue that still offers traditional ARCs.

I agree that the Kindle, Nook, etc are great additions to those who travel, etc. However I feel like society is pushing us all to be strapped to a screen 24/7 be it the computer, TV, or e-reader. What happened to curling up with a good book you can hold in your hands and feel the pages?

I spend 60 hours a week working on a computer; the last thing I want to do is be forced to sit down again at home to my laptop just so I can read a novel.

Paul, perhaps you can let us know if FL will go back to "normal" for the next round, or if this is the future so all of us "old school" readers can know where we stand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
Posts: 850
Registered: ‎03-06-2010

Re: How to Enroll

In another one of the threads Paul said that this is not the way B&N is going explicitly.  Like many of you I was old school until I got a nook.  It is not like looking at a computer screen it is like looking at a book.  For those of you not familiar, there is no backlit screen since it uses e-ink technology.  It is lighter then most hardcover books (I believe this is true but don't quote me on that.  This is my own assumption from using the nook).  Lastly, its nice that when I am finished a book I can either go buy another one right away, borrow one from my library, or download a free one that is out of copyright (that you have to pay for when you go into the store like: Pride and prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, etc) without leaving my chair.  Like I said I was very old school and have to admit I still miss cracking the binding, getting that paper smell; however, since I received my nook I couldn't imagine reading any other way (unless I was getting a DTB ARC for FL :-) )

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.


FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: How to Enroll

Come on to all you nay sayers out there. B&N isn't going all digital but Paul said that since so many readers are using the e-readers that he was going to do this. I think it's a great idea, and I am a very old fashioned reader, I love holding a book. But I think that I also have to look to the future. I am considering buying a nook except right now it's not in my budget and my budget is crying, because I think that it could really come in handy for when traveling etc when carting a lot of books doesn't work. My friend has the one that starts with a K (can't mention it here) and I've used it to read and review books. So I think it will have it's uses and I don't think that the libraries or the booksellers will be exclusively digital ever.

I can't wait until the next FL where I can hold the pages in my hand, but for this one I'm willing to give it a try. And hey if I don't like reading on the computer I can always print it.

So I signed up and said I'd give it a try.

The one thing that I have noticed that I don't like is that it's much harder to refer back to pages and dialogue that I want to speak about later, you can't put a post it note on it. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: How to Enroll

Well said Deb. I received my nook as a gift and wasn't sure about using it. I love books and my shelves, under the bed, baskets, etc. prove it. But I have fallen in love with the nook. The display is wonderful. I am still learning about navigation around. There is a way to mark a page in a book. I haven't played with a lot of the features yet. I have been to busy reading on it. The nook does show page numbers (this is different than the K-reader). And of course now they have Sudoku for me to play, also chess. And last night I tried out surfing the web on my nook. Some day I need to get the time to try out some of the other features.

pen21

 

 

dhaupt wrote:

Come on to all you nay sayers out there. B&N isn't going all digital but Paul said that since so many readers are using the e-readers that he was going to do this. I think it's a great idea, and I am a very old fashioned reader, I love holding a book. But I think that I also have to look to the future. I am considering buying a nook except right now it's not in my budget and my budget is crying, because I think that it could really come in handy for when traveling etc when carting a lot of books doesn't work. My friend has the one that starts with a K (can't mention it here) and I've used it to read and review books. So I think it will have it's uses and I don't think that the libraries or the booksellers will be exclusively digital ever.

I can't wait until the next FL where I can hold the pages in my hand, but for this one I'm willing to give it a try. And hey if I don't like reading on the computer I can always print it.

So I signed up and said I'd give it a try.

The one thing that I have noticed that I don't like is that it's much harder to refer back to pages and dialogue that I want to speak about later, you can't put a post it note on it. 

 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008

Re: How to Enroll

I'm glad you like your Nook and I know a few friends who love their Kindle. I also can't blame B&N for going this route since sales must be slow with the Nook for how much it's being pushed (at least at my local Barnes & Noble store the stand is practically in the doorway so you can't get away from it and staff behind the table harass everyone walking by about how they need to buy one).

Like someone else said earlier, it just would have been nice to have offered this selection in both formats instead of excluding people who don't have (and perhaps don't want) and e-reader. Sure I could have signed up and printed it out - but that's a LOT of ink and paper to use and would result in something that would be difficult to transport and read through.

Another thing that I don't like about this is requiring a credit card (I know it's not charged).

But again, maybe that's just me.

I hope everyone who did sign up enjoys TWC. :smileyhappy:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

In another one of the threads Paul said that this is not the way B&N is going explicitly.  Like many of you I was old school until I got a nook.  It is not like looking at a computer screen it is like looking at a book.  For those of you not familiar, there is no backlit screen since it uses e-ink technology.  It is lighter then most hardcover books (I believe this is true but don't quote me on that.  This is my own assumption from using the nook).  Lastly, its nice that when I am finished a book I can either go buy another one right away, borrow one from my library, or download a free one that is out of copyright (that you have to pay for when you go into the store like: Pride and prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, etc) without leaving my chair.  Like I said I was very old school and have to admit I still miss cracking the binding, getting that paper smell; however, since I received my nook I couldn't imagine reading any other way (unless I was getting a DTB ARC for FL :-) )

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
Posts: 850
Registered: ‎03-06-2010

Re: How to Enroll

 

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I'm glad you like your Nook and I know a few friends who love their Kindle. I also can't blame B&N for going this route since sales must be slow with the Nook for how much it's being pushed (at least at my local Barnes & Noble store the stand is practically in the doorway so you can't get away from it and staff behind the table harass everyone walking by about how they need to buy one).

Like someone else said earlier, it just would have been nice to have offered this selection in both formats instead of excluding people who don't have (and perhaps don't want) and e-reader. Sure I could have signed up and printed it out - but that's a LOT of ink and paper to use and would result in something that would be difficult to transport and read through.

Another thing that I don't like about this is requiring a credit card (I know it's not charged).

But again, maybe that's just me.

I hope everyone who did sign up enjoys TWC. :smileyhappy:

JdiennoPSU wrote:

In another one of the threads Paul said that this is not the way B&N is going explicitly.  Like many of you I was old school until I got a nook.  It is not like looking at a computer screen it is like looking at a book.  For those of you not familiar, there is no backlit screen since it uses e-ink technology.  It is lighter then most hardcover books (I believe this is true but don't quote me on that.  This is my own assumption from using the nook).  Lastly, its nice that when I am finished a book I can either go buy another one right away, borrow one from my library, or download a free one that is out of copyright (that you have to pay for when you go into the store like: Pride and prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, etc) without leaving my chair.  Like I said I was very old school and have to admit I still miss cracking the binding, getting that paper smell; however, since I received my nook I couldn't imagine reading any other way (unless I was getting a DTB ARC for FL :-) )

 

 

I really wishes they offered both versions as well.  Maybe it was up to the publishers discretion and not B&N?  Who knows?  Hopefully once the whole eReader craze dies down they will start to offer ARC in both version.  We can only hope!

 

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.


FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Reader 4
durblady
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I sent the enrollment email yesterday but didn't figure out how to set my message preference until this morning . . . do I need to enroll again now that my message preference is correct or will I still receive the book and information regarding this First Look?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

If you sent the PM, you should be fine.

 

Confirmations will go out through this week and probably into the next.

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Debbie, I agree with you. I have read books on my computer and have listened to them on CD's, along with holding a book in my hand (my favorite way to read). But, there are so many opportunities for reading out there and it is good to explore other options once in a while. The book sounds great and it is the draw for me.  :smileywink:

 

dhaupt wrote:

Come on to all you nay sayers out there. B&N isn't going all digital but Paul said that since so many readers are using the e-readers that he was going to do this. I think it's a great idea, and I am a very old fashioned reader, I love holding a book. But I think that I also have to look to the future. I am considering buying a nook except right now it's not in my budget and my budget is crying, because I think that it could really come in handy for when traveling etc when carting a lot of books doesn't work. My friend has the one that starts with a K (can't mention it here) and I've used it to read and review books. So I think it will have it's uses and I don't think that the libraries or the booksellers will be exclusively digital ever.

I can't wait until the next FL where I can hold the pages in my hand, but for this one I'm willing to give it a try. And hey if I don't like reading on the computer I can always print it.

So I signed up and said I'd give it a try.

The one thing that I have noticed that I don't like is that it's much harder to refer back to pages and dialogue that I want to speak about later, you can't put a post it note on it. 

 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
bibanon1
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎03-10-2009

Re: How to Enroll

I agree with the others. Reading a digital format is not conducive to my lifestyle.  I know it saves paper and i appreciate that but a digital copy just doesn't work for me so I cannot participate this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎04-12-2008

Re: How to Enroll

I'm going to pass on this one also. I don't have a nook and I don't like to read entire books on the computer. I can see it is only fair that e-books get the same chance as regular books as an ARC, I'll wait patiently for the next hard copy.

Contributor
Mochasmom
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎12-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I have enrolled with no problem and am looking forward to reading this new book.

 

I have a Nook I got before Christmas. Mine was one of the first ones to go out. I've never had problems with it and absolutely love it. They keep upgrading it too and adding more cool features.

 

I was and still am old school. I love books, the paper, the smell. But because I travel so much it's not feasible for me to carry a couple of books with me. Especially since I fly and you have to pay for bags and I'm always close to being overweight with my bags. I can carry 50 books at one time with my Nook. I love it.

 

I'm glad that BN is trying the bookclub this way. It's moving into the future and using great technology.

 

Julie

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I've been confirmed and I checked my Nook and the online reader and the book is not there. What do I do?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

maxcat,

Paul had said the book would be coming in a few weeks.

I can't find the post right now.

But I am sure Paul will post when we should see the book in our account.

pen21

 

 

maxcat wrote:

I've been confirmed and I checked my Nook and the online reader and the book is not there. What do I do?

 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

JdiennoPSU wrote:

In another one of the threads Paul said that this is not the way B&N is going explicitly.  Like many of you I was old school until I got a nook.  It is not like looking at a computer screen it is like looking at a book.  For those of you not familiar, there is no backlit screen since it uses e-ink technology.  It is lighter then most hardcover books (I believe this is true but don't quote me on that.  This is my own assumption from using the nook).  Lastly, its nice that when I am finished a book I can either go buy another one right away, borrow one from my library, or download a free one that is out of copyright (that you have to pay for when you go into the store like: Pride and prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, etc) without leaving my chair.  Like I said I was very old school and have to admit I still miss cracking the binding, getting that paper smell; however, since I received my nook I couldn't imagine reading any other way (unless I was getting a DTB ARC for FL :-) )

 

And don't forget the positive impact on the environment by reducing paper useage.   :smileyhappy:

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I have been confirmed too. Probably we will have to wait until the enrollment closes and all the confirmations are out. Then there will probably be an announcement that the book is ready for download. We will have to be patient and wait for the instructions. Not easy sometimes!

maxcat wrote:

I've been confirmed and I checked my Nook and the online reader and the book is not there. What do I do?

 

 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Thanks, pen, I did not see that and I sort of freaked out. Thanks for letting me know.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

>>>The one thing that I have noticed that I don't like is that it's much harder to refer back to pages and dialogue that I want to speak about later, you can't put a post it note on it.<<< 

 

Hi Debbie

BN ebook on the computer has highlighting and marking pages. It takes a few minutes to figure it out but it works.

Cora

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Thanks, eadieburke, you made me feel better now that I'm not the only one.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

 

Coral50 wrote:

>>>The one thing that I have noticed that I don't like is that it's much harder to refer back to pages and dialogue that I want to speak about later, you can't put a post it note on it.<<< 

 

Hi Debbie

BN ebook on the computer has highlighting and marking pages. It takes a few minutes to figure it out but it works.

Cora

 

Thanks Cora, does it work on the Mac version too, that's what I use.