Reply
Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎02-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

[ Edited ]

Thank you pen21, that's good feedback.  I did see your reply until the next day and of course cannot edit my former reply any longer.  Will test that theory with this reply.  In fact, I have subsequently edited this post.

 

Thank you,

 

John S.

Contributor
brezi
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎04-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Such a shame that this is an e-book only. I enjoyed participating in many FL selections; however I am "old school" and fully believe that books should be read as they have been created for centuries and not on an electronic screen.

 

Does this mean that Barnes & Noble is done with mailing out ARC copies for future FL selections?

I too am disappointed that "The Writing Circle" is only being offered as an e-book. I too am "old school" and am not interested in reading books on the computer, especially after being on the computer all day. I prefer to curl up with a "real" book as a way of unwinding after being on the computer all day.I will have to pass this time but am hoping First Look offers a "regular" book as an option next time.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

 

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi John,

 

Enrollment closes when we are out of eARCs to distribute, so the double enrollment will be weeded out "by hand" I think. 

 

 

 

I am curious - how do you run out of eARCs? Does the publisher establish a quantity?

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

 

Sunltcloud wrote:

 

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi John,

 

Enrollment closes when we are out of eARCs to distribute, so the double enrollment will be weeded out "by hand" I think. 

 

 

 

I am curious - how do you run out of eARCs? Does the publisher establish a quantity?

 

 

They do indeed,

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: How to Enroll

Thanks, Paul!

 

I've been waiting for the first "eFirst Look" since I got my nook last year. I can see where the problem might arise with mixing ebook and traditional book ARCs in one group, since pages on desktop, laptop, nook and traditional book are not the same and one would have a hard time quoting a certain phrase.

 

I have to add that I love my nook. I have over one hundred books on it, many of them I downloaded from Barnes & Noble free of charge. I also love the fact that I can now read many ebooks for free at my local Barnes & Noble while I am having coffee and a cinnamon scone.  It doesn't mean that I don't buy dead tree books any more; books with lots of photographs or illustrations must be looked at on paper. But it does mean that I can carry enough reading material for a year in my purse at any time. Also, I have six bookcases in my house and nook eases the load for the future.

 

Looking forward to "The Writing Circle."

Contributor
LastWord
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I'm very comfortable reading on screen but have never actually tried reading an entire book that way. So I'm excited to give it a go. I have an iPod touch now and am planning to get an iPad, maybe at Christmas.

 

The only issue I have with First Look is this: am I missing a way to get a digest of all the FL messages sent directly to my regular email? I've done two FLs, and I found it difficult to remember/have the time to go to the B&N site every day to check in. I wish there were a way (maybe there is) to be able to skim quickly through all the new messages and then have a link to click to take me to the B&N site to respond. The B&N message system feels a little slow and cumbersome to me. I know it is possible to subscribe to different threads, but there are too many threads for each book to make this practical.

Frequent Contributor
Cycling_Chef
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎09-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I've been reading the message boards and have read and reread the instructions several times, but I don't understand when or how I will be able to read the book. Will THE WRITING CIRCLE be available for download to my nook? When will it be available and how will I know? Cheers.

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Hi. Paul posted in one of the topics that the book will be available in a couple of weeks. It will show up in our book list for the Nook or e-Reader. Paul and the others who run these book discussions are great about letting us know when the books are being mailed, so I believe there will be a post regarding the availability of the book.  :smileyhappy:

 

Cycling_Chef wrote:

I've been reading the message boards and have read and reread the instructions several times, but I don't understand when or how I will be able to read the book. Will THE WRITING CIRCLE be available for download to my nook? When will it be available and how will I know? Cheers.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Thread Options

Hi  :smileyhappy:  You can get a daily e-mail update of all the posts you missed by subscribing to  each thread. As you get to a new thread, click on "Thread Options" and then select "Add This Thread to My Subscriptions." My experience has been that the e-mails are generated in the early morning, so you don't miss anything or duplicate what you have read. I hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

 

LastWord wrote:

I'm very comfortable reading on screen but have never actually tried reading an entire book that way. So I'm excited to give it a go. I have an iPod touch now and am planning to get an iPad, maybe at Christmas.

 

The only issue I have with First Look is this: am I missing a way to get a digest of all the FL messages sent directly to my regular email? I've done two FLs, and I found it difficult to remember/have the time to go to the B&N site every day to check in. I wish there were a way (maybe there is) to be able to skim quickly through all the new messages and then have a link to click to take me to the B&N site to respond. The B&N message system feels a little slow and cumbersome to me. I know it is possible to subscribe to different threads, but there are too many threads for each book to make this practical.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Sunltcloud wrote:

Thanks, Paul!

 

I've been waiting for the first "eFirst Look" since I got my nook last year. I can see where the problem might arise with mixing ebook and traditional book ARCs in one group, since pages on desktop, laptop, nook and traditional book are not the same and one would have a hard time quoting a certain phrase.

 

I have to add that I love my nook. I have over one hundred books on it, many of them I downloaded from Barnes & Noble free of charge. I also love the fact that I can now read many ebooks for free at my local Barnes & Noble while I am having coffee and a cinnamon scone.  It doesn't mean that I don't buy dead tree books any more; books with lots of photographs or illustrations must be looked at on paper. But it does mean that I can carry enough reading material for a year in my purse at any time. Also, I have six bookcases in my house and nook eases the load for the future.

 

Looking forward to "The Writing Circle."

Hi Sunitcloud

You are smart.:smileywink:

I have books in every room of my house including the kitchen and restroom. I'm moving and this job is tooo much for me.

When I can afford the Nook it sounds like a good deal.

Right now I'm using the PC ereader and my computer will be hooked up in the new place a week before scheduled discussion.

I'm really looking forward to relaxing, reading and discussing.

I enrolled two days ago and recieved my comfirmation this morning...Hooray

Cora

Laughter and Good Living go together

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Hi Cora,

 

Nice seeing you here again. Well, it is I who was absent last time around. I wish you a good move. I should have new carpeting installed in the living room but can't bear to go beyond thinking about moving four bookcases out. Every time I plan on some kind of action in that department I shake my head, take a walk, and decide to accept my old shabby carpet the way I accept my 71-year-old look. Carpet and I have been together for 23 years; every once in a while we get cleaned up for a special occasion - which means I get the carpet cleaned and spring for a professional haircut instead doing both myself. I love my life, sitting in the middle of my living room at my computer, surrounded by books and knitting yarn in the middle of the night, tapping away at the keyboard. And yet, someday....... well I'll just have to take a trip to get away from the old carpet.

 

 

Coral50 wrote:

 

Looking forward to "The Writing Circle."

Hi Sunitcloud

You are smart.:smileywink:

I have books in every room of my house including the kitchen and restroom. I'm moving and this job is tooo much for me.

When I can afford the Nook it sounds like a good deal.

Right now I'm using the PC ereader and my computer will be hooked up in the new place a week before scheduled discussion.

I'm really looking forward to relaxing, reading and discussing.

I enrolled two days ago and recieved my comfirmation this morning...Hooray

Cora

Laughter and Good Living go together

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
Posts: 114
Registered: ‎12-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Alas, I too will have to pass on this selection.  As enticing as it sounds, I don't have a computer available to read on. Hopefully the "UPS Arc" frenzy will return soon..........

Everyone enjoy!!!

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
Posts: 951
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Hi Paul

I downloaded the free e-reader on my home PC, but wonder if I want to read the book other places and I download the free e-reader on my work laptop will I have access to my Barnes and Noble e-book library on it too? And will the new e-book (along with the free ones they give you when you download the reader just appear on my library account?

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Hi Bonnie. You will be able to access your books from any computer as long as you are signed into your account. I have used the e-Reader at home and at work, and it works fine.  :smileywink:

 

Bonnie824 wrote:

Hi Paul

I downloaded the free e-reader on my home PC, but wonder if I want to read the book other places and I download the free e-reader on my work laptop will I have access to my Barnes and Noble e-book library on it too? And will the new e-book (along with the free ones they give you when you download the reader just appear on my library account?

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎02-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I got my confirmation for the book club!  This ought to be interesting - perhaps a first for an electronic book club of its kind.  I understand the the H/C wishes but this is experimental, novel (as in novelty not in book), and because of it a unique experience.  Heck, I even forgot the name of the first book in the eclub already.

 

John S.

Contributor
booklovinmama
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I recieved my confirmation message back, but I don't see the book in my ebook library yet. How do I get the book in my library so I can download it to my nook?? Thanks.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

 

booklovinmama wrote:

I recieved my confirmation message back, but I don't see the book in my ebook library yet. How do I get the book in my library so I can download it to my nook?? Thanks.

 

It will be put in your ebook library in a few weeks when enrollment is finished.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

You know, there are a lot of people here that don't commit because the book will be digital. I guess I would do the same if the book was stored on the B&N reader. I have a hard time sitting in front of my computer reading books. You're commited to sit there and read the required chapters and then say something about the book to that point. I loved having the ARC's arrive at ny house each time because I could read it anywhere and anytime. Well, the same goes with the Nook. I have one and love it because it is portable and you have the advantage of taking 50+ books with you on vacation and they are all in your purse. I wanted to try an ereader and bought a clearanced Sony ereader to sort of test drive. I found I liked the idea so much that I then bought a Kindle and love that one. My daughter has my old Sony ereader and she became a fan and bought a Kindle and passed the Sony ereader to her mother-in-law. Now, I have a Nook and a Kindle. I love both and they each have so much content that I really cannot part with the Kindle yet. I'm glad this FL is in digital format because the book will go with me everywhere and I can read it anytime I can catch some time.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I totally agree with you, maxcat. I love the fact that I have a choice about reading when I am away from home; I can pick any number of books, and since I go back and forth between memoir, fiction, travelogue, and short story, this is important.

 

I also belong to a local book club; there is only a minor problem. The books on my kindle have "locations" but I can print my notes; nook has pages, but they don't correspond to regular book pages either (since I can adjust the font size the words take more or less space) and they can't be printed out (at least I haven't spent much time exploring that aspect). So I continue to put all my reference material, my notes, my thoughts into a reading journal. To be able to share with the other book club members I write down chapters and approx. location within chapter. When I sit at a cafe I write by hand and later transfer to the journal on my computer.Which is not a bad thing since I commit things to memory more easily when I write them down.

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
Posts: 160
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

Hi Sunitcloud

Thank you for the good wishes, I'm so tired. I'm blessed, my church  and my children are helping. My move was needed, No more yards to take care of and central heat and air. Finally getting a little spoiled in my retired years.

I would have throw rugs everywhere, much easier then moving books and cases...:smileyhappy:

I'm so looking forward to sitting with my yarn and books. I want to catalog my books as I unpack them. I think I'll use Excel 'cause you can alphabetize them by author or title.

Cora

Laughter is the best medicine

 

 

 

Hi Cora,

 

Nice seeing you here again. Well, it is I who was absent last time around. I wish you a good move. I should have new carpeting installed in the living room but can't bear to go beyond thinking about moving four bookcases out. Every time I plan on some kind of action in that department I shake my head, take a walk, and decide to accept my old shabby carpet the way I accept my 71-year-old look. Carpet and I have been together for 23 years; every once in a while we get cleaned up for a special occasion - which means I get the carpet cleaned and spring for a professional haircut instead doing both myself. I love my life, sitting in the middle of my living room at my computer, surrounded by books and knitting yarn in the middle of the night, tapping away at the keyboard. And yet, someday....... well I'll just have to take a trip to get away from the old carpet.