Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

How to Enroll (ENROLLMENT IS NOW CLOSED)

[ Edited ]

You will receive a free eBook and access to the discussion with the author. The eBooks will placed in your digital lockers and the discussion will begin on May 31st.

Please only enroll if you're going to participate in the discussion.

We do require that you leave a customer review (good or bad!) for the book.

Here is how to enroll:

1. Sign in 
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in from the link in the upper left of this page. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book. If you are having trouble signing in, please click here for more information.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can create an account by clicking on the register link in the upper right of this page. It's easy, and it's free.

2. Submit your information  
Now that you are signed into your account, click on the small envelope icon that appears to the right of your name below B&N Community. Click on New Message* and enter the following information into the window, as described below:

Send To -

Writing-Circle

Subject --

Your Message --
Your email addressd that is connected to your B&N account (Note: we do not need your address).

Click "Send Message"

* Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in Preferences > Display & Privacy Settings.

Note the following:

• This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to another account.
  • Be sure to give us all the information required and do not include any other text in this message other than what is requested.
  • These free books are limited, only one per account, per person, please. We will stop taking requests once we run out.
  • Finally, please do not post the requested information on the boards. Your information should only go into a private message.

You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message, not via email. It may take up to a week before this confirmation arrives.

Be sure to go to the "Welcome and Introduction" thread and say Hello!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on!

Contributor
MiamiCyn
0 Kudos

Re: How to Enroll

I would love to participate but The Writing Circle is not available for the nook :-(

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi MiamiCyn,

Paul's introduction at the top tells us that "The Writing Circle" is also for the nook.

"To participate, you'll need to set up an account with a valid credit card (It won't be charged) and you'll also have to download the FREE B&N eReader, which works on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, and nook of course!"

MiamiCyn wrote:

I would love to participate but The Writing Circle is not available for the nook :-(

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
deblynn
0 Kudos

I tried to enroll in this but it won't accept my email...it is the email I use for Barnes & Noble...my preferences allow private messenger...why won't this work?

Thanks, Debra

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

deblynn wrote:

I tried to enroll in this but it won't accept my email...it is the email I use for Barnes & Noble...my preferences allow private messenger...why won't this work?

Thanks, Debra

You need to send a Private Message. It's the envelope to the right of your name under B&N Community.

Reader 4
Jakabooboo

I just completed the sign up process but seriously, this took forever to figure out. I don't know why, for sure. Maybe some screen shots would help? I think it all started when I began looking for the little white envelope. It's not on the page I was on. I kept clicking and clicking, trying to find the envelope...

Frequent Contributor
deblynn
0 Kudos

I did compose a private message...and this was what I received:  "There is no user with the login name: Writing Circle Note: The invalid login names have been removed from the "Send To" list."

Contributor
doggiemom2
0 Kudos

I signed up, but I'm curious as to how to book will be able to get onto my Nook? Do I download the eReader for the PC? And then what? How do I move it to my Nook?
~♥~Amy~♥~
:smileytongue: "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." Roger Carras
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deblynn,

The username for the sign-ups is "Writing-Circle".  If you tried to send without the hyphen the PM system thought you were sending to two users - "Writing" and "Circle" - who don't exist.

deblynn wrote:

I did compose a private message...and this was what I received:  "There is no user with the login name: Writing Circle Note: The invalid login names have been removed from the "Send To" list."

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The ebook will be placed in your online locker (the ebooks library associated with your BN.com account).  Once it is available you should be able to download it to your nook like your other BN content.

doggiemom2 wrote:

I signed up, but I'm curious as to how to book will be able to get onto my Nook? Do I download the eReader for the PC? And then what? How do I move it to my Nook?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass

Such a shame that this is an e-book only. I enjoyed participating in many FL selections; however I am "old school" and fully believe that books should be read as they have been created for centuries and not on an electronic screen.

Does this mean that Barnes & Noble is done with mailing out ARC copies for future FL selections?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Frequent Contributor
fordmg

I am going to have to pass on this one.  I don't have a Nook or any of the other fancy downloads.  I don't spend enough time on my computer that I would want to sit and read the book for hours at a time at my computer.   I guess I am old fashioned.  I still like to carry the book around with me to read when I get a chance.

MG

Inspired Contributor
goingeast

Hello,

I am in agreement with those here who say they are old fashioned and prefer the traditional way of reading a book, that is, in hand.   I sit at a computer most of the day, so coming home at night to sit at a computer again, to read, is not my idea of relaxing.  I like to read in bed or on the sofa and I am not going to sit a computer or use any other electronic nonsense to read a book.  If B&N is only going to do electronic books from now on, I would like to know.  For now, sadly, I'm going to have to pass.

Thanks for allowing me to participate in First Look.  It's been very nice until now.

Ann

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM

I will be sorry to miss this First Look offering as I, too, am still of the old school who likes to hold the book.  It's unfortunate that you can't do it both ways - for the papered and the paperless!

Jane M.
Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal
0 Kudos

I could be wrong here but under the title listing there is no description whatsoever as to what this book is acutally about.  Free is my favorite four letter word (next to cash) but I would really like to get, at the very least, a vague idea as to what is in store for me before I decide to read something.

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

NJMetal,

If you click on the thread "About the Writing Circle and Corinne Demas" on the main Writing Circle discussion board, you'll find a description of the book.

Contributor
Stellaluna99

I'm also bowing out of this one and am completely disappointed, because this looks like an interesting read. I will not purchase a Nook or any other electronic device to get my book "fix".

I should say that I'm not surprised. I walked into B&N last night and there is a huge display in the front selling the Nook and Nook covers. A large table full of new novels used to sit there. The salesman tried to explain how much I more I would get for my money, but I'm sorry, curling up with some computer generated lit up piece of electronics is not worth saving a few dollars. Besides, are authors supposed to sign the screen at signings? :smileywink:

I spend hundreds every year on books and will continue to do so, especially if an E-reader is my alternative.  If this is the way B&N is going, then I may have to start using Abebooks to continue building my library. I just hope there are enough of us bibliophiles out here that some publishers will continue to actually publish books.

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

I signed up just a bit ago.

I consider myself "old school" with my beloved books, too.  However, I absolutely love my nook!  It was a Christmas gift, and I really didn't think I would like it because I am very tactile and love the feel of holding my book in my hands.

I will still continue with my "real" books, but my nook just can't be beat sometimes (vacation, heading to a solo lunch, ease of carrying everywhere with me).  I'll still love both ways to read.

I'm glad the FLC is trying an e-book, but I'll be just as happy with a "real" book again next time. 

Happy day, everyone.  :-)

Contributor
doggiemom2
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa_W.  :smileyhappy:

~♥~Amy~♥~
:smileytongue: "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." Roger Carras
Frequent Contributor
deblynn
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa...it worked!

Deb