Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Questions for Corinne Demas

Corinne Demas officially joins our discussion this week! Please welcome her to First Look, and help her to get comfortable on the boards. 

If you have questions about the Writer's Circle, please post by replying to this message. Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Corinne Demas

Thank you, Rachel and welcome Corrinne.  As I write this it's just about off to work so it will take a bit before I can get back to your responses.  I have asked this question in other posts, but truly this is the proper place to ask.

Now, about that intro....  How did you come to that topic, those characters and just throw on the brakes, run into the wall and introduce us to Nancy?

Speaking on Nancy..... - which Nancy?  Nancy the first chapter or the 3rd and 4th chapters of the same name. I have read novellas with characters as section heading but not chapter by chapter.  How did you come up with using their names instead of other titles or just numbers?

Ok, so I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet. It sounded better in my head....

John S

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning Corinne..I finished Nancy Part 2..First I would like to say Thank you for writing such a tightly woven Novel.,my opinion.It seems to me that some of your Characters,have been in my life as well.Parts of them to be be more precise..I am still not sure where you are taking us,but look forward to finding out.I like being off balance when reading such an analytical book..Dissecting all the players.The preface has given me food for thought,and yes sometimes I feel its Nancys Novel..Then I'm not sure...Hope you are Enjoying your experience here.,Its different than anything most Authors who have been with us have experienced....Now for my question..Are you In a Writing Group? Or Groups?..Have we as FirstLook Readers surprised you with all of our posts and Ideas? .Best SusanVtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the First Look group, Corinne! We are so happy to have you with us to discuss your book. I have read up to page 167 for this week, so haven't finished your book. My question is about the "readings" each of the authors do. Are these simply random topics or are these actual stories we might see from you one day? Again, welcome and thank you for your time.  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

Good Morning Corinne,

I would like to thank you for allowing us to have the "First Look" at the book. I am enjoying the book very much.  The more I found out about each person, the harder it is to put the book down.  It has been hard being held to reading schedule, but I'm stopped at page 167,  sitting on my hands, trying to wait patiently to  find out what happens next.  I have the question as  DStaf, in regard to the readings done within the circle.

DSaff wrote:

Welcome to the First Look group, Corinne! We are so happy to have you with us to discuss your book. I have read up to page 167 for this week, so haven't finished your book. My question is about the "readings" each of the authors do. Are these simply random topics or are these actual stories we might see from you one day? Again, welcome and thank you for your time.  :smileyhappy:

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Dear Readers—

It’s been so interesting for me to hear your responses to The Writing Circle so far, and I’ve been eagerly waiting to join your group. I’m excited now to be an active part of this lively discussion. Thank you for all the time you’ve been investing in my novel. I’m looking forward to your questions and thoughts.

For those of you who’d like to know a bit more about me, you can check out my website  www.corinnedemas.comThe Writing Circle now has its own Facebook page. I just got my first copy of the finished hardback book, and you can see a photo of me there, in raptures, opening the envelope from Hyperion.

--Corinne                    

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing your time with us.

1-I was wondering how you developed the idea for this novel. Are any of the characters drawn from people you have met?

2-So, many of the characters have dysfunction in their lives. Is this how you generally view the world today, rife with problems because of societal issues?

You touch on so many current concerns that face, or have faced, all of us today. I am interested in finding out how they will all come together in the end but I am pacing myself and reading along with the group so I will have to wait! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Corinne:

I am enjoying your book very much. I find the characters very interesting and very true to life. Each one of us, I am sure, can pick out people we know and have interacted with from anyone of your characters.

I have read up to pg. 167 also, but find it very hard to stop at that point. Can't wait to find out what develops next and where the story is going!

The preface has me curious in regards to the house and driveway scene. Still trying to figure out which characters are involved.

One question I have in regards to the characters. Did the writing group you belong to, when you were writing this book, advise you in regards to how you should introduce the characters?I think they are very well developed and very interesting characters but at times it was hard to keep them straight without making notes. Once I felt comfortable with the characters then they became like old friends.

So great to interact with you and thanks again for taking the time to do so!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Welcome Corinne,

I am glad you have been reading posts along with all of us.

I was slow on understanding the preface as part of Nancy's novel, that is just me. That is why I like a group like this to help me (thanks Debbie).

I have just finished the second section, through page 166. I was confused as to where the novel was going to go with the set of diverse characters. But after reading the second section and seeing all the drama and how the characters are connected, I have an inkling, but will wait to read the next section at the end of this week.

The book is very different for me, not one I would casually pick up to read. So it has me intrigued right now.

My questions is do you belong to a writing circle and if you do are the people all writing one type of thing (like mystery, drama, scifi) or what are they writing?

Thanks pen21

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Corinne,

Thanks so much for sharing your novel with us; I've enjoyed reading it a lot. It seems that you write for a variety of different audiences across a number of genres (which must have prepared you for writing about your writing circle, where the characters have a broad range of specialities). Do you prefer writing in a particular genre? What are some of the differences between, plotting a story for kids, a novel for adults, or a collection of poetry?

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Hi Susan--

Thank you for your remarks. Yes, I'm enjoying my experience greatly-- it's fascinating to hear what so many different readers are thinking about The Writing Circle.  And yes, there have been some surprises.

I'm currently in a writing group that has heard this novel--and offered feedback on it-- chapter by chapter.  (They 're all thanked in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.)  And I'm also part of an informal group of writers that meets weekly in a cafe, and have been a member of a number of writing groups in the past.  Of course all of these experiences have offered me ideas for my novel, but the characters in The Writing Circle are entirely fictitious. Someone asked about this on the Facebook page for The Writing Circle, and one of the members of my current group immediately confirmed that there is no similarity!

--Corinne

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Thank you for your time, too!

I loved writing the writers' book sections and ended writing more for each of them than ended up in the actual novel.  But I don't think I'll be writing complete books for these characters.  I'm really not a historian, like Virginia, or a biographer, like Bernard.  I do write poetry though, but I had to "Gillianize" the poetry selections she reads because her style is different from mine. 

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

This is just what every writer wants to hear!  Thank you!

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Thanks for your great questions.

My characters are all drawn from people I meet-- but it's a bit from one and a bit from another.  No character is based entirely on someone real.

Because this is a novel, naturally I'm drawing on some of the "dysfunctional" (or eccentric) aspects of the characters-- there's not much conflict or "story" when everyone is functioning perfectly. 

But what do you think about Rachel?  or Virginia?  and Nancy?  Are they "dysfunctional"?

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Mymembers of my current  writing group publish novels, poetry, children's books, fantasy and non-fiction. You can find a photo of them on my website and links to their websites as well.

Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Hi Corrine,

Thank you so much for sharing your novel with our group.  It is very exciting to get a first look at your wonderful novel.  I was completely hooked after the prologue and am still trying to figure out who those characters are.  I have finished the first two thirds of the novel and it was hard to put it down, but I did!  I would hate to inadvertantly spoil something for another reader.  Congratulations on the publication of your book and its future success!

I have a slightly different question for you.  What did you like to read as a child?  I just finished reading a book with my six year old daughter that had us in laughing like crazy and that put me in mind of a few books I loved as a child.  That, in turn, made me a little curious as to what you liked. 

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor
rujama
0 Kudos

Corinne-Demas wrote:

My characters are all drawn from people I meet-- but it's a bit from one and a bit from another.  No character is based entirely on someone real.

Because this is a novel, naturally I'm drawing on some of the "dysfunctional" (or eccentric) aspects of the characters-- there's not much conflict or "story" when everyone is functioning perfectly. 

But what do you think about Rachel?  or Virginia?  and Nancy?  Are they "dysfunctional"?

Hi Corinne, 

I am really enjoying reading your novel along with all the other people in First Look. It's amazing to me, and always has been, how different people can read the same book but have different experiences doing it. 

My opinion on Rachel is, yes I think she has some dysfunctional tendencies. She has to be the pleaser no matter what it is doing to her emotionally. She's always striving for her fathers attention but Bernard isn't much of a father at this point. 

Virginia is probably one of the most rounded characters so far in the book. She seems to have her act together, at least that is my viewing of her. 

Nancy I feel is so my dysfunctional as afraid of being hurt again. Being crush the first time around seemed to have played with her emotions a lot. She reminds me of a young Virginia though, motherly and caring. 

I have not finished the book yet, I'm keeping with the reading schedule but this far into the book I don't feel that there is enough time to tie things all together, will we be seeing these characters in future books possibly? 

Jacquie

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

rujama wrote:

Corinne-Demas wrote:

Hi Corinne, 

I am really enjoying reading your novel along with all the other people in First Look. It's amazing to me, and always has been, how different people can read the same book but have different experiences doing it. 

My opinion on Rachel is, yes I think she has some dysfunctional tendencies. She has to be the pleaser no matter what it is doing to her emotionally. She's always striving for her fathers attention but Bernard isn't much of a father at this point. 

Virginia is probably one of the most rounded characters so far in the book. She seems to have her act together, at least that is my viewing of her. 

Nancy I feel is so my dysfunctional as afraid of being hurt again. Being crush the first time around seemed to have played with her emotions a lot. She reminds me of a young Virginia though, motherly and caring. 

I have not finished the book yet, I'm keeping with the reading schedule but this far into the book I don't feel that there is enough time to tie things all together, will we be seeing these characters in future books possibly? 

Jacquie

Thank you, Jacquie, for your thoughtful response to my question.

My next novel is about a different set of characters, but I certainly think about returning to the characters in The Writing Circle sometime in the future.   When you've finished the novel, please let me know whose story you'd like to have me expand.

Inspired Contributor
Sherry_Young
0 Kudos

Corrine,

Welcome to our own version of a Writing Circle - in this case not all of us are writers, but avid readers.

Do you feel a bit like any of the characters in the Circle through this discussion on First Look?

We've had some discussion questions about the authors and the content of their writing being personal to them. Is this novel something you closely relate to personally?

Thank you for sharing with us!

Sherry Young

Indiana

Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.
— Judy Blume
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Corrine,

Are you as an author pressured to keep your books less than a certain length?

I notice in the novel Adam is criticized for the verbosity and weight, in pounds of paper, of his novels, both the previously unpublished ranch family one and his current project.

The reason I ask is because I felt the ending of "The Writing Circle" was a little abrupt. I wanted to know more about what happened to the characters, especially the one responsible (who I will avoid naming so as not to spoil it for people who haven't read that far yet).