Author
Corinne-Demas

Thanks to all my wonderful readers!

Dear Readers—

A fantasy that I’ve had as a writer is to be able to connect with all my invisible, anonymous readers—to be able to watch over their shoulders while they read what I’ve written and hear what they’re thinking.  The First Look Book Club has been magical for me.  Not only have I felt connected with a dedicated group of readers, but I’ve been able to listen to the exciting discussion you’ve been having among yourselves. What a privilege! This has been an exhilarating and  strenuous experience for me. I thought I’d devote an hour or so to answering questions at the end of every day, but I quickly found I was racing to the site first thing in the morning, staying up late at night to read it, and peeking at it all day long.  I haven’t wanted to miss one word of it. 

My thanks to Barnes and Noble for making this writer’s fantasy come to life. And my thanks to my remarkable editor Sarah Landis and publisher, Ellen Archer, for taking part in this literary adventure, to Paul for his dexterous managing of the entire project, to Rachel whose brilliant questions inspired so much thought, and, most especially, to you, all my first readers.  I thank you for putting so much time into my novel, for your open-minded reading, insightful comments, intriguing questions, and genuine support and kindness. You’ve all had a profound impact on me.

And now I’ve been asked to add a note to you from Nancy, Gillian, Bernard, Chris, Adam, Virginia, Rachel, and Paul:  “Thank you for believing in us.”

I hope some of you will become fans of The Writing Circle on Facebook and, if you like, add your recommendation for the book there.  Those of you who are on Twitter, please follow me. I hope you’ll all ask your local library to order a copy of book.

Please check out my website, www.corinnedemas.com for other books of mine that you might like (some of you, I know, have discovered my memoir about my New York City childhood, Growing up in Stuyvesant Town, 1948—1968) and for future books.  (A sequel to The Writing Circle perhaps?)

I’ll be doing a number of book events for The Writing Circle  —and they’re all posted on my website at: http://www.corinnedemas.com/events.htm

I’d love to meet you all in person, and I hope those of you who live nearby will come and say hello. 

My thanks to all of you who had to conquer the peculiarities of reading a complex novel like this as an Ebook. I know that there were issues with the font that made it impossible for you to tell when parts of the text were set off from the main narrative, and I know how hard it was not to be able to flip back easily through the pages. Hyperion did a beautiful job with the printed book, so do take a look at the actual hardback when it comes to bookstores on July 6th.

I went into this literary adventure fully expecting that The Writing Circle—just like any book—wouldn’t appeal to all readers. I’m grateful to those of you who put in the time to read my novel, even though it isn’t the kind of book you would choose to read for yourself, and I appreciate the honesty and tact you put into your comments.

I hope that those of you who found yourselves caught up in the doings of the Leopardi Circle, will recommend my novel to your friends. As you know, in today’s publishing world there is nothing more important for the success of a book than word of mouth. I would love to have  The Writing Circle  find all the readers who will appreciate it—and for that, I depend on you.  

What will I do now that The First Look Book Club has come to an end?

Write, of course!  I’m finishing a new novel and will be sending it to my editor soon.

I’ll miss you!

Warmest wishes,

Corinne                

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to all my wonderful readers!

Thank you, Corinne. Your time, effort, and The Writing Circle (of course!) has made for an insightful journey into the minds and sometimes mayhem of writers and the writing life.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Corinne, what a beautiful letter! Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to meet you and your characters. Thank you for the time you have spent reading and responding. It has been a pleasure and I can't wait for the FB and Twitter updates about your future work! Best wishes. :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

What a lovely way for me to beign the morning!  Thank you!

--

DSaff wrote:

Corinne, what a beautiful letter! Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to meet you and your characters. Thank you for the time you have spent reading and responding. It has been a pleasure and I can't wait for the FB and Twitter updates about your future work! Best wishes. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
cynthiaoh
0 Kudos

Thank you for allowing us to be the first group to read and comment on your book.  It was a great experience!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Corinne,

Thank you for joining us here. I am really glad we were able to do a First Look as an eBook. Remember to keep checking this board. Not everyone can keep to the schedule. There will be more posts as First Lookers finish the book, but also as your book is released. This board will still be here for people to search and find.  Thank you for sharing your book with us.

Luanne

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

Thank you, Corinne for such a gracious note.  Here we were wondering what you were thinking as you wrote it but not what we were thinking as we were reading it!  Something new to learn every day - no matter how hard I try!  This was a myriad of firsts - a first book club at BN for an ebook and a chance to preview your novel. 

Now that it's over let me just say this - I do not hate Gillian!  I did not find her to be the antagonist or even a hated character.  Despite Nancy's voice being the most dominant and each character having their own voice, I found Gillian to be the most complex, emotionally constrained, restrained and tortured character.  I truly believed she held back from telling 'The Circle' of her novel not because she stole it.  No, indeed.  I felt she held back because she's a poet and not a novelist.  She wanted to do something and show her own circle she could do it - do it quicker and even perhaps better.  The release party being my proof for that statement.  Truly an introvert, deep thinker tormented by how men related to her and other women who saw her as beautiful and not as a person, her depth of emotion was her personal hell.  A DSM-IV category comes to mind when I think of her.  She could be in treatment forever and not make progress because she doesn't think there's something wrong with her.  She'd seek treatment to deal with what she did to Paul but never survive the treatment.

So, am I on target here, Corinne or where the others who posted on the Gillian thread?

Thank you for sharing.  I joined your Writing Circle Facebook page the day it was announced here.

John S.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing the Leopardi Circle with all of us. You certainly made them come alive and become a part of our lives each day. Wishing you all the best and keep writing; you really are good!

Aine

Reading in Reading, PA

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Corinne,

That was a beautiful and very touching "thank you" letter you wrote to all of us!  I especially liked the note from the cast of characters.  I checked out your website and I guess the last question I have for you is did you do a signing at the Borders in NYC because Gillian had her reading at  Borders in NYC?  (Only kidding.)  I wish you the best of luck in the future.  I will keep checking your website and if you are in the NY/NJ/PA/or Mid-Atlantic states area, I will try my best to be there.

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

Corinne, 

Thank you for your book, and for taking the time to respond to us. On this side of the fence, it is a rare treat to be able to communicate directly with the author! While I am one of those people who would probably not have picked up this book at a bookstore, I am grateful for the opportunity to have read and discussed it, and enjoyed it very much. And yes, I would recommend it to friends. This feels so much like my mother talking - "You don't know what it looks like until you try it on!" Of course, she was talking about clothes, but it is so true for books as well.

Thanks again!

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

That would be wonderful!

--Corinne

literature wrote:

Hi Corinne,

That was a beautiful and very touching "thank you" letter you wrote to all of us!  I especially liked the note from the cast of characters.  I checked out your website and I guess the last question I have for you is did you do a signing at the Borders in NYC because Gillian had her reading at  Borders in NYC?  (Only kidding.)  I wish you the best of luck in the future.  I will keep checking your website and if you are in the NY/NJ/PA/or Mid-Atlantic states area, I will try my best to be there.

Contributor
rujama
0 Kudos

Thank you Corinne! It was pleasure and a lot of fun being able to read your book and share the experience with all the wonderful people on the forum. 

Jacquie 

Contributor
tumbling_block
0 Kudos

Corinne:  Thank you for sharing your book with us.  I enjoyed reading The Writing Circle!

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

I love hearing this!

It's what I tell my students. 

I once had to teach Dickens' Bleak House  to a class of students who were not English majors and were taking it to fulfill a distribution requirement. Some of them ended up enjoying it-- and becoming majors!

--Corinne

elaine_hf wrote:

Corinne, 

Thank you for your book, and for taking the time to respond to us. On this side of the fence, it is a rare treat to be able to communicate directly with the author! While I am one of those people who would probably not have picked up this book at a bookstore, I am grateful for the opportunity to have read and discussed it, and enjoyed it very much. And yes, I would recommend it to friends. This feels so much like my mother talking - "You don't know what it looks like until you try it on!" Of course, she was talking about clothes, but it is so true for books as well.

Thanks again!

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

Corinne,

I understand that you teach at Mt. Holyoke? My daughter is a Smithie! I'd love to visit when I'm in the area, if you ever have the time.

Thanks again for sharing your novel!

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Contributor
WhyDoUPickOnMe
0 Kudos

Thank you Corrine, for allowing us to read your novel before the general public.  Keep writing, I will look for your next book...

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm on sabbatical next year, but the year after, if your daughter is still at Smith, she can take a class with me via 5-colleges.

If you're visiting her in the fall, come to my event for the Writing Circle at the Odyssey Bookshop in South Hadley on September 22 at 7pm.

Happy summer!

--Corinne

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Thanks so muchKnowing I have supportive readers out there waiting for the next novel gives me a real boost as

WhyDoUPickOnMe wrote:

Thank you Corrine, for allowing us to read your novel before the general publicKeep writing, I will look for your next book...

I'm working on it.

--Corinne

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Corinne,

I myself fell as though I am the one to thank you for allowing us to read your new book.  It certainly had a lot of twists and turns and I will definitely be following you on facebook.  Thank to all involved who brought this novel to our attention.  It was another great read.

Corinne-Demas wrote:

Dear Readers—

A fantasy that I’ve had as a writer is to be able to connect with all my invisible, anonymous readers—to be able to watch over their shoulders while they read what I’ve written and hear what they’re thinking.  The First Look Book Club has been magical for me.  Not only have I felt connected with a dedicated group of readers, but I’ve been able to listen to the exciting discussion you’ve been having among yourselves. What a privilege! This has been an exhilarating and  strenuous experience for me. I thought I’d devote an hour or so to answering questions at the end of every day, but I quickly found I was racing to the site first thing in the morning, staying up late at night to read it, and peeking at it all day long.  I haven’t wanted to miss one word of it. 

My thanks to Barnes and Noble for making this writer’s fantasy come to life. And my thanks to my remarkable editor Sarah Landis and publisher, Ellen Archer, for taking part in this literary adventure, to Paul for his dexterous managing of the entire project, to Rachel whose brilliant questions inspired so much thought, and, most especially, to you, all my first readers.  I thank you for putting so much time into my novel, for your open-minded reading, insightful comments, intriguing questions, and genuine support and kindness. You’ve all had a profound impact on me.

And now I’ve been asked to add a note to you from Nancy, Gillian, Bernard, Chris, Adam, Virginia, Rachel, and Paul:  “Thank you for believing in us.”

I hope some of you will become fans of The Writing Circle on Facebook and, if you like, add your recommendation for the book there.  Those of you who are on Twitter, please follow me. I hope you’ll all ask your local library to order a copy of book.

Please check out my website, www.corinnedemas.com for other books of mine that you might like (some of you, I know, have discovered my memoir about my New York City childhood, Growing up in Stuyvesant Town, 1948—1968) and for future books.  (A sequel to The Writing Circle perhaps?)

I’ll be doing a number of book events for The Writing Circle  —and they’re all posted on my website at: http://www.corinnedemas.com/events.htm

I’d love to meet you all in person, and I hope those of you who live nearby will come and say hello. 

My thanks to all of you who had to conquer the peculiarities of reading a complex novel like this as an Ebook. I know that there were issues with the font that made it impossible for you to tell when parts of the text were set off from the main narrative, and I know how hard it was not to be able to flip back easily through the pages. Hyperion did a beautiful job with the printed book, so do take a look at the actual hardback when it comes to bookstores on July 6th.

I went into this literary adventure fully expecting that The Writing Circle—just like any book—wouldn’t appeal to all readers. I’m grateful to those of you who put in the time to read my novel, even though it isn’t the kind of book you would choose to read for yourself, and I appreciate the honesty and tact you put into your comments.

I hope that those of you who found yourselves caught up in the doings of the Leopardi Circle, will recommend my novel to your friends. As you know, in today’s publishing world there is nothing more important for the success of a book than word of mouth. I would love to have  The Writing Circle  find all the readers who will appreciate it—and for that, I depend on you.  

What will I do now that The First Look Book Club has come to an end?

Write, of course!  I’m finishing a new novel and will be sending it to my editor soon.

I’ll miss you!

Warmest wishes,

Corinne                

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Corinne , thanks so much for sharing this whole month with us. You became a part of my family for a month and I will remember you fondly, thank you so much for joining us on this adventure and I can't wait to read another book of yours!

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers