Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: The Writing Circle: First Impressions

Hi Maxcat,

I found the timeframe when Nancy's father was a doctor.  Page 94, paragraph in the middle starting with "And then he told her about the dead baby...before he married her mother, he'd been a doctor

I tried to figure out all these ages, really don't think it's Joe but have to finish the next chapters for the new discussion.  Wish I could read the book on the sofa instead of sitting in front of a screen!  Gillian keeps tugging at my gut. 

Literature

maxcat wrote:

Interesting point, literature. One I have not thought of as I thought Chris was the only one with two kids. It's hard to put a time frame on this event as I don't think it is mentioned about how long Nancy's Father  had taught school. I'll have to see if I can find that chapter.

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

What do you make of the early piece of a story we are given at the opening of the novel?

The prologue of the novel is heart-wrenching but also intriguing.  The couple losing their baby is so very sad and tragic.  However, the allusion that the doctor is finished after this is quite interesting.  It makes me wonder just what exactly happened to make him want to move on from his career as a doctor.  There has to be quite a bit more to his story.

Whose story might this be, and what does it lead you think might happen with it?

I think the doctor in the prologue is Nancy's dad; however, I have no idea how his story is going to play out (if at all) at this point.  Learning more about the characters in the prologue is what I am still most interested in reading more about.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Given what I've read so far, it seems logical that the first part is Nancy's book, however, when I first read it, I felt that it went into too much detail describing the lobby, way more information than was necessary.  Which, after reading more of the book, got me to thinking.  The others criticize Adam for his verbosity and I found this section very verbose, so is it Nancy's book or something Adam wrote?  Unless of course, there is some reason for all that description that will reveal itself later in the book.

None of the characters really grab me, like others that first snippet of a story, so far, seems to be way more interesting.

And unfortunately, I have no problem putting this book down and reading something else.  I'm try to stay somewhat on schedule, so I have to keep putting it aside.  I generally find that very hard, once I start a book, I don't want to put it down to read something else, and many books can get me to neglect just about everything to finish the book.  This one, I'll pick it up again and finish it, but I'm not sure, if it wasn't for being part of this group, that I would.  It's just not grabbing me and compelling me to want to finish it.

Reader 2
taraisarockstar
0 Kudos

The first line of the prologue, as well as the title of the book, led me to believe that I was reading someone's writing for the "Writing Circle."  I think it's intriguing that the author used "you" and "whoever" and "probably" in this section because it tells the reader what is happening but leaves so much room for questions. It sets the scene without any tangible characters.

taraisarockstar.wordpress.com

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Debbie,

You have to work on the kids. My son and his wife surprised me with one (combination Christmas and Birthday and whatever). It was much more than expected. I wasn't too sure  about it to start with. But I love it. If you want help, I could help email and regular mail hints to them.

pen21

Thanks Luanne, I'll keep that in mind

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

I could not agree more.  I have had trouble even finishing the two sections we've read so far without wanting to change to another book on my nook.  My standard rule is 3 chapters (mileage varies according to the author as some are notorious for short, short chapters - Dan Brown, I'm looking at you), and this book would not have made it beyond that were it not for being in this group.

bklvr896 wrote:

And unfortunately, I have no problem putting this book down and reading something else.  I'm try to stay somewhat on schedule, so I have to keep putting it aside.  I generally find that very hard, once I start a book, I don't want to put it down to read something else, and many books can get me to neglect just about everything to finish the book.  This one, I'll pick it up again and finish it, but I'm not sure, if it wasn't for being part of this group, that I would.  It's just not grabbing me and compelling me to want to finish it.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

I, too, struggled to connect to the characters.  I ended up reading the book fairly continuously as I felt that otherwise I wouldn't pick it back up.  I felt more invested in the initial doctor's story, and it seemed as though there was a veneer over the "actual" characters.  Perhaps due to the jumping back and forth between them, perhaps because there were a number of reasons to dislike them - I just couldn't identify with them or feel that they were real.  The whole book left me with a very empty and unfulfilled feeling at the end.  Because of that, though there were interesting literary poinrts, it was hard to make myself go back and look at particular sections for making comments in this group. 

Interesting, too, as on the Nook it's a lot more difficult to page back and try to find something.  Generally I read a book through and it's not an issue, but if you want to go back and clarify a history or look at an interesting literary point it's a bit more laborious. That's about the only thing I miss about paper books!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Adenium wrote:

I, too, struggled to connect to the characters.  I ended up reading the book fairly continuously as I felt that otherwise I wouldn't pick it back up.  I felt more invested in the initial doctor's story, and it seemed as though there was a veneer over the "actual" characters.  Perhaps due to the jumping back and forth between them, perhaps because there were a number of reasons to dislike them - I just couldn't identify with them or feel that they were real.  The whole book left me with a very empty and unfulfilled feeling at the end.  Because of that, though there were interesting literary poinrts, it was hard to make myself go back and look at particular sections for making comments in this group. 

Interesting, too, as on the Nook it's a lot more difficult to page back and try to find something.  Generally I read a book through and it's not an issue, but if you want to go back and clarify a history or look at an interesting literary point it's a bit more laborious. That's about the only thing I miss about paper books!

I felt the same at the end, like the book needed another 50 or so pages to really wrap everything up satisfactorily.

I liked the story but it ended to abruptly.

I also agree about the difficulty in flipping back to previously read section on the nook. Maybe next time I'll try setting bookmarks at significant points in a book club book for easy referral.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa

General comments - This First Look with Paul & Rachel as moderators, reminds me of college days....  there's the outline and class assignments and that inner knowledge that you have when the 'professors' know what is coming that the students don't know what's around the corner.  The questions that were put to us by the moderators -  knowing full well what was coming were very interesting when you know the answers, right?  Think about it - look at all the "answers" the 'class' gave - what was that dual prologue about?  Which one has to do with the story; I didn't get it; why Nancy?;  Who's the doctor?;  Who lost the baby? - there's no characters that talked about babies;.

To all those questions - answered in our second assignment in the next Nancy chapter, I say - Brilliant!

Took me back to those heady days of freely questioning where things were going when taken in pieces or out of context.  Nice job BN Moderators and thanks again, Corinne and Sarah for sharing your material with us.  Takes me back indeed.

John S. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, literature. Good work investigating there. My thought keeps creeping back to someone in the writing group who may have had two boys through an affair. But it is just a thought. Keep reading. I'm on my last 50 pages and it is getting good but still murky. I have a feeling we aren't going to find out until the last 2 chapters!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

We might not ever find out who the two boys are if it is the fictional account that Nancy is writing about her father. This part is set in a different script so it has to be somebody's writing (doesn't Nancy read her first chapter for The Writing Circle?)

The way this is written, it would make an interesting beginning for the author's next novel.

maxcat wrote:

Hi, literature. Good work investigating there. My thought keeps creeping back to someone in the writing group who may have had two boys through an affair. But it is just a thought. Keep reading. I'm on my last 50 pages and it is getting good but still murky. I have a feeling we aren't going to find out until the last 2 chapters!

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I so agree with you with this book. I have try to read this book and I keep feeling that I would like to put this down and read thing else. I can't get into this book. Now that I have finish my final yesterday. I started re-reading this book and I don't know I still not getting this story.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I agree with you whole heartily.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

When will The Writing Circle be available as an old-fashioned book; the kind that has ink on paper?

Aine

Reading in Reading, PA

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

It is available for pre-ordering. The B&N website says that the publishing date is July 6, 2010.

The Writing Circle  

AIRKNITTER wrote:

When will The Writing Circle be available as an old-fashioned book; the kind that has ink on paper?

Aine

Reading in Reading, PA

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

I believe that the story at the beginning of the novel is written by Nancy since she is the one who is involved in all the hospital subjects, the way she talks about the doctor, the couple with the baby and describes the situation clearly shows that it was written by someone who has an idea of what working in a hospital means and the way doctors are, the story could also be written by Chris after his colonoscopy experience and all his news background he's had, however I believe the emotional level with the dead baby gives it the characteristics of a woman , so Nancy wrote it.

I believe that the story will actually reflect a situation that happened to someone in the writing circle however we will begin to find out who this was near the end , I believe that the story will be revealed at the end of the novel where it wil describe what happened with a couple within the writing circle and Nancy will be the third view person narrating it.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Sunltcloud for taking the time to find this information and then to post it on First Look.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Contributor
kimerella40
0 Kudos

After reading the beginning I found myself thinking the book would be about the parents or the other kids as writers......or about the doctors life......

Contributor
norcalsheri
0 Kudos

What do you make of the early piece of a story we are given at the opening of the novel?

I was intrigued to find out what would happen next. I wanted to keep reading.

Whose story might this be, and what does it lead you think might happen with it?

After reading several chapters, I'm guessing it's Gillian. Sounds like something tragic is going to happen.

Reader
Louise9
0 Kudos

I'm having a slow start with this, I'm not finding as page turning as I thought it would be but i'm push to finish it and hope I change my mind on it.

As to the question about the preface: 

I'm hoping that it's about Nancy's father

:smileyhappy: