Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Re: The Writing Circle: Middle Chapters (Through "Nancy")

I did finish the book and it does all come together. I'm glad I read the whole book.

Vermontcozy wrote:

retromom wrote:

So far these characters don't do much for me. I dislike quite a few of them and the rest I don't really care about at this point. There seems to be so much going on that at this point I'm not sure what the plot is. I'm hoping that at some point in the book it will all make sense to me and come together.

Dear Beth,..It does come together..  Just let us know what you think after or whenever you post,how you feel/felt about  TWC..Thanks ,Susan ..I'm just a curious person..:  )

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

We've seen the homes of most of our characters: How to they reflect the characters themselves, their lifestyles, their personalities, their desires?

I think the homelives definately correspond to the characters. Nancy is the most comfortable in her home life and seemed to be the most comfortable well adjusted person. Gillian seemed to have a lot of insecurity, and deceit in her home life, and later showed it. Bernard seems easily cowed, and his home is the same.

Who has most surprised you in these chapters? Are there characters you were entirely wrong about? Who did you have pegged from first introduction? I feel like I had the characters pegged pretty early on. I didn't like Gillian, and through this point she has done nothing to change my mind. Nancy was my favorite character almost immediately, in that she seemed the most like a person I could see myself hangin out with.

Why does Paul walk all the way to his old house after talking with Rachel at The Academy? How does Paul fit in at school? How do you judge his actions?

I think that talking to Rachel made Paul feel appreciated, and loved. So he naturally assocaited those feelings with that place. Paul wants desperately to fit in there, so he does what he can to be one of the "popular kids." I see Paul as being a typical teenager.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

retromom wrote:

I did finish the book and it does all come together. I'm glad I read the whole book.

Vermontcozy wrote:

retromom wrote:

So far these characters don't do much for me. I dislike quite a few of them and the rest I don't really care about at this point. There seems to be so much going on that at this point I'm not sure what the plot is. I'm hoping that at some point in the book it will all make sense to me and come together.

Dear Beth,..It does come together..  Just let us know what you think after or whenever you post,how you feel/felt about  TWC..Thanks ,Susan ..I'm just a curious person..:  )

Dear Beth,So glad you finished TWC,As I had posted on a thread here ,I was on a Roller Coaster and then it all clicked.Corinne's post after I finished about our guestions about the preface,brought it all together for me as well,Hope to see you around The Boards..The August Fiction Club is reading :smileyvery-happy:rawing in the Dust" Author Zoe Klein ,I thought you might be interested..Have a good week Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

We've seen the homes of most of our characters: How to they reflect the characters themselves, their lifestyles, their personalities, their desires?

I believe that all of the homes reflect a time where there is a major change that is creating inestability in all the homes, In the case of Gillian I like very much that we get the chance to see his stepson's side of the story I believe that it shows Gillian which is a type of "Mystical" character

In the case of Gillian I believe that it is a key that we can get the chance to watch how her stepson sees what is going on and how she does. I believe that the main issue with Gillian will be Paul even though they get along ignoring each other I think there will come a time when they will have to deal with other and face their personal issues, I believe Paul will find out about Gillian's affair.

In the case of Virginia, Joe and her ex husband (sorry I'm bad with names) I believe Virginia has reached a mature age in which she no longer cares about her ex husband but is takign the path of her life as it should be going , things at home are ok and her son and daughter seem to be on her side. From her ex husbands side there seems to be a disaster concerning his relationship as we clearly see in Gillians christmas party  , I believe he is having a mid life crisis with her wife being pregnant and all , he is trying to accomodate his age to what he is currently living I believe there will be more problems to come.

Chris's life and the way his life is going on seems to be he is just beginning to adjust to this new era on which he only gets the chance to see the kids from time to time and he has to learn to deal with his ex wife doing ugly things to him , I believe he is too innoccent for the situation that he is living. In his home we can see that there is a family crisis but I believe there will be a breaking point which has not arrived yet on the story.

Adams side is a teenagers unstable home on which he cant choose whether to love Gillian or his girlfriend so by the way he is living his life he has to put some order.

Nancy is living a transission era, I believe that Nancy reflects what all in the Leopardi circle have gone through at a time, I believe she has caused so much change on the Leopardi circle because her life reminds all of the writers to their lives at some point which is why I believe Nancy will play a key roll in all of this.

Are there characters you were entirely wrong about?

I was wrong about Paul I believe he was just an angry kid with a rebellious attitude but since he talks to Rachel I realized he is just a teen who is confused and does not know who to turn to in order to ask for help.

Why does Paul walk all the way to his old house after talking with Rachel at The Academy? How does Paul fit in at school? How do you judge his actions?

I believe that Paul walks to the old house because he remembers a time when his life used to be perfect but now it has just been falling apart since his parents split. I believe that going through the house makes him remember all the happy moments he has had in his life and is also an inspiration for him to continue moving on with his life. I believe that the house is one of the few places where he can think clearly and feels at home even though no one is living there and it is empty. Paul does not fit at school at all it seems to be the average teenager who does not talk to a lot of people, but does not bully them or anything he is just a teen with his life ignoring everybody and not wishing anybody harm , however I think deep down as every teen he feels the need to fit in which is why he decides to do the paper, I believe that his actios are justified since he was trying to get friends who would support him but he never realized he was just being used, which is why I believe he is innoccent in all the things that happened with the papers.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Author
Corinne-Demas

Hi Charlie--

Thank you for this extensive analysis.  I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say when you've finished the novel.

--Corinne

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Hey, I am sorry for posting late lol I had a problem with the ebook but now I cant stop reading, I know this is probably the wrong section but I was wondering when you started writing the novel how did you manage to create all this different scenes for each character and still have them in a way "interconnected" in a way that although I as a reader can't see I feel a strong connection between all of them , in some books I have read when the author starts talking about a character's life sometimes you lose track of the main story but in the Writing Circle this does not happen,  how did you create the different settings of each character and still remain focused on the story?

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Author
Corinne-Demas
0 Kudos

Hi Charlie--

I delighted to know that you can't stop reading!

I think of this novel as many characters' stories coming together.  The focus moves from one character to another, but all of them are carrying on their lives, even when they aren't on stage. I knew where my story was headed-- I knew what was going to happen in the end-- so even though the reader's eye wasn't on every character all the time (how could it be?)  I, as the writer, had to keep track of all the characters. What I did was imagine each character's life continuing-- and imagine the scenes that  were going on concurrently in addiiton to the scene that was included in the novel.  I kept lots of notes!

--Corinne

CharlieG31 wrote:

Hey, I am sorry for posting late lol I had a problem with the ebook but now I cant stop reading, I know this is probably the wrong section but I was wondering when you started writing the novel how did you manage to create all this different scenes for each character and still have them in a way "interconnected" in a way that although I as a reader can't see I feel a strong connection between all of them , in some books I have read when the author starts talking about a character's life sometimes you lose track of the main story but in the Writing Circle this does not happen,  how did you create the different settings of each character and still remain focused on the story?

en't actually included in the novel. I kept lots of notes! 

--Corinne

CharlieG31 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
alegremama
0 Kudos

I also believe the house of each character reflect their personalities perfectly. Aimee's and Gillian's houses reflect their selfish personalities. They are not very likeable characters.

Virginia's home reflects her happiness in what her life is now. She is in a good marriage with a good man. Nancy's home reflects her need to be protected from the world, and Adam's is a apt reflection of a student who is in a temporary setting.

None of the characters really surprised me in these chapters. The author's portrayal of each leads us to intuitively know where they are going.

Paul is upset after his conversation with Rachel and I believe that he instinctively walks to the place where he has good memories. He is not happy living with his father and Gillian, but he is trying hard to please them. He is so anxious at how they are going to react when they find out what happened with the plagiarism. I think he did it on purpose to get the other student off his back.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

We've seen the homes of most of our characters: How to they reflect the characters themselves, their lifestyles, their personalities, their desires? The homes do, indeed, reflect each character's personalities and lifestyles (and perhaps their desires), but I find that each of the characters' home lives are a little depressing. Each seems to have some sort of relationship problem, and in that relationship "issue" reveals that the person is not as nice as one would have originally thought based on the character's individual initial chapter.

Who has most surprised you in these chapters? Are there characters you were entirely wrong about? Who did you have pegged from first introduction? I have to say that I am not a fan, and in fact quite dislike, Gillian. I like Chris more than I initially did - from his introduction in the book club. I am quite surprised, though, that Chris is the least described character in this novel thus far.

Why does Paul walk all the way to his old house after talking with Rachel at The Academy? How does Paul fit in at school? How do you judge his actions? I haven't quite figured out why Paul visited his old house after speaking with Rachel. I can only hazard a guess that he was reminiscing about a time when his life was happier - when both of his parents were married. He does not have a happy home life at either parent's house, but I think he would be truly happy staying with his mother. Unfortunately, for a kid his age he doesn't fit in at The Academy. He seems like a down to earth kid who's very shy and expresses himself through his art - which he keeps hidden. I think his actions are normal for a kid in his position. He doesn't know anyone, his family isn't wealthy, he isn't like any of his peers, so he's doing his best to befriend some of the popular kids. He just wants so badly to fit in.