Reply
Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Have started reading...  Not post about content, just wanted to say I am enjoying reading on my computer way more than I thought I would!

 

Question - do i have to be connected to the internet to use the e-reader once my book is available?  I'm thinking of ball games, but do not have an internet connection out at the field - no big deal, I just don't want to take it out there if it won't work, lol.  I'm lazy that way.

 

Have a great day!

 

Becky in IN

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi Becky,

Once your device has downloaded the book you can read without being connected to the 'net :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,983
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

 

Becktrek wrote:

Have started reading...  Not post about content, just wanted to say I am enjoying reading on my computer way more than I thought I would!

 

Question - do i have to be connected to the internet to use the e-reader once my book is available?  I'm thinking of ball games, but do not have an internet connection out at the field - no big deal, I just don't want to take it out there if it won't work, lol.  I'm lazy that way.

 

Have a great day!

 

Becky in IN

 

 

Becky,

 

I'm going to put in a shameless plug for the nook here.

 

You might find the LCD screen of your laptop difficult, if not impossible, to read in sunlight at the ball field.

 

However direct sunlight is the environment the e-ink display of the nook thrives in. It's also much easier to carry and handle than even the smallest netbook.

 

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

 

LarryOnLI wrote:

 

Becktrek wrote:

Have started reading...  Not post about content, just wanted to say I am enjoying reading on my computer way more than I thought I would!

 

Question - do i have to be connected to the internet to use the e-reader once my book is available?  I'm thinking of ball games, but do not have an internet connection out at the field - no big deal, I just don't want to take it out there if it won't work, lol.  I'm lazy that way.

 

Have a great day!

 

Becky in IN

 

 

Becky,

 

I'm going to put in a shameless plug for the nook here.

 

You might find the LCD screen of your laptop difficult, if not impossible, to read in sunlight at the ball field.

 

However direct sunlight is the environment the e-ink display of the nook thrives in. It's also much easier to carry and handle than even the smallest netbook.

 

 

 

Believe me I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to own a Nook!  My friend Sherry has one and I was just oogling over it this week!  Unfortunately it is just not in my budget at this time.  Thanks for the tips on the sunlight...  I usually sit in my van in the outfield, so hopefully it won't be that big of a problem.  Eventually I will own a portable reading device!!!  Happy Reading!

 

Becky in IN

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

 

Becktrek wrote:

 

LarryOnLI wrote:

 

Becktrek wrote:

Have started reading...  Not post about content, just wanted to say I am enjoying reading on my computer way more than I thought I would!

 

Question - do i have to be connected to the internet to use the e-reader once my book is available?  I'm thinking of ball games, but do not have an internet connection out at the field - no big deal, I just don't want to take it out there if it won't work, lol.  I'm lazy that way.

 

Have a great day!

 

Becky in IN

 

 

Becky,

 

I'm going to put in a shameless plug for the nook here.

 

You might find the LCD screen of your laptop difficult, if not impossible, to read in sunlight at the ball field.

 

However direct sunlight is the environment the e-ink display of the nook thrives in. It's also much easier to carry and handle than even the smallest netbook.

 

 

 

Believe me I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to own a Nook!  My friend Sherry has one and I was just oogling over it this week!  Unfortunately it is just not in my budget at this time.  Thanks for the tips on the sunlight...  I usually sit in my van in the outfield, so hopefully it won't be that big of a problem.  Eventually I will own a portable reading device!!!  Happy Reading!

 

Becky in IN

 

Hi Becktrek..I am putting everyone who wants a Nook on my wishlist..I am reading TWC on my Blackberry..Its ok,and the fonts are good.Tried my Laptop..Might try it again..Now I have 3 nooks on my wishlist..One never knows  The BN "Angel" might have a Special for The Holidays..So far though,I am enjoying the book.,Always a pleasure to be involved in TFLook.Club.... Enjoy....Susan Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
LastWord
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi--  I'm Jennifer. 

This is my third First Look. 

Am looking forward to reading the book. Getting it downloaded to my iPod right now.

kch
Contributor
kch
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hey good evening everyone. I am Karen and this is my second first look experience. I am excited to be doing one with my Nook.

 

I live on the west side of the Tetons with my husband, 2 mostly grown sons and 1not so grown daughter. I am homeschooling my daughter right now. She recently got a kitten that she named Pan after Lyra's demon in the Golden Compass (she is a reader too).. I am really looking forward to this.

 

Karen

Karen
Frequent Contributor
jbg78
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎09-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

This is the first book I have read on my lap top computer. I'm having a tough time!  I keep falling asleep, and I'm scared I will drop the computer.  I didn't have to worry about this with an actual book. First point scored goes to reading an actual book.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb~
Contributor
sp1198
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Please, can someone direct me to the reading schedule for The Writing Circle?  For some reason I cannot find it. I'm sure that I'm now behind!

Reader 4
elscotcho
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello, my name is Scott.  This is my first time participating, and am excited to contribute!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

The schedule is under "Schedule, News, and Updates and was posted by Rachel. I tried to copy it here for you. May 31st: General Discussion begins. Please read through the end of Chris' chapter, to page 88. June 7th: Corrine Demas and joins the group and continues with us through the end of our discussion! Sarah Landis, Corrine's editor, and Ellen Archer, Corinne’s publisher, will join the discussion for this week only! Please read through the end of Nancy's chapter, to page 166. June 14: Please read through the end of the novel. June 21st: Last week. Please post your reviews!
sp1198 wrote:

Please, can someone direct me to the reading schedule for The Writing Circle?  For some reason I cannot find it. I'm sure that I'm now behind!

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

"Hi Becktrek..I am putting everyone who wants a Nook on my wishlist..I am reading TWC on my Blackberry..Its ok,and the fonts are good.Tried my Laptop..Might try it again..Now I have 3 nooks on my wishlist..One never knows  The BN "Angel" might have a Special for The Holidays..So far though,I am enjoying the book.,Always a pleasure to be involved in TFLook.Club.... Enjoy....Susan Vtc..."

 

Susan,

 

That is the sweetest thing!  :-)  THANKS.  Have a fabulous day!

 

Becky in IN

Frequent Contributor
KCHaughawout
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello! I've been involved in several First Look Clubs and am excited to be in the first digital one. I own a nook and just love it. I live outside of Wichita, KS with my 2 dogs, a cat, a son in college, and my daughter and my 2 grandchildren. I teach History in High School. I always like the First Look clubs because I get to read books I normally would not buy. That doesn't mean they are not good books, it just allows me to broaden my horizons and get out of my comfort zone.

 

 

 

"Every burned book enlightens the world."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Karen


"Every burned book enlightens the world."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the First Look group, Scott!  :smileyhappy:

 

elscotcho wrote:

Hello, my name is Scott.  This is my first time participating, and am excited to contribute!

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Deanne75
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

KCHaughawout wrote:

Hello! I've been involved in several First Look Clubs and am excited to be in the first digital one. I own a nook and just love it. I live outside of Wichita, KS with my 2 dogs, a cat, a son in college, and my daughter and my 2 grandchildren. I teach History in High School. I always like the First Look clubs because I get to read books I normally would not buy. That doesn't mean they are not good books, it just allows me to broaden my horizons and get out of my comfort zone.

 

 

 

"Every burned book enlightens the world."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

 

Wow!  I never would have expected to "bump" into another Wichitan in this group. :smileysurprised:) Yippie!!!

Deanne
Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎02-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Good day.  Having rec'vd my e-book on Saturday, I had to finish up Kim Harrison's 2nd book in the Hollow Series before starting The Writing-Circle.  Now that I've finished up through page 88, I was so tempted to begin the next chapter but I resisted.  What did I do instead?  With an entire week to go before we can begin discussing this book, it should be obvious, right?  Book 3 in the Hollows series....  It was that or Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed.  Thought I should read that before Heart of the Matter.  I like to stay with a series, as I did with Twilight and long before that - The Foundation and Robot series by Asimov.

 

John S - Connecticut

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I recently read the first book of the Hollow series. Very good book.

I will be reading more in this series.

pen21

 

 

GuzziAlfa wrote:

Good day.  Having rec'vd my e-book on Saturday, I had to finish up Kim Harrison's 2nd book in the Hollow Series before starting The Writing-Circle.  Now that I've finished up through page 88, I was so tempted to begin the next chapter but I resisted.  What did I do instead?  With an entire week to go before we can begin discussing this book, it should be obvious, right?  Book 3 in the Hollows series....  It was that or Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed.  Thought I should read that before Heart of the Matter.  I like to stay with a series, as I did with Twilight and long before that - The Foundation and Robot series by Asimov.

 

John S - Connecticut

 

 

New User
farm_girl
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello!  This is my first First Look, and I am anxious to participate.  I am an avid reader and just purchased a Nook.  Maria--Illinois

Reader 4
fallafooka
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎02-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi:

 

My name is Kathleen and I own a Nook.  I love it much more than I thought I would!  I have a degree in English Literature and own hundreds of books.  The greatest compliment ever paid to me was a comment my younger sister made.  She looked around my bedroom and said "It looks like a liberry in here." She was about 6 at the time.  I am looking forward to the discussions.

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome to the First Look group, Kathleen!  :smileywink:

 

fallafooka wrote:

Hi:

 

My name is Kathleen and I own a Nook.  I love it much more than I thought I would!  I have a degree in English Literature and own hundreds of books.  The greatest compliment ever paid to me was a comment my younger sister made.  She looked around my bedroom and said "It looks like a liberry in here." She was about 6 at the time.  I am looking forward to the discussions.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com