Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Welcome, Carrie! I hope you enjoy the First Look experience.  :smileyhappy:

ckell1221 wrote:

Hello, My name is Carrie and I live in Arkansas.  This is my first time participating in FL.  I love to read...especially on my nook.  I am looking forward to reading this book and having some interesting discussions!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome to the First Look group!  :smileywink:

checker555 wrote:

Hi,

My name is Jennifer, and this is my first First Look experience. I have a nook, which is my new best friend. I am one who never could imagine using an ebook and was sure I would hate it. I'm eating my words now, as it is a wonderful experience. I am completely won over, although I will still buy actual books. :smileyhappy:

I live in Washington, DC with my husband and 5 children, one Australian Shepherd, one cat, one gecko, two frogs, and many fish. I love to read, and I love electronics, computers, and gadgets, so the nook was made for me.

PS--For those trying it out on a computer screen, don't let that experience make you think you wouldn't like the nook. It's not really very comparable. The e-ink screen does not induce any eyestrain, unlike a computer screen, and it's also suprisingly easy and comfortable to hold in your hand, even lying down reading in bed at night.

Looking forward to this discussion--

Jennifer

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jillian! Facebook does bring lots of things to our attention.  :smileywink:

jillian_lee wrote:

Hello everyone! My name is Jillian and I live in lovely Central Minnesota (and yes--I really do think it's lovely here!). This will be my first FL book club and I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know this existed before I saw the posting on Facebook! I own a nook and have been an avid reader as long as I can remember! I'm really excited to be a part of this because I love discussing books and find that several of my friends don't share similar tastes as me! =)

Now I'm going to scour the rest of this nifty B&N Community...

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sara! I hope you enjoy this experience.  :smileyhappy:

PenguinPose wrote:

Hi everyone!

My name is Sara from Upstate New York, and this is my first experience with First Look.  I'm really exciting to read The Writing Circle on my nook and discussing it with everyone!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the First Look group, Cynthia!  :smileyhappy:

cynthiaoh wrote:

HI,

My name is Cynthia -- I am from Ohio.  This is the first time for me -- looking forward to it!

Scribe
DSaff

Welcome, Becky! I hope you enjoy the book and the group.  :smileyhappy:

princessbab wrote:

Hi everyone.  My name is Becky and this is my first time with the First Look book club.  I have had my nook for three months now and love it.  Looking forward to a good read :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Hi sylvia387. Glad you are here.

sylvia387 wrote:

Hi everyone..I'm Sylvia.  Like Pen21, I live and read in Minnesota! 

Will be reading on my PC, and looking forward to my 6th FL read.

pen21
0 Kudos

Jennifer,

Very good point on the e-ink display. It is not like the computer. I love the display. It is very easy on the eyes. I wasn't sure I would like the nook, but I love the nook now that I am using it.

Welcome, pen21(Luanne)

checker555 wrote:

Hi,

My name is Jennifer, and this is my first First Look experience. I have a nook, which is my new best friend. I am one who never could imagine using an ebook and was sure I would hate it. I'm eating my words now, as it is a wonderful experience. I am completely won over, although I will still buy actual books. :smileyhappy:

I live in Washington, DC with my husband and 5 children, one Australian Shepherd, one cat, one gecko, two frogs, and many fish. I love to read, and I love electronics, computers, and gadgets, so the nook was made for me.

PS--For those trying it out on a computer screen, don't let that experience make you think you wouldn't like the nook. It's not really very comparable. The e-ink screen does not induce any eyestrain, unlike a computer screen, and it's also suprisingly easy and comfortable to hold in your hand, even lying down reading in bed at night.

Looking forward to this discussion--

Jennifer

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Breezy000 wrote:

My name is Alicia and I am from Missouri.  Looking forward to the digital book!  :smileyhappy:

Hi Alicia, and welcome. Where in Missouri. I live in St. Charles County right outside of St. Louis

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Wow we have a lot of new members here because of the digital read, how exciting. Maybe you all could convince the rest of us why we should shell out the dough to buy a nook. I'd love to hear all the pros and cons.

Anyway welcome to all the newbies you'll be old friends here soon this is sort of like a commune an extended family and here's a big bear hug from me. Don't forget to visit all the other book clubs here too, you have no idea how my TBR(to be read) pile has increased since joining here so be prepared to meet new friends and discover great new authors.

And to my old friends from FL and the other clubs hi good to see you all.

Reader 4
bkrasso
0 Kudos

My name is Billy, and I live in Nebraska.  Saw that this was available from Facebook and came over here to see what the FL was all about.  I received my Nook at the end of Mar and I love it.  I have discovered so many new Authors because of it.  This is also my first time being apart of the FL club.  Until I saw the Facebook post I didnt even know this existed.

pen21
0 Kudos

Welcome to everyone!

And a special Welcome to DSaff(Donna).

Donna is here to welcome all of us returning to First Look and all the new people.

Donna makes everyone feel happy to be here.

DSaff wrote:

Welcome, ! I hope you enjoy the book and the group.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Libilou
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!  My name is Libi (I know, original screenname, right?).  This will be my first book club ever.  I read lots, just never committed to a book club before.

I am a single mom of two teens.  I am the care-giver for my disabled mom and old dad (his words, not mine).  I am a part-time bookkeeper and full-time accounting student.  I volunteer at church and in my knitting group.  I have 1 dog, 1 cat and two rats.  What I don't have is a lot of free time. 

My daughter gave me a Nook for my birthday this year and oh my!  I've already finished 4 books, including Pride and Prejudice, which I've been trying to read again for a long time!  I can read more because I carry my Nook with my everywhere now. 

I secretly want to write a book about homeschooling as a single parent (oh, did I tell you that?  I homeschooled my kids for 9 years), but have never raised the courage.  So, reading about other writers is a good thing for me!

I know I will enjoy getting to know you all over the next few weeks.

Happy reading!

Life is short, eat dessert first.
Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Beth from Pittsburgh, PA, This is my 1st FL.  I'm excited to join and see how all this works.  I was a hold out on the eReaders, I never thought I would give up the actual books.  But I fell in love with the NOOK the 1st time I saw. I got mine in February and use a cover that opens and feels like I'm holding an actual book.  It's wonderful and so much easier to carry around then my Hard covers, also storage space is no longer a problem.   The book sounds very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading and discussing it. I have not been part of a reading group for about 6 years and I've missed it.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you! It is a pleasure to see everyone.   :smileywink:

pen21 wrote:

Welcome to everyone!

And a special Welcome to DSaff(Donna).

Donna is here to welcome all of us returning to First Look and all the new people.

Donna makes everyone feel happy to be here.

DSaff wrote:

Welcome, ! I hope you enjoy the book and the group.  :smileyhappy:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Ursula. Welcome to the group! It's nice to have you here.  :smileywink:

uavery wrote:

Hi, I am Ursula. I am the proud owner of a Nook for almost 2 months now and couldn't be happier! The best purchase I have made! I am excited to try out the First Look program. Hope to find many new books and meet many new people through this. Have a great day everyone!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Beth! I like the cover you describe.  :smileywink:

BethAnnH wrote:

Hi I'm Beth from Pittsburgh, PA, This is my 1st FL.  I'm excited to join and see how all this works.  I was a hold out on the eReaders, I never thought I would give up the actual books.  But I fell in love with the NOOK the 1st time I saw. I got mine in February and use a cover that opens and feels like I'm holding an actual book.  It's wonderful and so much easier to carry around then my Hard covers, also storage space is no longer a problem.   The book sounds very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading and discussing it. I have not been part of a reading group for about 6 years and I've missed it.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome, Billy! We're glad to have you with us.  :smileyhappy:

bkrasso wrote:

My name is Billy, and I live in Nebraska.  Saw that this was available from Facebook and came over here to see what the FL was all about.  I received my Nook at the end of Mar and I love it.  I have discovered so many new Authors because of it.  This is also my first time being apart of the FL club.  Until I saw the Facebook post I didnt even know this existed.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

They sound wonderful. Our dog is a Daschund/Basenji mix.  :smileywink:

doggiemom2 wrote:

DonnaS I have two mixed breeds. The first is a spaniel/dachsund mix and the other is a boxer/beagle mix. Both were shelter dogs.

DSaff wrote:

Welcome, Amy! What kind of dogs do you have?

doggiemom2 wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm Amy and live in Michigan with my Hubby and our two dogs. This is my first FL book and I'm pretty excited. I've always wanted to be part of a book club. I will be reading this on my Nook, which I bought in March. I love it.

Scribe
DSaff

Hi, Karen. Welcome to the group!  :smileyhappy:

WhyDoUPickOnMe wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm Karen.

I'm brand new to the FL book club.  I have a nook and read so much more than I did before I had one!  I'm excited to be part of this.