Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello! Welcome to all who posted before me and those who will post after. My name is Terry and I live in Richmond, VA. This is my first time participating in a book club digital or otherwise. I like that FL involves committing to only one book at a time. So looking forward to getting started with The Writing Circle! It doesn't seem to fit my usual read and I'm counting it as a new adventure for me and Nappy (my nook).

Terry

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

Hi Teri, I'm from Mn too. Glyndon. Where are u?

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

StewiesMom wrote:

(Stands up, to address the room)

Hi Everyone, my name is Julie, and I'm a bookaholic.  

(Sits back down again, after the clapping and shout-outs are concluded)

This is my 7th FL participation.  I'm looking forward to this first digital selection, as it will involve my Nook.  See you all soon!

HI JULIE!!

As you know, the first step is the hardest one to take-  from one bookaholic to another.  

I am thrilled to see so many that have and love their Nook.  I have not yet made that leap, but seeing how so many do love it, I may try to borrow one to test first.  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Beguile_Thy_Sorrow
0 Kudos

Hi all :robothappy:

I participated in reading Eternal on the Water and absolutely love that book! I mention it to everyone I know who reads as an awesome general fiction read, and great love story. Now I look forward to these reads and discussions with B&N book clubs and am excited about this one because even the brief summary pulled me in; can't wait to see what happens.

Reading at my desktop isn't an ideal situation and like others have mentioned I'm disappointed it's not a traditional hardcopy book/arc but I haven't been able to afford an eReader as of yet so I'm going to try and read at work on breaks. Meanwhile I'm also crossing my fingers I win a nook from one of several contests I've entered :robotvery-happy:

Bella@BeguileThySorrow

"Come, and take choice of all my library,
And so beguile thy sorrow."
~Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene 1: Shakespeare
Reader 2
Meowiemomma
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am Patricia from McKinney, Texas. This is my very first book club and I can't wait to get started. I love my Nook that I received from my kids for Valentine's Day.

Reader 4
bblkd
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!!  I am Kris from Grand Rapids, Mi.  My husband and 3 wonderful daughters gave me a Nook for Christmas.  I am proud to say I am a nookaholic!  Norbert McNook goes with me everywhere!  Now that my children are a little older I have enjoyed getting back into reading.  I have never been part of a book club and I look forward to the experience.

Correspondent
StewiesMom

Debbie,

The best thing I can think of is the following:  If you are interested in new technology, like books, but hate the weight of carrying around a heavy book in your bag, and want to get a little greener, then the Nook is for you.  If not, then it probably isn't going to be a wise spend of the $259.  I got my Nook just before Christmas and I adore it.  It goes with me EVERYWHERE!  It fits in my handbag and I usually pull it out at lunch and both of my breaks each workday.  The only downside is that I now want more than my allotted 1 hour lunch break, just to keep reading.:smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

Wow we have a lot of new members here because of the digital read, how exciting. Maybe you all could convince the rest of us why we should shell out the dough to buy a nook. I'd love to hear all the pros and cons.

Anyway welcome to all the newbies you'll be old friends here soon this is sort of like a commune an extended family and here's a big bear hug from me. Don't forget to visit all the other book clubs here too, you have no idea how my TBR(to be read) pile has increased since joining here so be prepared to meet new friends and discover great new authors.

And to my old friends from FL and the other clubs hi good to see you all.

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I am from Northern California and have participated in several First Looks. My bio: I read. I write. I knit. I photo. I travel. I pull weeds. (And I love my nook named "Lesebuch.")

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am from Northern California and have participated in several First Looks. My bio: I read. I write. I knit. I photo. I travel. I pull weeds. (And I love my nook named "Lesebuch.")

Hi SunItcloud,
Glad to see you're back.  I don't remember posts from you during The Poacher's Son.  With the prior FL's, it was always interesting to read your detailed information on European life.  Talk soon.
Literature

Reader
cij1916
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Cortney from the coast of MS. I'm looking forward to reading this book, I've been an  avid reader since I was about 7 yrs old. I'm still  young (bout to enter my 30s) and I'd rather read than hang out with friends & party lol.

Inspired Contributor
Sherry_Young
0 Kudos

Greeting fellow book lovers!

The Writing Circle will be my 4th First Look selection to read/discuss. I began last fall with The Postmistress and enjoyed the experience immensely. When the next First Look selection was announced, I told a couple of friends about it. The result was not only that they participated in the next First Look, but also in the creation of our own local book club. Thank you B&N First Look!

We have discussed:

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society -Mary Ann Shaffer/Annie Barrows

New York - Edward Rutherfurd

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Eternal on the Water - Joseph Monninger - yet to discuss with group

Would love to hear what you think on these or any reading recommendations for our group!

Can't wait to discuss The Writing Circle with all of you!

Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.
— Judy Blume
dhaupt
0 Kudos

StewiesMom wrote:

Debbie,

The best thing I can think of is the following:  If you are interested in new technology, like books, but hate the weight of carrying around a heavy book in your bag, and want to get a little greener, then the Nook is for you.  If not, then it probably isn't going to be a wise spend of the $259.  I got my Nook just before Christmas and I adore it.  It goes with me EVERYWHERE!  It fits in my handbag and I usually pull it out at lunch and both of my breaks each workday.  The only downside is that I now want more than my allotted 1 hour lunch break, just to keep reading.:smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

Wow we have a lot of new members here because of the digital read, how exciting. Maybe you all could convince the rest of us why we should shell out the dough to buy a nook. I'd love to hear all the pros and cons.

Anyway welcome to all the newbies you'll be old friends here soon this is sort of like a commune an extended family and here's a big bear hug from me. Don't forget to visit all the other book clubs here too, you have no idea how my TBR(to be read) pile has increased since joining here so be prepared to meet new friends and discover great new authors.

And to my old friends from FL and the other clubs hi good to see you all.

Thanks!!

Contributor
LinkLR
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! Lisa from New Jersey here. I'm looking forward to reading this book on my nook. I've had my nook since January and am really enjoying it. Can't wait for the download to appear.  --Lisa

Frequent Contributor
BethAnnH
0 Kudos

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the Welcome.  I use the Jonathan Adler Punctuation cover.  All his covers are great and give me the real book feel.

Beth

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JuneC

Well, you CAN read it on your Iphone  :smileyvery-happy: heh...Glad you made it here cause I was thinking..

I was getting worried, she's not responding. haha :smileyvery-happy:

JuneC wrote:

Hello Again all FL'ers,

This will be uncharted territory for me. Since I don't have a nook, Kindle, or IPad I will have to read this new book the "old fashioned" way...on my PC!  I will miss having a real book to hold, but I'm  I'm up for the challenge!

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Sherry,

I just purchased New York by Edward Rutherfurd, how was it?

Any info is appreciated.

Sherry_Young wrote:

Greeting fellow book lovers!

The Writing Circle will be my 4th First Look selection to read/discuss. I began last fall with The Postmistress and enjoyed the experience immensely. When the next First Look selection was announced, I told a couple of friends about it. The result was not only that they participated in the next First Look, but also in the creation of our own local book club. Thank you B&N First Look!

We have discussed:

Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society -Mary Ann Shaffer/Annie Barrows

New York - Edward Rutherfurd

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Eternal on the Water - Joseph Monninger - yet to discuss with group

Would love to hear what you think on these or any reading recommendations for our group!

Can't wait to discuss The Writing Circle with all of you!

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Hi SunItcloud,
Glad to see you're back.  I don't remember posts from you during The Poacher's Son.  With the prior FL's, it was always interesting to read your detailed information on European life.  Talk soon.
Literature

Hello Literature,

I missed The Poacher's Son because I've become part-time caregiver to a 98-year old friend and just haven't had the time for regular participation, though I've posted occasionally on various nook boards. I was in the first group to get nook (delivery was delayed) and I loved the help we all received from admins and each other when we finally got it. Now I use my two hour bus rides to my friend's house to knit and read on my nook and confuse the other riders. Who else takes one hand off the knitting in front of her and swipes a finger across a dark screen regularly? I've put close to a hundred books on my nook (and I have about 60 on my "old" kindle) so I am all set to commute forever. :smileyhappy:

I am still struggling with the new "Quote" function on the "Reply" screen. I don't seem to be able to get rid of extraneous material and I don't have the patience to figure out how. Oh well, the first step was to sign up for The Writing Circle which looks very interesting to me since I belong to a writing group and find writing circles amusing at times.

Contributor
Lisa1971
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Lisa  and I live in southwestern Ontario. I've been in FL for sometime now, it looks like this change in format may be challenging to many!! I think its wonderful and enviromentally responsible!!! Good for you Barnes and Noble!!!!

A Tree thanks you!!!!!!

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Rose and I'm an avid reader from Brazil. I'm excited for this First Look; just got my confirmation. Thank you!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wow, so many new people in this club. Welcome to all and I hope you enjoy our First Look club as it tends to bring people together and one makes new friends and one can chat with them. I've been trough 2 FL's and enjoyed both. Paul has a knack for choosing just the right book for people to read and his choices can  range from thought-provoking to mystery. This time, we go on a digital adventure. I'm glad as I have a Nook and won't have to wait for Mr. UPS man. I think this FL will be challenging and interesting.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost