Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?

Correspondent
StewiesMom
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎10-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

[ Edited ]

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Contributor
BHall
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Gillian sitting with the pad of paper on her lap.  This ending scene is not only chilling; it transformed the book & will remain with me. 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

 This is the passage that always stuck in my mind, it's on page 34 and it's Virginia explaining her feeling for Bernard, now and then

 

"And she did love Bernard. Not the way she loved Joe, and not the way she’d loved Bernard when they were young and newly married. Then, she had loved him fiercely. She’d loved him, but she’d also been infuriated by him. He had been verbally passionate, but in bed he was lethargic. He was pompous, babyish about basic things, impractical, slovenly, and selectively unworldly. Oh—the list went on. But now that she was no longer married to him, now that she was happily married to Joe, the love she felt for Bernard was undamaged by frustration. Everything she didn’t like about Bernard was Aimee’s to deal with. No marriage counseling could have ironed out all their difficulties as a couple as neatly, as successfully as their divorce and realignment had done.", [Corinne Demas, The Writing Circle]

 

It still makes me laugh a little 

Author
Corinne-Demas
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Dear StewiesMom--

 

I've gotten a real kick out of seeing this quote in your post signature.  Bernard would be so proud!

 

--Corinne

 


StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 


 

 

Author
Corinne-Demas
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Oh-- I'm delighted this scene works for you. Thank you.

 

I know a number of you wanted to book to go on longer, (if I followed up on what happens in the future with each of the characters I could add hundreds of pages) but for me the story-- at least the part of the story that The Writing Circle is concerned with-- ends with Gillian confronting the fact that she no longer can write. She's lost the one thing that matters to her most.

 

--Corinne

 

 


BHall wrote:

Gillian sitting with the pad of paper on her lap.  This ending scene is not only chilling; it transformed the book & will remain with me. 


 

 

Author
Corinne-Demas
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Dear Debbie--

Thanks for selecting this. Would that all second marriages work out as well as Virginia's!

 

--Corinne

 


dhaupt wrote:

 This is the passage that always stuck in my mind, it's on page 34 and it's Virginia explaining her feeling for Bernard, now and then

 

"And she did love Bernard. Not the way she loved Joe, and not the way she’d loved Bernard when they were young and newly married. Then, she had loved him fiercely. She’d loved him, but she’d also been infuriated by him. He had been verbally passionate, but in bed he was lethargic. He was pompous, babyish about basic things, impractical, slovenly, and selectively unworldly. Oh—the list went on. But now that she was no longer married to him, now that she was happily married to Joe, the love she felt for Bernard was undamaged by frustration. Everything she didn’t like about Bernard was Aimee’s to deal with. No marriage counseling could have ironed out all their difficulties as a couple as neatly, as successfully as their divorce and realignment had done.", [Corinne Demas, The Writing Circle]

 

It still makes me laugh a little 


 

 

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

I liked this one too!  =)


StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

I already posted this previously, but it really belongs here. In this quote, Nancy shows total determination and stamina. Oh, that each of us had more of that!

 

"She had trained herself to believe that all information was there, somewhere, and it was just a matter of meticulous searching until you finally uncovered it."  pg. 228

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Hi StewiesMom,

I didn't post my favorite lines yet, but this is one that I was going.  A lot of my favorite lines all have to do with Bernard and Virginia.  I liked Virginia, she was focused, grounded and was content with herself at this juncture in life. 

 

Being from the NYC area, we are sterotyped as tact not being one of our stronger traits.  We are known for saying what's on our minds, as I am so often reminded of when traveling to other regions. 

 

"Tact, my dear" reminds me of Rhett Butler talking to Scarlet O'hara.

Literature

 

 

StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 


 

 


 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Hi Corinne,

I may be in the minority, but I think the book should end just where it did.  You gave closure to Gillian's life.  She was left at a point where she is really hurting.  She worked hard to get to this point and I don't think she should be deprived.  I feel terrible for Paul, he didn't deserve to be the victim and only hope if he died, that it was instant.  I believe Paul would be satisfied to know she is hurting and has lost the only thing that ever mattered to her.  The others in TWC will survive.  Hopefully, Jerry would become a stronger person as he comes to terms with the loss of Paul and with what lies ahead with Gillian.

Literature


Corinne-Demas wrote:

Oh-- I'm delighted this scene works for you. Thank you.

 

I know a number of you wanted to book to go on longer, (if I followed up on what happens in the future with each of the characters I could add hundreds of pages) but for me the story-- at least the part of the story that The Writing Circle is concerned with-- ends with Gillian confronting the fact that she no longer can write. She's lost the one thing that matters to her most.

 

--Corinne

 

 


BHall wrote:

Gillian sitting with the pad of paper on her lap.  This ending scene is not only chilling; it transformed the book & will remain with me. 


 

 


 

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

I just loved some of Virginia's conversations with Bernie.  Virginia was such a centered person whereas Bernie just needed Virginia mothering:

 

"I'm sorry, Bernie" she said.  I don't want to argue with you.  I'm not married to you anymore.  It's not my job to elucidate things for you.  Nor is it my job to try to convince you about anything or influence what you do.  Let's just be friends."

 

"You're a grown man, Bernie.  Babies just don't happen.  You know that."

 

 

Paul:

"Kim!  A fantasy suddenly turned actual..he thought about her all the time--barely daring to fantisize, doing more with her than just hang out, talk.  "Thanks, though," she said.  "And thanks for listening to me."

 

 

TWC, I will always remember the way Virginia, Paul and Adam rallied behind Nancy and made sure that Gillian went down with glory.  Seeing that Bernard is void of feelings, except for himself, he should be excluded from TWC.

 

 


Nancy at the Bolten Library:

"She loved libraries.  The smell and heft of books.  She loved the feeling of mystery each time she entered the stacks, their profound quiet and stillness.  The sense that there were secrets--ideas, information--that had been buried there for years."

 

 

I've shared my feelings (or lack of feelings) for Gillian with everyone more than once.  What I will always remember most is the way Corinne very bluntly gave Gillian closure:

 

"Gillian squared the pad of paper on her lap.  She clenched her pencil.  She stared at what she had written at the top of the page:  Intermediary.  She did not know what more to do with it.  There was nothing left about the poem.  It had never failed her before, but now, she had nothing to write.  The poem was nothing, just an exercise in words."

 

Paul summed it up very nicely when he said:  "He was glad things weren't that predictable", a lesson that Gillian learned the hard way.

 

Correspondent
StewiesMom
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎10-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

I truly mean it when I say I love this quote.  It says a lot.  I will be using this one permanently as a signature line. :smileyhappy:

 


Corinne-Demas wrote:

Dear StewiesMom--

 

I've gotten a real kick out of seeing this quote in your post signature.  Bernard would be so proud!

 

--Corinne

 


StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 


 

 


 

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Correspondent
StewiesMom
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎10-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

[ Edited ]

Hi lit,

 

I am from the opposite end of the US from you, but have always been labeled either tactless or blunt.  It's this reason that I enjoy a character who says what they feel without fear of coming across as harsh or rude.  I guess I have slightly thicker skin than some and unnecessary politeness isn't what I look for in a dialogue.  I'm not talking about being intentionally rude or foul, just to be nasty, but when asked for my opinion, I always tell the truth.  My ex-husband once told me "One thing is for sure, people either love you or they hate you."  It seems that he had something right!

 

 


literature wrote:

Hi StewiesMom,

I didn't post my favorite lines yet, but this is one that I was going.  A lot of my favorite lines all have to do with Bernard and Virginia.  I liked Virginia, she was focused, grounded and was content with herself at this juncture in life. 

 

Being from the NYC area, we are sterotyped as tact not being one of our stronger traits.  We are known for saying what's on our minds, as I am so often reminded of when traveling to other regions. 

 

"Tact, my dear" reminds me of Rhett Butler talking to Scarlet O'hara.

Literature

 

 

StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 


 

 


 


 

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎09-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages


Rachel-K wrote:

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?


 

Some of my favorite moments in the book came from Virginia and Bernard.  Someone quoted the line before.

 "I'm sorry, Bernie" she said.  I don't want to argue with you.  I'm not married to you anymore.  It's not my job to elucidate things for you.  Nor is it my job to try to convince you about anything or influence what you do.  Let's just be friends."

He is still trying to keep her close and she is basically telling him I don't have to deal with your nonsense any longer. Virginia was happy, and I don't believe Bernard was as happy in his new married as Virginia was in her relationship with Joe.


Rachel-K wrote:

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?


 

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Hi StewiesMom,

Well, according to your ex-husband, I guess I love you.  We've been in a number of FL clubs together and I always look forward to reading your posts.  You say it the way you see it, no fluff, and you always come up with good points.  Thanks for being politely blunt and don't ever change!

Literature

 

 


StewiesMom wrote:

Hi lit,

 

I am from the opposite end of the US from you, but have always been labeled either tactless or blunt.  It's this reason that I enjoy a character who says what they feel without fear of coming across as harsh or rude.  I guess I have slightly thicker skin than some and unnecessary politeness isn't what I look for in a dialogue.  I'm not talking about being intentionally rude or foul, just to be nasty, but when asked for my opinion, I always tell the truth.  My ex-husband once told me "One thing is for sure, people either love you or they hate you."  It seems that he had something right!

 

 


literature wrote:

Hi StewiesMom,

I didn't post my favorite lines yet, but this is one that I was going.  A lot of my favorite lines all have to do with Bernard and Virginia.  I liked Virginia, she was focused, grounded and was content with herself at this juncture in life. 

 

Being from the NYC area, we are sterotyped as tact not being one of our stronger traits.  We are known for saying what's on our minds, as I am so often reminded of when traveling to other regions. 

 

"Tact, my dear" reminds me of Rhett Butler talking to Scarlet O'hara.

Literature

 

 

StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 

 

Author
Corinne-Demas
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Hi--

I enjoyed writing the Virginia-Bernard exchanges so much.

I read this scene aloud at an English Department gathering and I had a great time with Virginia's lines.   

 

Yes, Virginia is happy with Joe in a way that Bernard never will be. I see Virginia and Joey's marriage as a truly sweet one  (who says there's no romance after fifty!)-- quite in contrast to Gillian's and Jerry's.

 

--Corinne

 


nymazz wrote:

Rachel-K wrote:

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?


 

Some of my favorite moments in the book came from Virginia and Bernard.  Someone quoted the line before.

 "I'm sorry, Bernie" she said.  I don't want to argue with you.  I'm not married to you anymore.  It's not my job to elucidate things for you.  Nor is it my job to try to convince you about anything or influence what you do.  Let's just be friends."

He is still trying to keep her close and she is basically telling him I don't have to deal with your nonsense any longer. Virginia was happy, and I don't believe Bernard was as happy in his new married as Virginia was in her relationship with Joe.


Rachel-K wrote:

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?


 


 

 

 

Correspondent
StewiesMom
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎10-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

Thanks, lit.  See you for the next FL!


literature wrote:
Hi StewiesMom,

Well, according to your ex-husband, I guess I love you.  We've been in a number of FL clubs together and I always look forward to reading your posts.  You say it the way you see it, no fluff, and you always come up with good points.  Thanks for being politely blunt and don't ever change!

Literature

 

 


StewiesMom wrote:

Hi lit,

 

I am from the opposite end of the US from you, but have always been labeled either tactless or blunt.  It's this reason that I enjoy a character who says what they feel without fear of coming across as harsh or rude.  I guess I have slightly thicker skin than some and unnecessary politeness isn't what I look for in a dialogue.  I'm not talking about being intentionally rude or foul, just to be nasty, but when asked for my opinion, I always tell the truth.  My ex-husband once told me "One thing is for sure, people either love you or they hate you."  It seems that he had something right!

 

 


literature wrote:

Hi StewiesMom,

I didn't post my favorite lines yet, but this is one that I was going.  A lot of my favorite lines all have to do with Bernard and Virginia.  I liked Virginia, she was focused, grounded and was content with herself at this juncture in life. 

 

Being from the NYC area, we are sterotyped as tact not being one of our stronger traits.  We are known for saying what's on our minds, as I am so often reminded of when traveling to other regions. 

 

"Tact, my dear" reminds me of Rhett Butler talking to Scarlet O'hara.

Literature

 

 

StewiesMom wrote:

Alright, I have a favorite line.  It's the one I chose to quote in my post signature.  I absolutely love this line and I hope I provided credit properly.

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle.

 

 


 

 

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages

[ Edited ]

I don't have a passage or line to remember. But I thought the preface was extremely good and it really dragged one into the book. But only to go into the writer's group. So one wonders at this point, what does the preface have to do with this group. I liked how everyone was guessing who the people were in the preface, but I felt as we got into the final chapters, that the preface was going to play out again. I was surprised with the ending and saddened to find that it was Paul that was hit by the truck. At that point, I was confused as it wasn't the ending I was expecting. The author should have continued with the theme of the preface and played it out in some other scenario.But I think the preface and the ending will stick with me only because the ending seemed wrong.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Reader 4
rla8180
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Writer's Circle: Favorite Passages


Rachel-K wrote:

While we are winding down and putting reviews together, please use this space to share a few of your favorite (or most intense) passages from the novel.

 

A week or a year from now, what is going to stick with you? A particular image or scene or character?


 

There are so many scenes from this book that I could visualize and that have stayed with me.  Here are just a few:

 

 - Adam not washing the dishes so that Gillian would have reminder of him when he was gone, not understanding until much later that Gillian didn't think of him much at all.

 

 - Nancy in the dressing room at Bloomingdale's reading Gillian's version of her story. 

 

 - Bernard dancing naked with his Horace.  Why can't I get that out of my head?!

 

 - Rachel buying Paul ice cream.  "It seemed like a true pleasure, and Rachel felt happy to be able to give it to him.  She guessed he didn't have much in his life that was this pleasurable, this simple."

 

 - Gillian at the end, rationalizing the accident, but not quite getting past the fact that it wasn't a deer but Paul that she had hit.