Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: About Three Seconds and the Authors

irises1889 wrote:

WooHoo!  I got my book today too!  I am right in the middle of another book that I can't put down (Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese).  I'm going to have to finish that it even quicker so I can get to Three Seconds.  Looking forward to chatting with you all!  

Hi irises, 

How are you enjoying Cutting for Stone?  We're doing that for a January book club.  Is it a fast read or do I have to wear my thinking/concentration cap when reading it?  I'm trying to figure out when to fit it in.  Thanks.

Sheila

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Just came home from work And :My Book Arrived.."Happy"..I will follow the schedule,because if I don't I will finish "Three Seconds"...I did peek and yes Its a page turner..I'm sure we will have a schedule up by next week.  : ) I did read about the Authors...I hope to see many posts with "My Book Arrived"  Susan

Glad to hear your book arrived!  Time for me to start the "Brown Truck Watch".  I think this will be a "can't put it down" book. 

Contributor
irises1889
0 Kudos

Re: Cutting for Stone

Sheila,

I really love the book, but I thought it was slow going at first.  I don't think it's a fast read (not for me anyway).  The story is really involving, but there is a lot of additional information that the author details which gets a bit laborious, interesting, but a little too much if you're not familiar with the political history of Ethiopia. The story about the characters keeps you coming back, but you might want your thinking cap handy.

I hope you enjoy it.

Jen ~ irises

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

irises1889 wrote:

WooHoo!  I got my book today too!  I am right in the middle of another book that I can't put down (Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese).  I'm going to have to finish that it even quicker so I can get to Three Seconds.  Looking forward to chatting with you all!  

Hi irises, 

How are you enjoying Cutting for Stone?  We're doing that for a January book club.  Is it a fast read or do I have to wear my thinking/concentration cap when reading it?  I'm trying to figure out when to fit it in.  Thanks.

Sheila

I read Cutting for Stone a year or so ago and was totally engrossed.  The personal story of the characters takes place in a setting (East Africa) that most Americans are unfamiliar with, but for me that adds to the book as a whole.  I really enjoy reading about 'new' places and different cultures.  The story also moves to the US as a major character emigrates, by the way.  The details about life in that part of Africa were terrific.  The contrast between conditions in a hospital in Africa and what we would expect in our own part of the world, is showing us something we need to understand.  The characters were wonderful;  the dedication and commitment and love, along with personal weaknesses and blind spots...  I couldn't put it down!

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I just received my copy yesterday! It looks great!

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

This sure looks like a wonderful read. I do like a long story to read this time of the year.

Thank you Paul and B/N. You really are appreciated by us all F/L's...

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

literature wrote:

irises1889 wrote:

Hi irises, 

Sheila

I read Cutting for Stone a year or so ago and was totally engrossed.  The personal story of the characters takes place in a setting (East Africa) that most Americans are unfamiliar with, but for me that adds to the book as a whole.  I really enjoy reading about 'new' places and different cultures.  The story also moves to the US as a major character emigrates, by the way.  The details about life in that part of Africa were terrific.  The contrast between conditions in a hospital in Africa and what we would expect in our own part of the world, is showing us something we need to understand.  The characters were wonderful;  the dedication and commitment and love, along with personal weaknesses and blind spots...  I couldn't put it down!

Thanks, Bookworm.  Towards the end of the Three Seconds FL, I'll start it.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

irises1889 wrote:

Hi irises, 

Sheila

Thanks, irises.

Correspondent
Atreyu59

To 

Deltadawn

Yes, that knuckle cracking skit was a bit 'dark' & scary for the setting they were trying to achieve.

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of their favor . . . huh?

you commented;                   I liked when the author cracked his knuckles too

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

I've read down through the string and it looks like this book is going to be one that keeps everyone hopping.  I love crime novels and ones that keep you on the edge of your seat or make you lose sleep are really great.  
Having spent the last 20 plus years living with a cop, you have to climb inside their head to see the world from their skewed view point.  Cynicism is a way of life and the attitude that everyone is the bad guy until they prove otherwise is just the way it is.  
It will be interesting to see how the inside of this cop's head works.
Mtn Muse

Paul_Hochman wrote:

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

no I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of their favor! that's for sure!:smileyhappy:

Atreyu59 wrote:

To 

Deltadawn

Yes, that knuckle cracking skit was a bit 'dark' & scary for the setting they were trying to achieve.

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of their favor . . . huh?

you commented;                   I liked when the author cracked his knuckles too

Contributor
dq531
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just got my book yesterday and could someone please tell me where to get the discussion group schedule so I can participate.

Thanks,

Charlene

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dq531 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just got my book yesterday and could someone please tell me where to get the discussion group schedule so I can participate.

Thanks,

Charlene

Hey Charlene - its now posted under the thread "News, Schedules and Updates".   It's the 3rd post down.  Hope this helps!!!  We go to page 132 for Monday the 29th.

Becky in IN

Contributor
dq531
0 Kudos

Thank you Becky!

New User
lisa_belles
0 Kudos

Hi all! My book arrived a couple of days ago. Of course, I could not resist the urge to start reading...thought I would take a peek at the first couple of pages to get a feel for the voice. A short time later, I was on page 27! I am currently reading two other books, so I forced myself to put it down so I could finish the other two...but I am looking forward to great discussion! Wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving!!

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

irises1889 wrote:

Hi irises, 

Sheila

"Cutting For Stone" is another favorite of mine. I just finished it. Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

CAG
Contributor
redfraggle_98
0 Kudos

I just finished part 1 today.  Wow!!  I really can't wait until Monday to talk about it.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

redfraggle_98 wrote:

I just finished part 1 today.  Wow!!  I really can't wait until Monday to talk about it.

Me too! I agree, it's really good!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

redfraggle_98 wrote:

Will be hard not to finish or at least make a dent..Also wanted to Thank you Eadie. for reminding us of Ponie and her quick fun poems..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

redfraggle_98 wrote:

Will be hard not to finish or at least make a dent..Also wanted to Thank you Eadie. for reminding us of Ponie and her quick fun poems..Susan

I wonder what happened to Ponie - she was a lot of fun!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt