Frequent Contributor
JeremyCesarec
0 Kudos

An important message for all First Look members

Dear First Look book club members,

We’re so glad you’ve been a part of this vibrant community, and we thank you for taking part in so many wonderful discussions. However, we wanted to let you know that we won’t be offering any new First Look titles.

The Barnes & Noble community offers many other great ways to learn about new authors and engage in lively conversation, and we would love for you to explore them. Our Book Clubs are the place to share your love of reading; our blogs offer reviews, guest author posts, and book news; and we’re especially excited to highlight Unbound, where you can find all of your NOOK news—from NOOKbook offers, to Spotlight authors, to our weekly Free Fridays pick.

We look forward to bringing you even more opportunities to discover great new writers and books!

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590

Re: An important message for all First Look members

[ Edited ]

I am really sorry that this club will no longer be available. I enjoyed reading the books and of course discussing them with other members. Add  that I could  read a book before it was publicly available that was just icing on the cake.   Many people on the boards have been waiting for the next First Look book but  I guess the wait is over. Thanks for informing us. 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Scribe
DSaff

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the information, Jeremy. I am truly saddened by this because I have been part of the B&N community for a long time and have stuck through many changes. Many of us have supported the online community from the time it was B&N University, through the changes to the book discussions, and beyond. I think many of us will continue to look for places to discuss books that interest us, whether here or other places, trying to keep contact with friends we have made through the years. I have a wait and see attitude now as it feels like the discussion community is slowly going away. That would be a truly sad day for this company. I hope to see my friends in other discussions! 

I also want to thank everyone at B&N who has made the discussions possible. From BNU through First Look, Sneak Peak, and other book discussions along the way, you have made a place for us to congregate and become friends. I know many are gone now, but thank you so much for the opportunity thus far!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
kittykat59

I have been checking for the next FL on  a daily basis. I'm sadden by our loss.

:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

:smileysad:  I'm too sad to even comment.... The FL Club will be sorely missed...

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances

FL was an amazing feature, thanks while it lasted.  I hope that someone can think of aomthing like it to take its place.  I will try and motivate myself to get into another discussion group.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

I am saddened to see that First Look is gone.  I had many a great time both reading and discussing the new books and new authors throughout the time that First Look was available.  I hope that there will be a new forum for we First Lookers to navigate, as many of us have developed strong ties to our little group. 

Thank you for letting us know what is going on and Thanks for the Memories, and adventures in reading. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar

I was very sad to learn that there is no longer a First Look adventure.  It seems that now with the coming of the different "electronic books" available, and rising costs, "we" are losing the closeness that book clubs like FL  bring about.   I will always love having a book to snuggle down with and reading, especially when the power goes out and all electronic gadgets are no longer working.  Thank you BN for the chance to participate in First Look.  Maybe some day you will bring it back hopefully, If not it will be a great loss to so many new readers not to have had that experience.

Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Wordsmith
Tarri

I'm sad, but not surprised.  I shall miss all the excellent conversations, discussions, and new authors to follow.  Thank you B&N for letting FL continue as long as it did. 

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

All I can say is thank you for FL while we had it and :smileysad:   . I have my nook color now and was hoping for something like FL on it, oh well

Wordsmith
Deltadawn

I, too, am very sorry to see First Look end. It was a wonderful opportunity to read great new authors and discuss books with this great reading community. I would like to thank Barnes and Noble for the opportunity to participate in it.

dhaupt

You broke my heart on Valentine's Day :smileysad:

How truly sad this is, and not just because of the novels which were great but the community here too. So fare thee well to all my friends at First Look and Fare Thee Well First Look itself.

But there's no need to stray too far from here, try the book clubs they all offer something for everyone from Paul's crazy sci-fi characters to Melissa's Literature for Women, to Becke's great mystery reads, oh yeah there's even one for General Fiction :smileyhappy: so be sure and check them out.

Thanks for many happy years of First Look, but now it's time to move on to different things.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg

Like everyone elso, I am sadden to hear that the First Look program will be discontinued.  I am one who started with BN University, and have enjoyed the book selections and comments from all the 'regulars' who have been active for so long.  I also enjoyed hearing from the 'newbes' when they first discovered the First Look forum.   I can't say that I will run out of books to read; I have a TBR list to fill a room, but these selections were fun.

Thanks again BN.

MG

Wordsmith
BookWoman718

How very sad!  First Look seemed to be an electronic way to keep the sense of community that so many of us seem to yearn for.   It moved B&N from one of several sources that I used for books to the first source I checked.   From gift-buying for friends, to used textbooks for grandkids, to the latest great read for myself, I tried to show the same loyalty to B&N that I felt the company was showing to its readers with First Look.   I'm so sorry to hear that it's no longer sustainable.

It makes me wonder how much longer we're going to have those big beautiful stores that we've loved to lose ourselves in, browsing for just the right book.   

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I agree, the friendliness of the First Look group coupled with the excellence of Paul Hochman in his book choices, provided more in good will for Barnes and Noble than any advertising campaign they could have had; it is more than sad to see it go because it signals the end to the era of written books. Yes, sometimes there were too many posters who merely said I like the book, just to make a post to qualify for the opportunity, most of the discussions were worthwhile if you got in early.

I posted on another thread that many of us would have been glad to pay a fee for the opportunity to have such a wonderful group discussion and such wonderful contact with the authors. I am sad that they, at least, did not give that any consideration.

Books will disappear the way landlines have gone to dust. The baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. I don't know about you guys, but I find reading on an ereader less pleasant and it is much harder to thumb back to reread a particular passage or look up a particular fact.

Change is not always good ,but, as with entitlements, it will take a long time for us to come to that conclusion and by that time, whew, try putting the genie back in the bottle, not happening!

Scribe
DSaff

[ Edited ]

I agree that many of us would be willing to pay a small fee to continue this vibrant group, but fear that it left with Paul.   :smileysad:  While I also agree that some didn't participate the way they should have, I think most people participated. It did get overwhelming sometimes, didn't it. <grin>

thewanderingjew wrote:

I agree, the friendliness of the First Look group coupled with the excellence of Paul Hochman in his book choices, provided more in good will for Barnes and Noble than any advertising campaign they could have had; it is more than sad to see it go because it signals the end to the era of written books. Yes, sometimes there were too many posters who merely said I like the book, just to make a post to qualify for the opportunity, most of the discussions were worthwhile if you got in early.

I posted on another thread that many of us would have been glad to pay a fee for the opportunity to have such a wonderful group discussion and such wonderful contact with the authors. I am sad that they, at least, did not give that any consideration.

Books will disappear the way landlines have gone to dust. The baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. I don't know about you guys, but I find reading on an ereader less pleasant and it is much harder to thumb back to reread a particular passage or look up a particular fact.

Change is not always good ,but, as with entitlements, it will take a long time for us to come to that conclusion and by that time, whew, try putting the genie back in the bottle, not happening!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Bengel

How sad...

I, too, will miss the opportunity to discover a new author (one that I may not have even considered). It was such a thrill to wait for that UPS truck.

I guess all good things must come to an end.

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean

I must chime in and say that I am saddened by this turn of events as well. Without question this was an amazing opportunity to both preview books and share opinions and thoughts with fellow First Lookers.

I looked forward to checking in each day and seeing the ideas of others that I hadn't even considered.  Sometimes our threads took us in thought provoking directions and discussions became about a completely underlying topic and that only added to the enjoyment. :smileyhappy:

Although we will certainly miss Paul, I was oh so hoping that the First Look would continue on.

I hope that the suggestions that some have posted regarding paying for the club would certainly be considered as I would gladly do so.

I find it interesting that several seem to think this is the end of the "book by the fire" era and possibly even book stores in general as we know them. (Although I don't think the two are completely related.................I found myself having the EXACT same thoughts and can't explain to my own self why.......... :smileysad:).

I don't know if that makes sense but it just feels like the end of an era in way......

My children keep trying to purchase a NOOK for me and I keep holding off..........technology is calling my name...........lol

Thanks BN for all the First Look/Sneak Peek experiences and I am truly grateful for all the books we reviewed.

Thanks to all the friends I've gathered and the lively discussions and engaging conversation we've had because of the First Look opportunity.

I'm going to check out the other club choices and try to dive into one!

Hopefully BN will consider the "pay" option and we can all have one big happy REUNION!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Very saddened by The removal of The FirstLook Club..BN has much to gain by having us read,review and buy the books for friends and family..Very few Moderators can do what Rachel did,and I am grateful for her time spent with us..and SarahW for leading"The VixenFirstLook"...I will miss all the BNers who participated..Thank Goodness for Paul Goat  Allen and the wonderful crowd he attracts...We do have diverse Books that we are reading....WE even offered to Pay for a FirstLook Book,so the program wouldn't be Trashed,as BN has decided to do..PaulH kept it alive,Authors were so pleased to have us as their First Readers..So glad to see so many here in protest..I would think this is a Message to whomever is in Charge.To rethink their decision......Why lose us.WE are an Asset to The BN Community...A Big Hello to All That Posted.. I will miss you all..Thanks so Much for you Support of The FirstLook Program..Susan....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
bud12

Boo hoo!!! I echo the sentiment of others and thank B&N for the free reads I had and for the books that I totally enjoyed. The conversations by email gave me the opportunity to be in  a book club with readers from all over who had interesting views and who took the club seriously. If anything like it is ever revived, please post about it loudly so that I can have the opportunity to join. I miss it very much already...

Jo