Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: An important message for all First Look members

Miss it as well Jo,as you can see from my post and So many others..I don't think half of The now Disbanded FirstLook club know.this thread exists,,I think we are all on each other radar in case we hear something,.Hope to book Chat with all again : (  Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

So sorry to see FL go. It was a wonderful experience: excellent book selections, interesting discussions; great moderators. It will be missed by many of us. Thank you Barnes and Noble for a special several years. 

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

This truly is sad news! I enjoyed this club sooo much and have participated in all but 3 of the book reviews. I guess since the publishing industry has seen a loss offering this program wouldn't be beneficial. Well to my FL family I will truly miss all of the different opinions and enthusiams expressed amongst us. 

BnN please reconsider!! I think this program was great for both readers and authors, show Paul all of our comments I'm sure he'll want to come back and run this program as a freelancer lol! I tried!

Take care all! PM me is anything changes!

Danielle from Chicago

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

I too am sad to see the First Look program gone. I enjoyed reading and sharing in the conversations with others. The conversations were always so thought-provoking and interesting. Thank you Barnes and Noble for all the great reads sent our way during the run of First Look. I read many books that I might have missed if not for First Look.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

So sadden to hear the news of no more First Look book club; but will still stay active in other areas of B&N.

Great time while it lasted.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

I am so saddened by the end of the First Look club and I hope that this isn't the "end" of books as we know it.  I enjoyed reading the selections that were offered.  There is nothing like the feel of a book in my hands.  E-books just won't cut it.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I agree. Many of us were willing to pay a fee to continue to participate but the suggestion has apparently fallen on deaf ears since no one appears to have answered our comments. Too bad. I think I miss Paul H, more than ever. He was very user friendly and responsive. He made BN a warm place to visit.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

I am so saddened by the end of the First Look club and I hope that this isn't the "end" of books as we know it.  I enjoyed reading the selections that were offered.  There is nothing like the feel of a book in my hands.  E-books just won't cut it.

Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

It is disappointing; I basically joined B&N book club because of FL and then I started joining in on some of the other clubs but I do admit that since finding out FL is gone, I haven't logged in to B&N nearly as much as I used to.  Participation in FL broadened my reading horizons.  I even would go back in the history of FL to see what other books were pre-viewed and then purchased some of those books and/or suggested them for my local ladies book club. 

Oh well.....I am joining a second in person book club to try and fill in the void.......

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
dhaupt
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I agree. Many of us were willing to pay a fee to continue to participate but the suggestion has apparently fallen on deaf ears since no one appears to have answered our comments. Too bad. I think I miss Paul H, more than ever. He was very user friendly and responsive. He made BN a warm place to visit.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

Hi twj and coffee-luvr

I also loved FL and looked forward to the next selection and also the in-between sneak peeks too and Paul was a huge part of that. But guys don't give up on B&N Jeremy emailed me some time back and said that in their strategic plan going forward they are looking into something similar to FL. We have to remember that times are tough for everyone and companies have to put emphasis on other things sometimes B&N is no different and has gone through some tough times, but they will prevail. In the mean time keep the book clubs alive by participating.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Dhaupt can you please let us know if there are anymore development if they are going to be having some new kind of program similar to FL?

Thanks!

dhaupt wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I

Hi twj and coffee-luvr

I also loved FL and looked forward to the next selection and also the in-between sneak peeks too and Paul was a huge part of that. But guys don't give up on B&N Jeremy emailed me some time back and said that in their strategic plan going forward they are looking into something similar to FL. We have to remember that times are tough for everyone and companies have to put emphasis on other things sometimes B&N is no different and has gone through some tough times, but they will prevail. In the mean time keep the book clubs alive by participating.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

dclement, the last I heard was that B&N had discontinued FirstLook however they were working on something similar to the program and that was about two months ago. I can certainly ask again. I know I really miss the camaraderie we all had sharing comments and discussions during the program.
If you are looking for that type of monthly book club discussion I do offer that at General Fiction acquiring the book is up to the members but a lot of them get it from the library and the author is always involved in the monthly discussions for an added bonus to the members. This month we're discussing 

dclement04 wrote:

Dhaupt can you please let us know if there are anymore development if they are going to be having some new kind of program similar to FL?

Thanks!

dhaupt wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I

Hi twj and coffee-luvr

PB684
0 Kudos

It has been so long since I have logged on to the book clubs...B&N has made it very difficult to find you guys since they revamped their site and took the link to the clubs off their homepage. I had to get here in a very convoluted way! Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread and it is so good to "see" all of you. I truely miss the First Look/Sneak Peek Clubs and I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who wishes B&N would bring them back. It was such a great feeling to be able to read and review a new book before it hit the shelves. I can say that I recommended many of the FL selections to friends and found many authors that I might not have otherwise read.

Like many of you I have been here since B&N University and have really enjoyed this online "community".  It saddens me to think that it is disappearing. I hope the powers that be at B&N will rethink their decision to discontinue FL or at least offer another alternative that can fill the void. Please keep us posted:smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

dclement, the last I heard was that B&N had discontinued FirstLook however they were working on something similar to the program and that was about two months ago. I can certainly ask again. I know I really miss the camaraderie we all had sharing comments and discussions during the program.
If you are looking for that type of monthly book club discussion I do offer that at General Fiction acquiring the book is up to the members but a lot of them get it from the library and the author is always involved in the monthly discussions for an added bonus to the members. This month we're discussing 

dclement04 wrote:

Thanks!

dhaupt wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

I

Hi twj and coffee-luvr

PB684
dhaupt
0 Kudos

PB684 wrote:

It has been so long since I have logged on to the book clubs...B&N has made it very difficult to find you guys since they revamped their site and took the link to the clubs off their homepage. I had to get here in a very convoluted way! Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread and it is so good to "see" all of you. I truely miss the First Look/Sneak Peek Clubs and I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who wishes B&N would bring them back. It was such a great feeling to be able to read and review a new book before it hit the shelves. I can say that I recommended many of the FL selections to friends and found many authors that I might not have otherwise read.

Like many of you I have been here since B&N University and have really enjoyed this online "community".  It saddens me to think that it is disappearing. I hope the powers that be at B&N will rethink their decision to discontinue FL or at least offer another alternative that can fill the void. Please keep us posted:smileyhappy:

Hi PB 684, yes B&N has revamped the clubs, now calling them forums, but you can still get there from the home page.
While on the home page rest your mouse over books and there will be a side menu, on the bottom of the menu you will see blogs and forums, click there and voila there you are.
hope to see you soon.

PB684
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

PB684 wrote:

Hi PB 684, yes B&N has revamped the clubs, now calling them forums, but you can still get there from the home page.
While on the home page rest your mouse over books and there will be a side menu, on the bottom of the menu you will see blogs and forums, click there and voila there you are.
hope to see you soon.

Thanks for the info Debbie...I never would have figured that out!:smileyhappy: That is certainly an easier way to find the book clubs than the way I was getting there! I think B&N should make it more prominent (the way it used to be) on the home page since it is a very good way to find new reads. "See" you soon!

Paula

PB684