Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

beak77 wrote:

This is my First Look- Three Seconds. It is strange to have read Stieg Larsson's trilogy and now I am on Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So I am really getting used to Swedish names, streets, town names, etc. I am excited to see how Three Seconds fits in.

beak 77..Welcome to your First ,FirstLook..I'm sure all you have read will be very helpful and familiar  I am probably the only person on our Planet that hasn't read Stieg Larssons Trilogy,but I did learn some swedish a long iime ago so It could help..I find Swedish a lot like German..Looking forward to seeing you on the board..Its always a treat with FirstLook..Good Halsa..trying it out lol  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

TO beak77:

Glad to have you participate!  Now you have experience with Swedish novelist & maybe can help us newbies to swedish authors along with the terminology, names, etc...  

Welcome

:smileyhappy:

This is my First Look- Three Seconds. It is strange to have read Stieg Larsson's trilogy and now I am on Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. So I am really getting used to Swedish names, streets, town names, etc. I am excited to see how Three Seconds fits in.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy:  No your no the only one who has yet to read Stieg's books.  I don't read or buy because of popular trends, so I have not even pick it up.  I read according to my style & likes pretty much.

This one (Three Seconds) will likely slow me down due to the swedish references and I have no experience with that part nor have much background on the history of the area either. 

you said

I am probably the only person on our Planet that hasn't read Stieg Larssons Trilogy,but I did learn some swedish a long iime ago so It could help..

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi everyone Gail Marie is here, and I am hoping that everyone is having a great Thanksgiving Day.  Well I did received my book late yesterday evening, plus I just got my computer back for getting rid of a program that was trying to take over my computer , that was trying to  make me pay for a virus programs that I didn’t need.  So now my computer is back and running great. Any way I read little bits last night, so happy reading all.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

You are not alone, Susan. I read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" this year, but had a hard time getting into it. However, about half way through the story took off and I now have "The Girl Who Played With Fire" on my Nook. The first book got four stars from me and I am hoping the other two get five. I thought I was one of the last to read the series. LOL

Vermontcozy wrote:

beak77 wrote:

beak 77..Welcome to your First ,FirstLook..I'm sure all you have read will be very helpful and familiar  I am probably the only person on our Planet that hasn't read Stieg Larssons Trilogy,but I did learn some swedish a long iime ago so It could help..I find Swedish a lot like German..Looking forward to seeing you on the board..Its always a treat with FirstLook..Good Halsa..trying it out lol  Susan

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff

Google translator

I don't know about anyone else, but I like to look up words I don't know when I am reading. The foreign language parts may be small, but I have started looking them up. Here is a link to the Google translator and this one will detect the language itself so you don't have to figure it out, and you can also listen to it to get a true flavor of what is being said. I have been finding Polish so far.

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Google translator

DSaff wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I like to look up words I don't know when I am reading. The foreign language parts may be small, but I have started looking them up. Here is a link to the Google translator and this one will detect the language itself so you don't have to figure it out, and you can also listen to it to get a true flavor of what is being said. I have been finding Polish so far.

Thanks for sharing. This should be very useful.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Thanks for sharing. This should be very useful.

Hej..  Thanks Donna  very convenient  ..I use my Swedish dictionary  ..This is Great !!Good Dag (lol.)to pen and all.. 

Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

Thanks a million!  I have been using trial and error with guessing the language so that I could plug it into the translator app I have on my phone.  That will make it go much smoother!  Thanks again!

“A home without books is a body without soul.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

Haha!  I'm in the SAME boat!  I read the first book, and it took me forever to get through the first half, but then I was done with it!  I have the second on my Nook (no chance to start it yet, but hopefully soon), and then the third will be on my Nook!  And here I was thinking I was the only one!  lol  Glad to know we are all not alone!

“A home without books is a body without soul.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Out Stealing Horses  As we all know we get involved with so many books..TBR all of them one day,My daughter has them on her nook and is sad there will not be another,although there are those rumors.."Three Seconds "will be a Good Consuming Novel..,always have 1 or 2 Books as well for my balance lol...Still a few of us left that will read them one day....My one Scandinavian Author I love is Per Petterson "Out Stealing Horses" I did review it here and on Goodreads..Just Beautiful and gender friendly..I recommend him all the time..Susan

Contributor
tmcb
0 Kudos

Part 1

So I have started Three Seconds, I think I am on page 100 or so. Liking it so far... looking forward to the discussion on Monday!

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Re: My book came today

Love the new look, now if he will just stop by today. I still have time, Friday, 3:30pm.

Cora

pen21 wrote:

I think Paul sent out the fast UPS truck to keep the books coming.

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Thank you much for the link. I have it bookmarked. Just waiting for the UPS TRUCK

what ever color or decor it may be.

Being a close reader I'm slower then others but I enjoy reading this way the most. I think my writing practice brings it on. I like to disect the written word, sentence and paragraph.

Cora

DSaff wrote:

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

What an interesting "handle" you have there. "MomOf2Turds"

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Contributor
love2overanalyze
0 Kudos

Ha ha. That is so cute! I call my two my "hooligans" but occasionally they act like turds, (however a turd may act...lol)

AIRKNITTER wrote:

What an interesting "handle" you have there. "MomOf2Turds"

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG

Thanks Vermontcozy for your thoughts here. I am always interested in reading something different and appreciate your recommendations for "Let Me In" and "Out Stealing Horses".  I loved Stieg Larsson's trilogy and I am finding "Three Seconds" very interesting. I will check out these other two soon.

CAG
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I Curse the River of Time  

Kafka on the Shore  Good Morning CAG  I hope you get to read "Out Stealing Horses "Per Petterson  His new book "Curse The River of Time" has gotten good reviews..I did check out "Let me In"..I can't take credit for that book,but it does sound like a TBR for me..Another Author that you might Like..I am and have been for a while exploring Asian writers is "Kafka On The Shore.."really took my breath away..and have continued to read his books.."Three Seconds"is beginning to really amaze me..How little we know about what "Really" goes on between "The so called Good/Bad Guys" and as I have stated before..The line is and always has been blurry..Being raised in NYC  It was common knowledge how much The Mafia controlled..But it was/is part of life there..My mother and fathers generation felt very safe with that knowledge,more so than   with the Law Enforcement seems they were always "Working" together to pull off 'Major Stings" They needed/need each other..Some are even in the same Family...I hope we can stop at Pt 2 in "3"..It will be very hard,,Susan

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading J R Ward's latest in her fallen angels series

Crave (Fallen Angels Series #2) 

it has that same hard knocks dialogue and characters that we know well from her BDB series.

Very good

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Full Dark, No Stars

4 short stories in this book.

I am almost done with the second one.

Very good and more King's dark side, in my opinion.