Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Bravo everyone!

I just finished going through posts again, and am excited at the number and thoughtfulness of the posts. This is a great discussion!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Re: Bravo everyone!

DSaff wrote:

I just finished going through posts again, and am excited at the number and thoughtfulness of the posts. This is a great discussion!

I agree. This is a good discussion. I think everyone is very positive and excited about this book.

CAG
Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Ditto.  Great dialogues!

CAG wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I agree. This is a good discussion. I think everyone is very positive and excited about this book.

Jane M.
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I just finished reading the first section and am ready for discussion. I got the book late, but that was ok. I was a little at the get-go making sure I knew who was who. I made notes, it helped.:smileyhappy:

Again, thank you for this interesting book

Cora

Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

bookowlie wrote:

tmcb wrote:

Hi this will be my first time participating in First Look. So I got a message that said confirmed. I am assuming that now I just wait for the book to arrive. Then what? And another question, which I probably should of asked prior to this point, but is there any cost or fee to participate? :smileyhappy: Looking forward to doing this First Look thing.

Tmcb,

Welcome to First Look.  I think you will love it!

You're right, after  you get the "Confirmed" message, you just wait for the book to arrive.  Paul, First Look manager extraordinaire, usually posts when the books are sent in the mail.  Also, several people post when their copy arrives and where they live.  The books are sent by UPS 2-Day Mail, although I don't think all the copies are mailed out the same day.

It's a good idea to keep track of News, Schedules, & Upates.  At some point, a more detailed schedule is posted.  When the discussions begin, I think it can be a bit overwhelming to a newbie.  My suggestion would be to start reading the discussion posts within the first day or two to get a sense of the atmosphere.  If you wait too long, the sheer magnitude of the posts can be overwhelming if you haven't done this before.  If you want to respond to someone's post, either to agree/disagree or just comment that their comments were interesting, first click on "Reply To" on the person's post, then click on "Quote" so that their post will be included with your reply.  Most importantly, don't stress!  We are a nice bunch here and non-judgmental.  There are no right or wrong responses, no wrong opinions.  The great thing about this group is you will always learn something about a book from other's insights and points of view.

Sorry if I am rambling a little.  Just trying to pass along some tidbits I learned when I was a

newbie.

Carolyn

Such great advice, Carolyn, from another newbie here!  I have noticed how helpful everyone is and have greatly enjoyed the discussions.  What a great group of people!

“A home without books is a body without soul.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Paul

DSaff wrote:

The badge is a small square with the book's title and First Look. They are fun to add to the blog to get others interested in getting the book. You can find one by looking at this link from the  discussion of "The Poacher's Son."

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/First-Look-The-Poacher-s-Son/A-Custom-Badge-for-Your-Blog-Sit...

Atreyu59 wrote:

What is a 'badge for our blog' ?

Dsaff said:

Do you think we might get a badge for our blogs with this book? 

That is so awesome!  I hope they are able to do this again.  I would love to post it to my blog after I finish the book and can review it there!

Inspired Contributor
MomOf2Turds
0 Kudos

love2overanalyze wrote:

Ha ha. That is so cute! I call my two my "hooligans" but occasionally they act like turds, (however a turd may act...lol)

AIRKNITTER wrote:

What an interesting "handle" you have there. "MomOf2Turds"

Thanks a bunch!  I love it!  So memorable, and so true.  I have had a few people get mad about it and jump all over me about it, but the way I see it you have to have a sense of humor to be a parent (otherwise you would go totally insane) and most people, like you guys, love it!  I like being unique that way.  lol

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Did I miss something from Rachel about delaying the start of the Part 2 discussion?  No new topics today except questions for the authors?

Jane M.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Atreyu59 wrote:

Vermontcozy:  No your no the only one who has yet to read Stieg's books.  I don't read or buy because of popular trends, so I have not even pick it up.  I read according to my style & likes pretty much.

This one (Three Seconds) will likely slow me down due to the swedish references and I have no experience with that part nor have much background on the history of the area either. 

you said

I am probably the only person on our Planet that hasn't read Stieg Larssons Trilogy,but I did learn some swedish a long iime ago so It could help..

I normally don't highly recommend books because they are so personal but you have to read the Stieg Larsonn trilogy.  I initially had a hard time getting into the first book but I posted a "help me" in the community room and one person responded (wish I knew who) to keep pursuing.  It took about 80 pages and then I was permanently attached to the books.  It's on the same order of Three Seconds, equally as good and equally as fast reading.  I don't know anyone who didn't like these books.  I would recommend reading the books prior to seeing the movies.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Atreyu59 wrote:

Vermontcozy:  No your no the only one who has yet to read Stieg's books.  I don't read or buy because of popular trends, so I have not even pick it up.  I read according to my style & likes pretty much.

This one (Three Seconds) will likely slow me down due to the swedish references and I have no experience with that part nor have much background on the history of the area either. 

you said

I am probably the only person on our Planet that hasn't read Stieg Larssons Trilogy,but I did learn some swedish a long iime ago so It could help..

I normally don't highly recommend books because they are so personal but you have to read the Stieg Larsonn trilogy.  I initially had a hard time getting into the first book but I posted a "help me" in the community room and one person responded (wish I knew who) to keep pursuing.  It took about 80 pages and then I was permanently attached to the books.  It's on the same order of Three Seconds, equally as good and equally as fast reading.  I don't know anyone who didn't like these books.  I would recommend reading the books prior to seeing the movies.

My daughter loves his books..and I was caught up reading so many others,I can find the time this summer....Thanks for everyones  thoughts..Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

literature wrote:

Atreyu59 wrote:

you said

My daughter loves his books..and I was caught up reading so many others,I can find the time this summer....Thanks for everyones  thoughts..Susan..

I read book one and could not put it down until I finished it.  I liked it so much that I bought the movie (Swedish version with subtitles) and will watch it when I can sit down and really concentrate.  I bought book two when I bought book one, but friends have said that as soon as you read book two you'll want to read book three, Since it is not out in paperback yet, I'm holding off.    

Frequent Contributor
crazylilcuban
0 Kudos

The discussions look like they are going so well so far! I unfortunately haven't been able to read much because I have been working like a mad woman on a case at work (I work for a law firm) but our deadline was yesterday and now I can finally devote the next few days (which I of course took off from work, lol) to reading. I can't wait to catch up with everyone, but I skimmed through a few of the topics and just wanted to say I'm so excited to join in the discussion finally, there are so many interesting posts already!

Wordsmith
literature

I see that B&N is featuring Three Seconds, 50% off on pre-orders.  It should do very well.  I will certainly spread the word and then can be the proud mama when sales are off the charts.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Several other Swedish crime authors have been mentioned.  Other than Larsson, which ones are you familiar with and what of theirs would you recommend:

Karen Meek (journalist?  author?) Euro Crime

Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö

Val McDermid

Quintin Jardine 

Ian Rankin

Denise Mina

Allan Guthrie

Stuart MacBride

Caro Ramsey

(Yes, I'm too tired to go after all the links to their work that I should give you -- and myself.  So be it tonight.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Several other Swedish crime authors have been mentioned.  Other than Larsson, which ones are you familiar with and what of theirs would you recommend:

Besides those mentioned in the remainder of Pepper's post, one of my favorites is Henning Mankell.  A number of his books have been translated and some of them have already been made into films.  His most recurring character, police detective Kurt Wallender, is a sort of morose person who has become disheartened by the increasing violence in Swedish crime, but the plots are excellent, and the commentary on modern life is gripping. His books are out in paperback and widely available.

Frequent Contributor
crazylilcuban
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Someone else mentioned Henning Mankell as well -- my coworker is actually from Sweden and adores Henning Mankell, she suggested Mankell's books to me after I read Larsson's trilogy and when she was that I was reading Three Seconds. I have yet to read them, but I've heard many good things. Another favorite of hers that she suggested was Åsa Larsson. Jo Nesbø is a Norwegian author that I've also heard lots of great things about.

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

crazylilcuban wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Someone else mentioned Henning Mankell as well -- my coworker is actually from Sweden and adores Henning Mankell, she suggested Mankell's books to me after I read Larsson's trilogy and when she was that I was reading Three Seconds. I have yet to read them, but I've heard many good things. Another favorite of hers that she suggested was Åsa Larsson. Jo Nesbø is a Norwegian author that I've also heard lots of great things about.

Another Swedish author that gets high praise is Ake Edwardson. I confess that I have a few of his books that are still in my 'waiting to get to' pile on my nightstand. He also writes crime/detective fiction; I saw a brief interview/discussion of his work on the show 'Sunday Morning' a few months ago. There was a larger spot on the show about the Stieg Larsson-inspired walking tours in Stockholm, and Edwardson was mentioned.

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Thanks for the generous and diverse responses to my query about other Swedish (other than U.S.) crime genre writers.  Now we shall see whose TBRs you have expanded!  Certainly added some I will check, although I seldom have read in this genre.

Do keep the authors, books, and comments coming!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi,FirstLook "Crime Aficionado's" I have one more to add ,Lisa MarkLund"Red Wolf"her new one out in February,2011..  With many Kudo's from  "Henning ManKell,Kathy Reich and H.Corbin..She Wrote "Prime Time" and some others,,Including" Postcard Killers" Co-written with James Patterson...a Bestseller..I have her on MYTBR...Its part of her Annika Bengtzon , Swedish Crime Reporter.."Red Wolf' takes part in northern Sweden..A great Norwegian Writer Per Petterson"Out Stealing Horses.".,excellent.  " I Curse The River of Time"is his new one.            murderiseverywhere@blogspot.com  is one of my favorite sites..It just has such great Authors European, and Great insight..Just another spin on Crime...100% are Translated and were here on BN Mystery about a year ago. They were so interesting and fun...        

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Reader 4
robloi
0 Kudos

Though I read the Martin Beck series many years ago, I would highly recommend it. Sjowall and Wahloo are the foundation for all who have come after them. Rosslund and Hellstrom even cited them as being a important influence on them. {interview in Links thread} You might want to check out Karin Alvtegen. I read Missing, and found it interesting.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Missing/Karin-Alvtegen/e/9781934609286/?itm=1&USRI=karin+alvtegen