Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

robloi wrote:

Though I read the Martin Beck series many years ago, I would highly recommend it. Sjowall and Wahloo are the foundation for all who have come after them. Rosslund and Hellstrom even cited them as being a important influence on them. {interview in Links thread} You might want to check out Karin Alvtegen. I read Missing, and found it interesting.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Missing/Karin-Alvtegen/e/9781934609286/?itm=1&USRI=karin+alvtegen

Thank you robloi and Everyone With all these Great Books Posted...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Several other Swedish crime authors have been mentioned.  Other than Larsson, which ones are you familiar with and what of theirs would you recommend:

Besides those mentioned in the remainder of Pepper's post, one of my favorites is Henning Mankell.  A number of his books have been translated and some of them have already been made into films.  His most recurring character, police detective Kurt Wallender, is a sort of morose person who has become disheartened by the increasing violence in Swedish crime, but the plots are excellent, and the commentary on modern life is gripping. His books are out in paperback and widely available.

Just another thought here, but there is another author, Finnish, that you may want to check out. Her name is Sofi Oksanen, and she has a book called "Purge" that was published here last April. She's another author that people are comparing to Stieg Larsson (there's quite a line building!), but I hear good things. The translation is apparently a little rough in spots. It's on my nook right now, waiting for me to catch up.

When Aliide Truu, an older woman living alone in the Estonian countryside, finds a disheveled girl huddled in her front yard, she suppresses her misgivings and offers her shelter. Zara is a young sex-trafficking victim on the run from her captors, but a photo she carries with her soon makes it clear that her arrival at Aliide’s home is no coincidence. Survivors both, Aliide and Zara engage in a complex arithmetic of suspicion and revelation to distill each other’s motives; gradually, their stories emerge, the culmination of a tragic family drama of rivalry, lust, and loss that played out during the worst years of Estonia’s Soviet occupation.

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

elaine_hf wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Several other Swedish crime authors have been mentioned.  Other than Larsson, which ones are you familiar with and what of theirs would you recommend:

Besides those mentioned in the remainder of Pepper's post, one of my favorites is Henning Mankell.  A number of his books have been translated and some of them have already been made into films.  His most recurring character, police detective Kurt Wallender, is a sort of morose person who has become disheartened by the increasing violence in Swedish crime, but the plots are excellent, and the commentary on modern life is gripping. His books are out in paperback and widely available.

Just another thought here, but there is another author, Finnish, that you may want to check out. Her name is Sofi Oksanen, and she has a book called "Purge" that was published here last April. She's another author that people are comparing to Stieg Larsson (there's quite a line building!), but I hear good things. The translation is apparently a little rough in spots. It's on my nook right now, waiting for me to catch up.

When Aliide Truu, an older woman living alone in the Estonian countryside, finds a disheveled girl huddled in her front yard, she suppresses her misgivings and offers her shelter. Zara is a young sex-trafficking victim on the run from her captors, but a photo she carries with her soon makes it clear that her arrival at Aliide’s home is no coincidence. Survivors both, Aliide and Zara engage in a complex arithmetic of suspicion and revelation to distill each other’s motives; gradually, their stories emerge, the culmination of a tragic family drama of rivalry, lust, and loss that played out during the worst years of Estonia’s Soviet occupation.

Read that one with the LbW board.  Another tough book, from a very intimate and familial  perspective of the aftermath of tyranny and chaos.  Reminds me of Herta Muller's The Passport, although they are quite separate stories. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Re: Google translator

thanks for posting - - the entire time I had to look up words so I was not lost reading.

I am so behind - the holidays are hard to stay on schedule with the novel

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish Everyone a Happy and Joyous New Year!!!

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Happy New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! Stay safe. May 2011 bring you peace, hope, and prosperity (along with many great books to read, be they new or old).

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Happy New Year

The nook version of Three Seconds is out. Jeremy posted about it. See the link below.

Be sure to let everyone know what we thought of the book.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-NOOKcolor-and/New-NOOKbooks/ba-p/766828

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Happy New Year everyone!

I got so very much behind on the reading with the holidays & work schedule.  I saw the book in the stores "B&N" yesterday & right up front when the folks enter the door.  Neat book, will add my other comments as I catch up, and then my review even though it is later than I had anticipated.

Glad to have been a part - just wish the holidays didn't sweep me away with busy'ness

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

Has anyone heard if the First Look book club will continue now that Paul has left?    Rachel did a fantastic job. - hope she will continue with the First Look club now that Paul is gone.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

scnole wrote:

Has anyone heard if the First Look book club will continue now that Paul has left?    Rachel did a fantastic job. - hope she will continue with the First Look club now that Paul is gone.

That's a great question, I hope they continue also with Rachel

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

scnole wrote:

That's a great question, I hope they continue also with Rachel

I agree.  I keep checking to see if an announcement has been made about the next FL.

Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

I certainly hope that First Look will continue...is it in the community room where we will learn if there will be another FL book and when we can sign up?  Belated Happy New year greetings to everyone!

Jo
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

bud12 wrote:

I certainly hope that First Look will continue...is it in the community room where we will learn if there will be another FL book and when we can sign up?  Belated Happy New year greetings to everyone!

Hi Jo Happy New Year to you !!!.Its usually on The Announcement Page..I do subscribe to it  you know where it is under "Discussions"  Haven't seen anything..But I will check as well..Maybe soon for February...See you there lol  Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi literature  I was just looking around and came across a Thread here on Three Seconds..Its the First one.on the Board...."An Important Announcement"  pertaining to our Dearly Departed FirstLook .Its all protests  mostly..I had no idea this Thread Existed...Just for your information..I know you miss it as well...So many do.  It was great to see so many,but I am sure not everyone knows this thread exists..  Hope all is well....Best Susan

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi literature  I was just looking around and came across a Thread here on Three Seconds..Its the First one.on the Board...."An Important Announcement"  pertaining to our Dearly Departed FirstLook .Its all protests  mostly..I had no idea this Thread Existed...Just for your information..I know you miss it as well...So many do.  It was great to see so many,but I am sure not everyone knows this thread exists..  Hope all is well....Best Susan

Hi Susan,

Good to hear from you.  I couldn't stand it any longer being without FL in my future so I just ordered the March and April books for the general fiction discussion.  I ordered it through my local B&N.  I didn't know that if you prepay the books, you can get website pricing.  Plus, being a B&N member, free shipping even when under $25.  Now I feel better.  Both selections, Friday Mornings at Nine and The Collectibles are too new for the libraries in my area.  What's even better, the B&N distribution center is the next county over from me so I usually get delivery the next day.  Can't wait for the big, brown truck!