Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links

TheBookNut wrote:
Being able to use the internet when reading a book or watching a movie has always been a real help to me for years, not just to get more out of the story but it really sparks my interest in other things once I start searching. I always learn so much. Much never has it been as important as now, while reading this book. The links provided and finding others are really helpful in understanding the story and understanding the areas. The books I read have stories that take place somewhere in the United States and some in England. Reading about Sweden kinda threw me for a loop at first till I started looking things up. Then my head stopped hurting.

I've really gotten hooked the last few years reading mysteries (and other novels, too) set in "exotic" or at least foreign locations.  There are so many great authors out there!  Anyway, a couple of years ago I was reading one of Barbara Nadel's mysteries, which are set in Turkey, and there was a landscape described that sounded like nothing I'd ever seen.  I couldn't quite be sure I understood what she seemed to be saying.  So I searched online and saw great pictures of these odd rock formations.  Really eye-opening.... 

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

A Note to Peppermill: YOU ARE BRILLIANT! Thank you Rachel for this thread. Although the story is a really exciting one all these links will make the story more "picturesque". When I read I have a movie running in my mind and now I will have a much better movie.

By the way, the handgun used most likely was a 45mm.

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- Sweden and Poland

Wow, so cool. I never would have thought of looking this up. Gets you in the mood and what Ewert Grens is packing away in the boxes and letting go of. And not just for himself but for everyone within hearing distance of his office. 

Thank you

Cora

thewanderingjew wrote:

Listen and watch Siw Malmkvist sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3nULi8KAQ&feature=player_detailpage

Contributor
beak77
0 Kudos

This thread has been very insightful. I have yet to add a link. However if I decide to break the law I'm going to Sweden to do it so I can be in 1 of thier 55 prisons & get paid to study OMG. The Swedish PDF was informing and hilarious when compared to the US. I felt the system would not hold up to a country the size of the US given the criminal demands and geographical size of the US. It was still interesting and made the anticipation of Piet going to jail heighten.

The interview with the authors was nice to read. It gave you an idea of personality and their idea of working together on a book/project. I am excited to have them join the discussion on 12/6.

Adding actual pictures to landmarks is a nice touch also. I am a reader that would prefer to form ideas of the scenes in my head and leave it at that unless there is a movie release. However in some cases if I feel the movie will taint the vision I carried away from what the author wrote, then I will forgo  the movie- latest instance, Eat, Pray, Love. Out of the pictures posted the church was most interesting to me, mainly because I have a little gothic streak.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

beak77 wrote:

However in some cases if I feel the movie will taint the vision I carried away from what the author wrote, then I will forgo  the movie- latest instance, Eat, Pray, Love. Out of the pictures posted the church was most interesting to me, mainly because I have a little gothic streak.

Your post made me smile.  I read a LOT, and thought the section devoted to "Eat" in Italy was delightful and moved right along.  About halfway through "Pray" however, I got too bogged down and decided I just didn't care enough to spend the time slogging through it.  Never finished.  Then the movie came out with Julia Roberts and with some skepticism I decided I could spend a couple of hours looking at all those beautiful sites, and somewhat to my surprise I liked the whole thing! 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Swedish Mini Gun

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I never heard of Calpol and Piet kept giving it to his kids so I looked it up. This is some info on it.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It looks like a toy. Scary.

thewanderingjew wrote:

Swedish Mini Gun

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I never heard of Calpol and Piet kept giving it to his kids so I looked it up. This is some info on it.

I did as well .Seems similar to Benadryl..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Sadie1 wrote:

nbmars wrote:

I love this thread!  This is a link to a really informative interview with the authors:

http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2010/10/collaborating-in-darkness-part-i.html

Great interview!!  My oh my...what questions do we ask of these authors after reading that very informative interview.

I am loving this thread and this book!

Lisa in Georgia

I just read the Interview..So glad I did.Information that is so relevant to "Three Seconds" having Anders and Borge with us this week.is great..So many questions..and just reading their posts as well as other BNers here. will be .very exciting....Putting "Three Seconds" down has been very hard..But I am determined to stay with the schedule....; )

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I didn't know what Rizla papers were so for those of you who didn't know either, here is some info.

RizLa+ (French pronunciation: [ʁi lakʁwa], from Riz Lacroix), known in English as Rizla (pronounced /ˈrɪzlə/) is a brand of rolling papers and cigarette tubes or blanks in which tobacco is rolled or stuffed to form handmade cigarettes. It is also commonly used by cannabis smokers to 'skin up', make joints.

Rizla rolling papers and tubes are available in a range of thicknesses and sizes, indicated by the colour of the packaging. The varying thickness of Rizla's product range determine the rate at which the papers burn. The thicker the paper, the faster it will burn, with Red Rizla+ being the fastest and Silver Rizla+ being the slowest.

Contributor
irises1889
0 Kudos

This is great.  Thanks for posting.  I was wondering how small this really would be.

Contributor
MBSpencer
0 Kudos

Wow!  You guys are awesome.  I have learned so much from you and it's added to my reading experience.

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

That tiny gun is crazy!  Thanks for posting!

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

You guys are great! Thanks for all the links.

Donna

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Wow!  So it really exists!  I didn't look it up, but assumed it might have been a fictional creation of some sort.   I'm also absolutely intrigued by the methods Piet used for concealment and his skill as a book conservationist...

Thanks so much for posting.  I am passing this on to a couple of gun collectors I know. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Swedish Mini Gun

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

Wow!  So it really exists!  I didn't look it up, but assumed it might have been a fictional creation of some sort.   I'm also absolutely intrigued by the methods Piet used for concealment and his skill as a book conservationist...

Thanks so much for posting.  I am passing this on to a couple of gun collectors I know. 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Swedish Mini Gun

Thanks, TWJ.  I could visualize as Paula was talking about taking the gun apart and this picture just makes it that much more real. 

Contributor
redfraggle_98
0 Kudos

Thank you to everyone that has taken time to post links and info.  It has really helped my understanding of some things!:womanvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Yes, it is amazing.  But how does he get his finger in to pull the trigger???!!!

Jane M.
Contributor
beak77
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

Yes, it is amazing.  But how does he get his finger in to pull the trigger???!!!

Piet will solve that problem in the book. Keep reading! :smileyhappy: