Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- Sweden and Poland

high96 wrote:

Apparently prison is pretty laid back in Sweden:

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Prison/

There is also a pdf file of Basic Facts pamphlet of the Swedish Prison system with some statistics. 

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Documents/

Very interesting to read.

Thanks, High96.

Just took a look at this PDF:

Vision and core values
Information about Vision and core values of the Swedish Prison and Probation Service. 2008. 20 pages
Discontinuity with reality?  Or, no?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
high96

DSaff wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I like to look up words I don't know when I am reading. The foreign language parts may be small, but I have started looking them up. Here is a link to the Google translator and this one will detect the language itself so you don't have to figure it out, and you can also listen to it to get a true flavor of what is being said. I have been finding Polish so far.

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|

Here's a link from DSaff that was in the Community Room thread. Thought it would be useful to post it here. 

"I don't like secrets! All this cooking, and reading, and TV watching, while we... read and cook! It's like you're involving me in crime, and I let you! Why do I let you?" --Emile in "Ratatouille"
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links

Here is a link for FLETC, the center where Erik was training in Georgia.

(At first, I thought Erik was training in the country formed from the former U.S.S.R.!?)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
high96

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

high96 wrote:

Apparently prison is pretty laid back in Sweden:

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Prison/

There is also a pdf file of Basic Facts pamphlet of the Swedish Prison system with some statistics. 

http://www.kriminalvarden.se/sv/English/Documents/

Very interesting to read.

Thanks, High96.

Just took a look at this PDF:

Vision and core values
Information about Vision and core values of the Swedish Prison and Probation Service. 2008. 20 pages
Discontinuity with reality?  Or, no?

I would have to say it is discontinuous with reality. Though I don't know exactly what their rehabilitation programs entail. I like how they stated their mission is to

"ensure that the content of programmes and activities is adapted to the needs of the individual offender and that the conditional
release of prisoners is carefully prepared."

like an IEP in the USA's school systems they seem to have an "IIP"- Individualized Institutionalization Plan. :smileyhappy:

It also appears that though the sentences are short and the atmosphere consists of unicorns and rainbows, once you are released you could very easily be sent back. I will have to read more, but this seems to suggest that you are never really done serving your time and must look over your shoulder even when you are released having completed your sentence. Maybe like the US's sex offender registry, it depends on the severity of the crime. 

"I don't like secrets! All this cooking, and reading, and TV watching, while we... read and cook! It's like you're involving me in crime, and I let you! Why do I let you?" --Emile in "Ratatouille"
Inspired Contributor
high96
0 Kudos

http://medlibrary.org/medwiki/Br%C3%B6draskapet#In_popular_culture

Having only read part one, I don't know if there is a mention of prison gangs in this book but the link above talks about a gang formed in Tidaholm Max Security prison, which is mentioned in this book. (That's how I came across this link). 

Not sure if this is the gang in the Millennium Trilogy or not,  I would have to look it since I don't remember it. 

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- Siw Malmkvist

Peppermill wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

Listen and watch Siw Malmkvist sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3nULi8KAQ&feature=player_detailpage

Thank you, TWJ!

This is from her Wikipedia entry.  I wonder what it implies about Grens's age.

"Siw 'Siwan' Gunnel Margareta Malmkvist (born 31 December 1936 in Landskrona, Skåne County, Sweden) is a Swedish singer who is popular in Scandinavia and Germany. She had a number one hit in West Germany in 1964 with Liebeskummer lohnt sich nicht (English: Lovesickness is Not Worthwhile) and on 18 July 1964, a full decade before ABBA, she historically had also become the first Swede to have a hit on the US Billboard chart with "Sole Sole Sole", a duet with Italian singer Umberto Marcato."

Here are images from Kristianstads Folkets Park (p. 28), where they heard Siwan sing.  I didn't search for an image of her there nor select one that seemed particularly interesting.  Any one been there who could help?

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- Places

Sankt Eriksplan - Wikipedia with panoramic view available.  (Referred to p. 78 in text.)

“Sankt Eriksplan is a square in Vasastaden, Stockholm. The name means Saint Erik's Plaza and is called so after King Erik IX who is the patron saint of Stockholm and depicted in the city's coat of arms.”

“The main street of the St: Eriksplan area is Rörstrandsgatan with its many shops and restaurants. The short street of about 400 meters is said to have the most restaurants per meter in Stockholm.

“St: Eriksplan is the center of Birkastan, the western city part of central Stockholm. Birkastan is home to many small specialty shops, such as furniture refurbishers and record stores. There is a cluster of art galleries in the old industry buildings on Hudiksvallsgatan in the northern part of Birkastan.

“St: Eriksplan and surrounding Birkastan is a popular and expensive residential area, with apartment prices being among the most expensive in Stockholm, rivaled only by Östermalm.”

Images

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Three Seconds: Interesting Links -- The Murder Weapon

Peppermill wrote:

Radom"Your VIS (sometimes called a 'Radom') is a very well designed handgun based on the John M. Browning M1911. It was the standard pistol of the Polish Military prior to WWII. The one's manufactured for the Polish Army from 1935 to 1939, had a much higher quality than the later one's made for the Nazis.

"When the Nazis invaded Poland in September, 1939, they took over the manufacture of the VIS and issued it as a secondary firearm for the Nazi Army.

"Yours bears a Waffenampt (German acceptance mark), so it was made sometime between late 1939 and early 1945.

"The caliber is standard 9mm (Luger/Parabellum)."

(Bold added.)

For more.

Another interesting page on the Radom from the same site.

From Wikipedia:

“Vis (Polish designation pistolet wz. 35 Vis, German designation 9 mm Pistole 35(p), often called incorrectly Radom in English sources) is a 9 mm caliber, single-action, semi-automatic pistol. Originally designed by Piotr Wilniewczyc and Jan Skrzypiński in 1930 at the Fabryka Broni (Weapon Factory) Łucznik Arms Factory in Radom under Director Kazimierz Ołdakowski, it was adopted in 1935 as the standard handgun of the Polish Army. Considered by many to be one of the finest handguns ever produced, it is highly prized among collectors of firearms.”

(Heads up thought:  YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE IF YOU "REPLY" TO THIS MESSAGE WITH A LINK ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC.)

As I look back over the links ,and all are great...Pepper,It was The Gun that set the tone for me..As only you do so well.Shake us up a bit...Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Sue.  lol 

Didn't think about the shock value when I posted, just more like posting about all the plants in Daughters of Witching Hill, I was simply curious about something of which I had so little knowledge.

Sankt Eriksplan  -- do take a look at the panorama here if you haven't already.

I was watching The Girl Who Played with Fire tonight, and I believe at least on of the scenes is shot on that site.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks, Sue.  lol 

Didn't think about the shock value when I posted, just more like posting about all the plants in Daughters of Witching Hill, I was simply curious about something of which I had so little knowledge.

I was watching The Girl Who Played with Fire tonight, and I believe at least on of the scenes is shot on that site.

Pepper..I just saw the panoramic view of Sankt Eriksplan..tack,Susan.. Just using the little Swedish that I remember..The Weapon will be  great to show the Authors..But I have a feeling they are peeking in on us..Its a good way to get situated with FirstLook for the Authors...So many  great information links have been posted..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
laoliver67
0 Kudos

I just HAD to find out about Siw Malmkvist, voice on Grens' infamous tapes!  Here is a link to her fansite as well as a collection of photos of Stockholm through her eyes.  The webpage is in Swedish, of course, but Google will translate the page so that it is moderately easier to understand.  I asked my mother who is is in her late 60's if she knew of this person and after first saying, "WHO??", I said she was a singer in the sixties and she replied, "Oh yes!  I never really liked her." :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.siw-malmkvist.de/home/home.html

http://www.siw-malmkvist.de/galerie/galerie.html

Peace, Love, & Books
Contributor
TheBookNut
0 Kudos

Being able to use the internet when reading a book or watching a movie has always been a real help to me for years, not just to get more out of the story but it really sparks my interest in other things once I start searching. I always learn so much. Much never has it been as important as now, while reading this book. The links provided and finding others are really helpful in understanding the story and understanding the areas. The books I read have stories that take place somewhere in the United States and some in England. Reading about Sweden kinda threw me for a loop at first till I started looking things up. Then my head stopped hurting.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Thanks, Sue.  lol 

Thanks for this link, Pepper.  I never know if some of these are buildings, places or towns.

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

nbmars wrote:

I love this thread!  This is a link to a really informative interview with the authors:

http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2010/10/collaborating-in-darkness-part-i.html

Great interview!!  My oh my...what questions do we ask of these authors after reading that very informative interview.

I am loving this thread and this book!

Lisa in Georgia

Peppermill
0 Kudos

LangebroLangebro

This may be the view Jacob Anderson had of Langebro.  (pp 72-73)

Or maybe it was more like this shot.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Gustav Vasa HotelerVastmannagatan 61 -- a hotel near(?) the setting in our novel of Vastmannagatan 79.   (See pp 18, 75, 86, elsewhere)

Vanadisvagen"It was a beautiful flat on the fourth floor of Vastmannagatan 79.Three spacious floors in an old building, high-ceilinged, polished wooden floors, and full of light, with windows that faced out over Vanadisvagen as well."  p. 18.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vanadisv%C3%A4gen2010.JPG

Map showing the intersecting streets:

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/get-map-direct.php?vid=20882

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

Great idea!!

ct
Contributor
tjewell
0 Kudos

Thanks to all who have posted links etc here - This is my first "First Look" book and I am loving it.  This is a great addition to have this thread as well.  Really helps to add more depth to the book to be able to go to these links as well.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Ewert Grens opened the window.  He normally did around midnight to listen to the clock on Kungsholms Church and then another one that he had never managed to locate."  p. 62

Kungsholms ChurchKungsholms Church

http://www.ourtravelpics.com/?place=stockholm&search=church

This location has several other perspectives on the church.  In at least one (enlarged), it is clear that the clock is over the door, but up on the tower.  I just liked the atmosphere of this one, with the barren trees and the gravestones visible.  (The church architecture does not come across as impressive as a number of others in these pictures.)

The link shows several churches that are possibilities for the one Grens has never identified as well as a number of the Outer Court at Stockholm Palace.  As the photographer apparently was, given the number of shots, I am fascinated by the statue of St. George and The Dragon in St. Nicholaus Church.

Several of the pictures were taken from the main tower of the Stockholm City Hall.  I still haven't figured out were the police offices were or where the meeting with the higher ups was held -- don't know if the information is even there for us or not, just haven't concentrated on figuring it out.  (Maybe someone else?)

Clicking on these pictures enlarges them to fill your screen.  (Well, at least more than my screen!)

For more pictures of Stockholm by these travelers, try here:

http://www.ourtravelpics.com/?place=stockholm (I particularly like the aerial view that is such a neat contrast with the view of Manhattan when landing at LaGuardia from the south.)

Peppermill
0 Kudos

This location has a number of You-Tube videos of ferries from Poland.  Some are marked "Wawel" -- don't know the meaning of that.  One, very short, shows a ferry at night.

These babies are HUGE!  I have never seen a ferry like these.

http://wn.com/polferries